What are your biggest cooking/baking mistakes?

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 13th, 2012, 07:11 AM
*Sharon*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have two that come to mind. I used to make my Oma's biscuit recipe all the time. I had a friend over and I had told her how good they are and so I made them for her. They came out inedible. I mean, really inedible. They were soooooooooooo salty. The next day I realized what I had done wrong. I used baking soda instead of baking powder. Huge difference for saltiness. They all had to be thrown away.

The other mistake...I was making brownies to bring to a friend's house. I always seem to make mistakes when there is an audience or I'm supposed to be bringing a certain dish somewhere. Well, anyway. I was making the brownies and I was in a hurry. I forgot the eggs. I realized while they were cooking, but by then it was too late to add them. They had to cook for like an extra 45 minutes to even be cooked. And they didn't raise at all. And they were sooo impossible to get out of the pan. The taste was actually fine, but the texture was completely wrong.

Sharon, wife to Noah; mom to Belle (12.5), Ryllan (10), Finn (6), and Zane (3).

August 13th, 2012, 09:09 AM
michelle_m's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Rushing will definitely jeopardize a dish...but of course sometimes you have no choice.

My biggest problem is hands down doubling or halving a recipe. I just can't trust myself to double or halve all the amounts in my head. If I try to, inevitably I'll forget to adjust one or two, and the whole thing is ruined. So I've learned to write down the adjusted amounts. Sometimes I get cocky and think I don't need to, but the resulting disaster shames me back into doing it
Unexplained Infertility - TTC #1 since 5/08.
6/10 - IUI #3 with Clomid 75mg. BFP! 6/27/10...It's TWINS!
Esme Mireille, 3 lbs. 10 oz., and Nadine Adele, 4 lbs. 4 oz., born Jan 29th. 2011.
5/14 - TTC #3.

My Ovulation Chart

August 13th, 2012, 10:53 AM
Danijoy84's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Danijoy84
Haha! I so found out the same way with the baking soda, except I got too into the pattern of CUPS of sugar, flour, etc that I used cups of baking soda, LOL....WORST PEANUT BUTTER COOKIES EVER!

I think my biggest issue has been gauging pie filling when making homemade. Like with peach pie, you need to add flour to the peaches, so it's not runny, and I do this, but it seems like every once in a while I feel like it's enough and then I have so much runny peach juice I don't even eat the pie, blah!
August 16th, 2012, 05:06 AM
*Sharon*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
At least I'm not the only one with baking soda issues. lol

Oh, and Michelle. Just last week I did something like that. I was making oven pancakes and I was doubling the recipe, but usually I quadrupedal the recipe. So I accidentally quad the flour only. I realized right after I poured it in and was able to take half back out at least though.

Sharon, wife to Noah; mom to Belle (12.5), Ryllan (10), Finn (6), and Zane (3).

August 17th, 2012, 04:58 AM
michelle_m's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Whoops, Sharon At least you caught it!
Unexplained Infertility - TTC #1 since 5/08.
6/10 - IUI #3 with Clomid 75mg. BFP! 6/27/10...It's TWINS!
Esme Mireille, 3 lbs. 10 oz., and Nadine Adele, 4 lbs. 4 oz., born Jan 29th. 2011.
5/14 - TTC #3.

My Ovulation Chart

August 18th, 2012, 09:41 AM
ReaganorDean's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm not much of a cook, although I did make Reagan's cake from scratch this year, and everyone liked it. It turned out really nice. Ok....biggest mistakes...

In 7th grade I sifted brown sugar in home ec.

The last was an incident in which we were cooking crisp potatoes at 450 and I was using some ancient Pyrex dish. The whole thing exploded in my oven.....I was so hungry that night I actually asked DH (my boyfriend at the time) if we could pick the glass out and still eat the potatoes. LOL Of course we didn't, but I just about cried because they had been cooking for over an hour.
August 18th, 2012, 03:37 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Usually when something goes wrong, I can't remember what I did to cause it

Can't wait to meet our new baby GIRL!

Never forgetting all my sweet angels: Twins 10 weeks 1/2010 Baby B 8 weeks 8/2010 Angel 5 weeks 3/2013
August 18th, 2012, 06:22 PM
Super Mommy
Ummm, I guess you actually need to cook to make mistakes. LOL. I have gotten in to such a rut, I cook the bare minimum. I used to love to cook but can't seem to find or make the time!!
Baby #2 due 11/30/12
39 y/o, from Boston, MA

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search