Moms of preschoolers

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By irishblessing

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 4th, 2012, 12:52 PM
~Rae~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Layla starts school tomorrow!! We are so very excited, but I'm worried.

Teachers give NO assistance in the restroom. Layla is completely trained, but up until recently, we have been going into the restroom with her to supervise. A couple weeks ago we started sending her in alone, and she has done a great job wiping, flushing, & pulling her panties back up. She can't wash her hands on her own since she is still not tall enough to reach the faucet, even with her stool.
I'm nervous because I haven't taught her to wipe after she poops. I just don't think she's ready for that. My question is, if your preschooler handles that on his own, how did you teach it? How does it go?

I just think this is too much to expect a barely 3 year old to do. I'm hoping & praying she doesn't have to poop until she comes home!

September 4th, 2012, 01:10 PM
irishblessing's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Kaitlyn does it on her own but she is a bit older. I just told her the basics, wipe from front to back, take a few squares of TP and fold them up to keep your hands clean, wipe until it's clean but don't full the whole toilet with TP (which she did at first! lol).

It goes well, she seems to get clean well enough and is tall enough to wash her hands with her stool. I would just start having her do it when at home so you can help out and offer suggestions that would make it easier for her.
~Rae~ and mom2more like this.

Thank you Vicki for my new siggy!
September 4th, 2012, 01:23 PM
Platinum Supermommy
M was good about it, but still sometimes misses a spot. K will fill the toilet, just to see what happens. I started buying wet wipes for the kids (mainly K) to use at home. It seems to help.

Really, teach that they only need a few squares of tp, wipe front to back and repeat until clean. I still help sometimes if it's really messy.
September 4th, 2012, 01:39 PM
Happy Mommy
umm just tell her 'make sure you wipeyour butt' no seriously I'm sure she's watched you enough to know what to do.
September 4th, 2012, 01:47 PM
Ro, I wish it were that easy. Maybe it's just my kid, but it's going to take a little bit more than just telling her to wipe. I'm not sure what, but I know it's more.
Maybe maturity?? I don't know.
She's smart, but she just turned 3 in July. Shes also not the super independent type. I had planned, based on her personality, to have her wipe herself after pooping around 3 1/2, but school had other plans in mind. I guess we'll see!

September 4th, 2012, 03:23 PM
Mama.Angie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Kairi starts JK next Tuesday. She can go to the toilet, wash her hands, put her pants on etc.... but wiping is something she's not very good at when she remembers to do it. She's also bad with remembering to flush. I'm kind of nervous about that fact. Might make for some embarrassing moments for her. The teachers told the parents though during orientation that some kids might come home smelly, because they don't help with the bathroom stuff, and just to keep working away at it at home. They DO however assist with buttons if need be, though they wish kids would come with pants they can do up and down themselves. They will also help with making sure hands get washed etc.

Our classroom toilet has a stool at the sink for the little littles. I would that that mandatory? Not every child is going to reach the sink?
September 4th, 2012, 03:27 PM
Happy Mommy
I think I only helped here and there for any of my girls. yeah they'd end up with some streaks here and there. but I figured better they just learn then me keep doing it.
September 4th, 2012, 03:35 PM
Thanks Angie! It helps to know I'm not the only nervous one. Yes, they have a stool at the sink, so I'm not worried about that. Im just shocked they expect all 3 year olds to be able to handle all toileting independently. Our pedi told us that some 25-30% of kids are trained AFTER 3, so it shocks me they expect for the entire class to be not only trained, but able to wipe well enough to not cause a disaster. We'll keep working with her & I'm sure she'll get it soon. I just think its a lot.

Oh yeah, & they have the big public sized toilets, not the ones in homes.

September 4th, 2012, 03:43 PM
Mama.Angie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yeah, see 3 is different. Kairi is 4. She could not have attended at 3. She didn't train until 3 years and 6 months much to my horror. Some kids simply are not ready. It was not for lack of trying! I do think it's a lot to expect of a 3 year old to be fully trained in every little aspect of toileting.
September 4th, 2012, 03:59 PM
kiszi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Luke is 4 and took a very long time to potty train; we are actually still working through some poop issues/withholding. He still isn't wiping himself, he hasn't seemed ready but it looks like it's time. His preschool did say that they expect kids to be trained but didn't go into detail, hopefully he won't poop at school until he knows how to wipe? Thankfully it's only 2.5 hours.

September 4th, 2012, 09:16 PM
mom2more's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was going to say that preschool is only a few hours. She will probably not poop daily at preschool. And if she does poop at preschool and not wipe as good as she should she will be home soon after and can change. It will be a learning experience for her. Everything takes practice.

September 4th, 2012, 11:43 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
N and E do it, but do a terrible job-I shower them often
Our preschool teachers here don't help at all either

Lucky mother to five!

September 5th, 2012, 01:34 AM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
Daniel was in preschool at 3 and I honestly can't even remember if this is something I thought about then. He was just trained at 2 years and 7 months so he wasn't trained long before going to preschool. Of course, the school day wasn't very long and he had a change of clothes there.
September 5th, 2012, 08:59 AM
Preschool is from 9-230. I thought about it a lot last night, & I'll probably just put her in the tub as soon as she gets home.
Thanks ladies!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search