Not crawling

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By binz1031
  • 1 Post By binz1031
  • 1 Post By Crystal423
  • 1 Post By SkyBaby

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 27th, 2012, 02:49 PM
Mega Super Mommy
MIL is genuinely concerned Lily isn't crawling. I know some babies skip this phase and begin standing and creeping along furniture. Since Lily isn't standing yet but has tried to pull herself up some, MIL thinks she is developing a little slowly. Lily is already seeing a PT for her torticollis (tilted head and neck). That has improved quite a bit. They even think she is developing slowly because she shows no interest in crawling (even though, as I said, she tries to pull herself up to standing). She has mastered rolling and can sit pretty well, if I sit her up. She has yet to pull herself into a sitting position. When is that "supposed" to happen? MIL believes she will have some kind of learning delay as an older child if she skips crawling right now and will need to be taught crawling later to "catch up". Lily rolls all over the living room. She knows rolling gets her where she wants to go. She can push herself up well. She can also rotate on her belly, pulling and pushing herself with her arms.

What are your opinions on this? Should I be concerned?

In loving memory of our angel baby, with us for 4 weeks. Baby went to be with God July 24th, 2009.

August 27th, 2012, 04:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Personally, yes this would probably concern me a little bit and I would talk to our ped about it. Have you talked to Lily's pediatrician about this? Has she had her 9 month check up yet? What did the dr say about it all, assuming she asked you the normal milestone questions and what not. Have you looked into whether torticollis can delay these milestones? The other thing besides her not crawling that would concern me is that you say she can sit up, if YOU sit her up.

Some kids do develop very delayed and still everything is "normal" so you just want to make sure Lily's dr knows about all of this and see what they have to say about it.

Last edited by AZsnowflake; August 27th, 2012 at 04:44 PM.
August 27th, 2012, 05:43 PM
binz1031's Avatar Lindsay
What does the her PT say about it? I would assume that her PT could help with this as well.. Emma's PT did... Will she get in position and rock on all fours? Sitting is usually around 4-7 months... Here's a little thing about crawling I found

Developmental milestones: Crawling | BabyCenter

August 27th, 2012, 06:19 PM
Crystal423's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Piper isn't crawling either, but she is trying some. I think a lot of it has to do with the plagio/tort/helmet. Our ped. and PT doesn't seem overly concerned. I know a lot of friends whose children didn't crawl until 11 months. Every baby is different.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my wonderful siggy!
August 27th, 2012, 07:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Yes her pedi knows all about these issues. She will go back to her pedi next month for her 9 month check, being a December baby. He also was the one to refer her to a PT.

The PT does help, but since we only take her every 2 weeks, as that is how often they want to see her. They give me excercises and stretches to do with her for her torti. Also that they want her to be at least trying to crawl. They haven't given me any excercises for that specifically, nor for her sitting. All they tell me is get her up on all fours several times a day and sit her up some myself to work on her strength.

I put toys out of her reach all the time. What she does is she rotates on her belly so that they are off to her side instead straight ahead of her, so she rolls to them instead of crawling. Since she has found her own way to get around, motivating her to even try crawling is hard.

In loving memory of our angel baby, with us for 4 weeks. Baby went to be with God July 24th, 2009.

August 27th, 2012, 08:19 PM
ohnicole's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think you are doing the right things.... following the PT's advice and trying to motivate her to get moving and keeping up on her other exercises. Maybe your pedi will have more advice at her 9 month appointment, but I thought it was normal to start to crawl at up to 11 months or skip it altogether.
August 27th, 2012, 09:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnicole View Post
I think you are doing the right things.... following the PT's advice and trying to motivate her to get moving and keeping up on her other exercises. Maybe your pedi will have more advice at her 9 month appointment, but I thought it was normal to start to crawl at up to 11 months or skip it altogether.
I have also read some babies skip it altogether and go straight to walking. The reason why I asked here is because my MIL says she has read dozens of studies proving not crawling first is detrimental to overall strength development and that can cause musculature issues as the child gets older. She believes older kids who never crawled as babies have to be taught how to crawl and that it is hard for them to. I'm gonna google it here in a sec and post my findings in the first post.

August 27th, 2012, 10:07 PM
Cheshire's Avatar Mommy to three beauties!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBaby View Post
I have also read some babies skip it altogether and go straight to walking. The reason why I asked here is because my MIL says she has read dozens of studies proving not crawling first is detrimental to overall strength development and that can cause musculature issues as the child gets older. She believes older kids who never crawled as babies have to be taught how to crawl and that it is hard for them to. I'm gonna google it here in a sec and post my findings in the first post.
I've been hearing a bunch of stuff about babies not crawling also. I don't know anything about it but I do think every baby is different. My dad's daughters barely moved until a year! Heh.

August 27th, 2012, 10:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
So I googled it, and only found a bunch of experts in similar fields all disagreeing with each other on the matter. So my findings were inconclusive.

We are going to try a slightly different PT program, one that comes to our house, and see how that goes.

August 28th, 2012, 06:43 AM
One thing I read said because of the "back to sleep" campaign, crawling is happening latter...

I can give you some exersizes to do w/ her that we did w/ Emma... if you want

August 28th, 2012, 10:11 AM
Mega Super Mommy
^Sure! That would be very helpful,

August 28th, 2012, 10:23 AM
Ok, let me try to remember what was for crawling, lol...

Put a rolled up towel or blanket under her chest while on tummy, as she gets stronger, you can move it down to promote her to be on all fours.
You can put her in the crawling postion and rock her on all fours so she gets used to being in the position
If you have an excersize ball, put her in the all four position on there (while holding her close to you) and mover her around... You can also just do arms up so she gets used to putting pressure on her arms to hold up her weight.
For helping her to sit unassisted, do you haver her pull up say after a diaper change? While she is laying on her back take your finger and let her grab them and let her pull up on them using her stomach (you don't want her head to fall back while doing this) Also you want her feet to stay down (you can tuck them under your legs) This will help build her core muscles.
If I think of anything else I'll post it
Crystal423 and SkyBaby like this.

August 28th, 2012, 10:29 AM
Found this blog with some good info if you're interested

Back to Work

August 28th, 2012, 11:18 AM
Olivia&DelilahsMommy's Avatar Married to my soulmate :)
I would assume babies that have the torticollis (sp?), or any other issues like that would have some delays.
If your baby didn't have any issues like that, I think then I'd be concerned.

I would think the delay wouldn't be anything to worry about, just keep the PT up and I'd enjoy the fact that your baby isn't mobile yet...Olivia gets into EVERYTHING.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my siggy!!
August 28th, 2012, 12:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Lily is mobile though lol. SHe just rolls everywhere and gets into everything, even things I don't think she would be interested in lol. Yes you are right, babies with torti and those other issues often have delays, not because of a learning delay but because the strength takes longer to develop. Lily does have torti.

August 28th, 2012, 12:23 PM
Often delays in these areas are just caused by low muscle tone not learning delays,they want to do it, just can't physically do it, just an FYI (although it does take cognitive ability to do things such as crawling, rolling, moving of any kind )
SkyBaby likes this.

August 29th, 2012, 08:17 AM
Crystal423's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by binz1031 View Post
Often delays in these areas are just caused by low muscle tone not learning delays,they want to do it, just can't physically do it, just an FYI (although it does take cognitive ability to do things such as crawling, rolling, moving of any kind )
This is EXACTLY what our PT said, which is why I'm not too worried. Piper tries, but it seems a little hard for her right now. She does move, just on her back and butt.. haha
binz1031 likes this.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my wonderful siggy!
August 29th, 2012, 10:09 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal423 View Post
This is EXACTLY what our PT said, which is why I'm not too worried. Piper tries, but it seems a little hard for her right now. She does move, just on her back and butt.. haha
Ditto. Today Lily seems to be trying to get up on all 4s, but struggling. I'm going to give the other people a call today. Her PT is always saying she isn't making enough progress and doesnt do much when I take her in for appointments. She fights them so hard that she just kind of locks up and refuses to even play by herself. I think someone coming to our house, an environment she is familiar with and coming more often than I can drive all the way to her PT, would be better for her and they would see how much other stuff she is able to do and work with her based on that.
binz1031 likes this.

August 29th, 2012, 11:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBaby View Post
Ditto. Today Lily seems to be trying to get up on all 4s, but struggling. I'm going to give the other people a call today. Her PT is always saying she isn't making enough progress and doesnt do much when I take her in for appointments. She fights them so hard that she just kind of locks up and refuses to even play by herself. I think someone coming to our house, an environment she is familiar with and coming more often than I can drive all the way to her PT, would be better for her and they would see how much other stuff she is able to do and work with her based on that.
I think that'll be great... Emma's PT comes to our house and it is nice!

August 31st, 2012, 09:02 PM
maybethistime's Avatar Super Mommy
My five year old didn't start crawling til almost 11 months. I get told all the time how smart he is for his age. He is also showing athletic abilities. Dax is almost 10 months and is definitely not crawling. He rolls to things just like lily so he's not interested in crawling at all. Try not to worry and know that lily will do it when she's good and ready
2009/09/07 - Angel #1
2010/05/18 - Angel #2
DS born 2011
Baby #3 EDD March 3, 2014

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search