Crazy MIL

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By AZsnowflake
  • 1 Post By klockert
  • 1 Post By SkyBaby
  • 1 Post By ohnicole
  • 1 Post By Olivia&DelilahsMommy

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 16th, 2012, 10:05 AM
Super Mommy
Ok so Riley started clapping yesterday. And I was so excited and posted a short video on FB to which my MIL called me immediately after I posted it and was screaming "OMG I Taught her that! She is doing patty cake!!!!" Seriously? I really wanted to say "You didn't teach her anything since you did Patty cake with her a week ago and she wouldn't do it and all she is doing is clapping." But me being the nice person that I am just agreed.

Then she calls me today and asks what I want to do for "HER BABY'S 1st Birthday"...again, every time she blurts out "my baby" I cringe and remind her that it is her GRANDBABY. So I continued the conversation on and told her that I really wanted it to be just a small get together with cake and ice cream. Small as in My parents, brother, Brandon and his parents and brothers. That's it. Because I wanted to do it at my parents house (where Riley and I live) or if I am in my own place at my apartment. This sent her over the edge of the cliff. Apparently, for any child's birthday in the family, it has to be a big to do. Meaning, her 4 sisters, their kids and grandchildren (Riley's 2nd cousins), her husbands family, his sister/husband/niece, parents etc. Let me put it into perspective guest list wise... 56 people. Not including Riley, Brandon and I. That is outrageous. I don't have a whole lot of money and Danielle is saying we should rent a hall. WTH. Why should I rent a hall for a first birthday. She wont remember it. A first birthday is more for the parents to celebrate that they got through the first year with out killing each other, selling the baby to a traveling circus or otherwise just going insane.

I digress...Just thinking about this whole thing has made my blood pressure go up. All those people would more than likely freak poor Ry out rather than make her happy. I honestly just don't know what to do or how to go about the situation without screaming bloody murder at this woman. I know that she means well, but I am not a big party person. The smaller the group the better. Do I just tell her that she can plan whatever party she wants and then look like the bad mom to her whole family because I don't want a big party so she had to plan one? I don't see anything wrong with a small get together with immediate family.

HELP!!!!!!! Sorry for the long post my fingers were just burning and kept typing.

August 16th, 2012, 10:16 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Just smile and nod for her and then do what you want to do. There's no need to invite people you don't want to invite!
SkyBaby, promises1 and Meggin21 like this.
August 16th, 2012, 10:17 AM
klockert's Avatar Super Mommy
I totally agree with you about having a small get together with family instead of a big party. She needs to stop overstepping boundaries and realize that Riley is YOUR daughter and not hers. Just because you want a smaller party doesn't mean you are a bad mom at all. I hope everything works out.
Meggin21 likes this.

August 16th, 2012, 05:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I totally agree with you and Rachel. Just tell your MIL hey look this is how we are going to do it and this is how my husband and I want it done. Do it your way anyways and shell just have to deal with it lol.
Meggin21 likes this.

In loving memory of our angel baby, with us for 4 weeks. Baby went to be with God July 24th, 2009.

August 17th, 2012, 12:38 PM
promises1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Agreed, keep it small if that's what you want.

August 17th, 2012, 04:30 PM
ohnicole's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It's so frustrating when people think they have control over things that are none of their business! I agree- do the party how you want it!
Meggin21 likes this.
August 21st, 2012, 09:07 AM
Olivia&DelilahsMommy's Avatar Married to my soulmate :)
Yep just smile and nod, and do it the way you want. It's your kid, not hers.
Meggin21 likes this.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my siggy!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search