The end of an era

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By cheyenne828

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 13th, 2012, 08:12 PM
*~~Shannon~~*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I want to cry. Emerson is 18 months old. He's had very little interest in nursing in months. He used to climb up on my lap and pull at my shirt. Gradually, I realized he wasn't doing it anymore and was nursing for shorter and shorter lengths of time when I offered it.

Last week I decided to test my theory and adopt a "don't offer, don't refuse policy". He hasn't nursed at bedtime since Tuesday and only twice besides that. It makes me sad. At the same time, I'm thrilled that the close of this chapter in our relationship has been so peaceful. Bittersweet.

Typos courtesy of my "smart" phone.

August 14th, 2012, 06:13 AM
*Sharon*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow! My kids never wean so young, but my bff had two kids wean themselves by 18mos or even earlier as well. But then her next one didn't wean until she was almost 3 and that was with a lot of encouragement. lol It sounds like he was just ready. Definitely a bittersweet time.

Sharon, wife to Noah; mom to Belle (12.5), Ryllan (10), Finn (6), and Zane (3).

August 14th, 2012, 06:35 PM
Super Mommy
Aww, I'm so sorry! But don't feel bad, you did a great job!!! Hugs.
*Sharon* likes this.
Baby #2 due 11/30/12
39 y/o, from Boston, MA
August 15th, 2012, 05:35 AM
*Sharon*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh, I just read my reply...want to make sure it didn't sound like I'm saying 18 mos is really young to have a weaned lil one. It's just my kids don't wean themselves forever. lol 18 mos is a fantastic amount of time for him to have been able to nurse and him weaning himself just shows he's ready to be done.

And although it is a bittersweet time, there is one thing I actually really enjoy about once they've weaned themselves. The cuddles I get! My kids still love to cuddle even after they've weaned and it is so nice.

Sharon, wife to Noah; mom to Belle (12.5), Ryllan (10), Finn (6), and Zane (3).

August 15th, 2012, 07:00 PM
ReaganorDean's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I give you guys credit. I pumped for 11 months and when I stopped I couldn't imagine doing it for a day longer...my supply was going down, and my plan was to switch Reagan to Organic cow's milk at a year anyway. I was very ready to have my body back, and was so so tired of pumping...especially at work. I think you can feel great about 18 months of breastfeeding. Most of the women I have met are lucky if they make it 6-8 weeks. Any amount of breast milk is good. We do what we can.
August 15th, 2012, 10:31 PM
Minilegs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I know the feeling. Both my kids were literally done at ten months. Ewan, I kept offering and he would either not want to or he would bite me on purpose once he latched on. It was sad for me. My daughter was done at ten months and never asked for it once, or acted sad at all. It was very strange to me because I thought I would nurse until at least 12 months.
August 16th, 2012, 02:00 AM
BB4CaLs's Avatar ~Brycen's Mommy~
Brycen just weaned a few weeks ago too...I'm happy and sad about it as I'll be nursing a baby again come February but he's still my baby too and he's growing too fast!!!

Callie (26) Dan (25) parents to Brycen Cade (March 6, 2011) and Bennett Reis, born 28 weeks 4 days (November 16, 2012)

August 17th, 2012, 04:35 AM
michelle_m's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I know it's sad, but I just wanted to say good job, mama!
Unexplained Infertility - TTC #1 since 5/08.
6/10 - IUI #3 with Clomid 75mg. BFP! 6/27/10...It's TWINS!
Esme Mireille, 3 lbs. 10 oz., and Nadine Adele, 4 lbs. 4 oz., born Jan 29th. 2011.
Hoping to TTC #3 in August 2014

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search