Pelmeni *Russian Dumpling*

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 28th, 2012, 03:15 PM
Alaska-Su's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thought I'd post this here since we haven't had a new recipe since my last one in September last year.

Tried Pelmeni at a shop in Anchorage this past weekend and they were good but not impressive, didn't understand why my sister loved them so much. We decided to try our hands at making them and so to surprise my sister I made some and they turned out amazing! Now I can see why she loves them. I found a recipe online and tweaked it a tiny bit and used a short cut of won ton wrappers instead of making the dough.

Ingredients:
-won ton wrappers (it's a cheat lol didn't want to make the dough)
-ground beef
-ground pork
-green onions
-minced garlic
-cilantro
-cumin powder
-turmeric powder
-onion powder
-1 box beef broth
-1 egg with 2 Tbsp water egg wash)
-Sour cream
-Hot sauce *optional*

I sliced up two green onions and some cilantro and threw it in a mixing bowl with 8oz ground beef and 8oz ground pork. Sprinkled some turmeric and cumin powder over it (just eyed it) and then a little bit of onion powder since there's already green onions in it. Mixed it all together.

Then I made the egg wash and one wrapper at a time spread some of the wash over it then put 1tsp of filling in the center and folded the wont ton wrapper over to make a triangle. Then pressed sides together and folded the top corner over and the two outsides one in toward the bottom center of the filling.

In a deep pot I filled half with water and half with beef broth, this left about two to three inches from the rim. Just eye it, you want to make sure you have enough room to allow the broth to boil. If you like, you can use less broth. I just figured beef broth would be great but usually the recipe just has you boil it in lightly salted water.

Once you have all the dumplings assembled, bring the broth to a boil and drop a few in. I did about 6 at a time. Set a time for 5 or 6 minutes and let them boil. If you don't have a timer just watch them and when they begin to float at the top without dropping (obviously the boiling water will push them around so you can just take the pot off the burner and let the surface calm to really check) they are done.

They're best eaten fresh so once they're done, plate them up and you can throw on some cilantro, some of the spice powders, green onions, hot sauce, and sour cream. Any of these toppings is optional. Though sour cream and cumin is usually the common topping.

Thanks Tasha_Mae for my siggy!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search