Biting?

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By navywifey2003
  • 1 Post By tricia_16_

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 30th, 2012, 06:13 PM
sweetgirl51305's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Lilli keeps biting us. It just started a few weeks ago. Seems to be around the same time she moved to the toddler room. She runs up to us and bites. Legs, my chest, arms. How would you handle this if it were your child? We keep telling her no. Dh even tried lightly biting her on the arm. She thought it was funny. I don't want to start a debate. I know it's common at this age range. I don't know if she learned it from school or what, but I don't want her to be the biter. Ya know? Anyone have suggestions?

~*Visit my ETSY shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/SillyWillyLilli*~
August 30th, 2012, 06:40 PM
Platinum Supermommy
little rose has started doing this. When she does, I say "no" sternly and put her down and away from me. It may take a few times, but they get the point eventually. Just be consistent and let her see that you are not happy.
August 30th, 2012, 07:18 PM
joonzgurl's Avatar Proud mama of 2 girls
I don't know what to tell you because Avery has not started that yet (except she is biting a bit when nursing). Hope it passes for you guys!

Proud mama to:

Avery Elizabeth (08/27/2011) & Dawsyn Brielle (10/29/2013)
August 30th, 2012, 07:42 PM
~Rae~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Xavier does it, & we do what Dee does. I can't say it helps because he still bites, but idk what else to do.
My mistake was screaming "yowww!" when he first bit me. He thought it was funny, so half the time he bites for entertainment, & half the time he does it out of retaliation. They certainly know how to find those sensitive spots, don't they? His favorite spot to bite is my stomach.

August 30th, 2012, 08:41 PM
Veteran
Yep I got a biter here too. I'm just stern with her. Sometimes she stops sometimes not. If she doesn't I put her down.
August 30th, 2012, 09:29 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Everett only bites when he is pulling off the boob. But I would suggest just continuing with the no or ouch that hurts then put her down or move. Biting her back is only going to cause her to bite more. She will begin to see that well they are biting so I am going to bite too. Is she teething at all anymore? Usually they bite when they teeth as well its soothing for them. Just continue to redirect her and eventually she will get it.
AniLand likes this.

August 31st, 2012, 05:50 AM
tricia_16_'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to tricia_16_
I'm not sure what I would do. Probably bite back. (Yes, probably not the best parenting, but it's what my parents did to me and it worked.)

Kaylee was bitten by a girl at my mom's house and had teeth marks on her little elbow for a week! I would like to bite that kid... hahaha
~Rae~ likes this.
August 31st, 2012, 08:39 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Both of mine have been biting for months. It drives me NUTS, especially because they typically attack each other. They get pissed off that one is touching the other's toy, and CHOMP. I have no idea what to do to stop it to be honest. It makes me crazy.
August 31st, 2012, 08:53 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Will went through a biting phase a few months ago, but it was only because he was teething & I'm sure it felt good. So I didn't do anything and he stopped after a couple weeks. If he started biting now, I would say "no" over and over until he got it.

William Jeffery, born 8/1/11
Evan John, born 2/24/13

Visit my blogs.
http://www.anilandcontinuied.blogspot.com/
http://reverendanissa.blogspot.com/
August 31st, 2012, 10:24 AM
irishblessing's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
He does it when he's teething, but he does find it entertaining as well. And lately he's been grabbing onto people and trying to bite them. It's not a huge problem because he doesn't do it that often. I usually just say "NO biting" really sternly. Sometimes he still thinks it's funny.

Thank you Vicki for my new siggy!
September 2nd, 2012, 09:55 AM
sweetgirl51305's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks guys. Glad to know I'm not the only one going through it! Not sure about her teething. I don't see any coming in, but that doesn't mean she's not. She thinks us saying oww is hilarious too, and continues to bite.

Now what I can't help but laugh at, is she pulls dh's leg hairs. He says oww and she keeps doing it. That is the funniest thing. Yes, my child is evil! LOL

~*Visit my ETSY shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/SillyWillyLilli*~
September 2nd, 2012, 12:19 PM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
Keelan doesn't bite, but Gabby has bitten him more times than I can count.

What we generally do is grab her firmly and say "no biting" or "we don't bite" and put her down or in the play pen for a minute or two.
September 2nd, 2012, 12:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Tristan bites sometimes when he's nursing and it hurts but I try not to react otherwise he either a) cries or b) laughs. When I don't give a reaction he doesn't do it again (at that time)

Thank you babydoll213 for my siggy!
September 3rd, 2012, 05:54 AM
Mama.Angie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Alexis bites like crazy when she's teething. Otherwise she will nip here and there, but not anything near as difficult as teething bites.
September 3rd, 2012, 10:57 AM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm def no expert but I've had five toddlers in five years----all my other four bit and Joey is doing it too. From experience, us biting the kids back doesn't work, they think its funny and we never actually bit hard enough for them to notice it really hurt so it was kind of a joke anyhow. A firm no and avoiding eye contact for a few minutes is really what worked for my other four. Then they really knew they crossed the line. Seems to be a phase, biting feels good when you're growing teeth
September 4th, 2012, 06:29 AM
teacher.123's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Savannah went through a short period of that. She would bite my knee if I was sitting on the couch and she was standing next to me. I would just say, "Ouch! (like it really hurt me), That hurt Mommy. We don't bite." If she repeated the behavior I would say it again and either pick her up and explain to her why we can't bite (not that she understands, but one day she will) or put her in another area of the room to distract her.

She hasn't done it in a while, but I'm sure it will resurface again. I remember getting bit very bad from my cousin at a young age around 3. I had marks for it seems like hours. He was given a time out I believe. I wouldn't worry to much about it. I think it is a normal stage kids go through. As long as you let her know it's not okay from the very beginning she will eventually learn.

September 5th, 2012, 12:19 PM
Happy Mommy
just when teething, and I say ow and pull away. though she only does it if you stick a finger in her mouth so I can't blame her
September 5th, 2012, 10:09 PM
DaniB+3's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Miles is one mean little biter. He bites for humor, retaliation, anger, boredom...the works. It drives me nuts. He's my first biter so I've been caught off guard by it. I mostly just sternly tell him no and then set him down on the floor. At which points he throws an epic tantrum and slams his head into the floor. So not awesome .

Thank you, *sharon*, for my siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search