Going from one kid to two!

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree11Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 4th, 2012, 12:05 PM
tricia_16_'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to tricia_16_
I have heard it said many, many times that going from one child to two children is AWFUL!

So for those of you who have done it... any tips for making the transition a little easier?
September 4th, 2012, 12:06 PM
irishblessing's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Going from one kid to two for us was a piece of cake, literally so easy. It was way easier to adjust to than going from 0-1. But I know that isn't the case with everyone and mine are 3 years apart so I'm sure that helped.
~Rae~ and Dixana like this.

Thank you Vicki for my new siggy!
September 4th, 2012, 12:19 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I had a fairly independent 2 year old so it wasn't bad. It took longer to get out the door though. Be patient, take your time and don't make a lot of plans out the gate. Be ready to try and get some one on one time with the older one without baby. Having DH involved as much as possible will help too.
AniLand and Dixana like this.
September 4th, 2012, 12:24 PM
~Rae~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Going from 1 to 2 was soooo much easier than from 0 to 1. For one thing, I was much more relaxed. I already had a plan & didn't worry as much. I had my own knowledge base to pull from instead of having to rely on other people's experiences as advice.
I remember freaking out about everything from installing a car seat, to changing a blow out, to breastfeeding when I was a new mom. Second time around, I just did what worked for me the first time around. No trial runs.
AniLand and Dixana like this.

September 4th, 2012, 12:38 PM
Happy Mommy
1 to 2 was awesome. 2 to 3 sucked ***, no lie
DaniB+3 likes this.
September 4th, 2012, 12:39 PM
tricia_16_'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to tricia_16_
Well you ladies are making my day here! lol I had heard that going from 2-3 was way easier than 1-2, so the fact that you are saying otherwise is making me oh so happy
September 4th, 2012, 12:41 PM
Happy Mommy
think of it this way. you have two arms, two legs(for sitting on), two hands and so on. but not three.

you'll be fine
September 4th, 2012, 12:56 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Ive had the opposite experience going to 3 was a breeze but going from 1 to 2 was awful. But my situation is different,DH was deployed shortly after Katelynn was born and I had awful PPD.

September 4th, 2012, 01:02 PM
mom2more's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have no advice. I went from 1-3. And then 3-4. 3-4 was easy. 1-3 was difficult, but it was because we were blending families (me and my son with my hubby and his two kids).

I just wanted to say good luck!! And I am sure you will be fine

September 4th, 2012, 01:10 PM
Dixana's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I totally agree with the other girls, 1-2 is so, SO much easier than 0-1.
I mean, I won't lie, the first night Katelyn was home I was tired, alone (Dale had to go back OTR the day after she was born), hungry, AJ was being a terror, the house was trashed, I was trying to cook a pizza, and Katelyn would just scream unless I was holding her. I stood in the kitchen and just sobbed.
So a few tips for the first few days!
Have help. Have a friend or a family member or someone to come help do dishes, fold laundry, any little helps!
Make some freezer to oven meals for the first week. A pan you can take out of the freezer and stick in the oven will be a godsend during that transition time.
Try to have no plans the first week or two after baby comes home. Giving yourself time to get into a routine makes things much easier.
My mom came and spent a week with us after Katelyn came. It made a world of difference. AJ got much needed extra attention while he adapted to having a sibling.

Really though, after the first couple weeks you will wonder what you ever did without baby number 2
irishblessing likes this.

Thanks to the awesome Rachel for my siggy!

September 4th, 2012, 01:11 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
1-2 was really easy for me too. Like Ro said, was what it was for me. With the first you have NO idea what you're doing. With 2, you're more confident of your parenting, you've been through most of it before, you've got 2 hands, etc. 2-3 is a bit crazy, because your hands are outnumbered (and when you're out as a family, the parents are outnumbered).

The biggest issue I had with Erin was when Patrick would cry, I would just drop everything I did to go tend to him and she got really jealous. So I started talking to her about it first "is that the baby crying? Do you think he is hungry? Should I get him and feed him? okay, do you want to come with me?" That way she knew what we were doing together was still important, and it was more her choice to go get him.
Dixana likes this.

September 4th, 2012, 01:35 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I agree about the 0-1 vs 1-2. 0-1 way harder. 2-3 is also way harder. We still have to make sure everyone gets their special time with us. Even now K is more obnoxious when all 3 of them are together, but when it's him and either sister, he's fine.
September 4th, 2012, 02:15 PM
Mama.Angie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
1 to 2 was nothing! Alexis fit into our lives with no fuss.
September 4th, 2012, 02:40 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'll be the dissenting voice, LOL. I had a much harder time going from 1-2 than 0-1. But I attribute that all to Lew not liking to sleep. Ever. When every one else was talking about going from 3 naps to 2, I was thrilled we were going from 0 to 1! Not kidding!!! So I have just been dog tired for a year.
As for advice....good stuff already said here. I have tried to involve my 3 year old as much as possible. He likes to help by getting me diapers or putting Lew's clothes in the hamper, that kind of thing. Plus I have always kept Chuck's bedtime as sacred just the two of us time. If Lew was awake, he would go into the bassinet or later the exersaucer for 10 minutes so Chuck and I could have our special time.

Lew, 1, DSD Lauren, 18, and Chuck, 4
September 4th, 2012, 03:03 PM
kiszi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Taking care of 2 isn't hard, the hardest thing for me was (and still is) dealing with some behavioral issues in Luke. He turned into a clingy, whiny child when Kayli was born and was a bear to deal with for a while. Things are finally starting to calm down, but not without lots of attention, love and patience. I also agree with giving yourself more time to do things and get ready to leave in the morning.

September 4th, 2012, 03:31 PM
mccaroline's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
0-1 was very difficult for me, being as I lived in a family where I was the only child, anywhere! As in I had no cousins, or anything so I really had no idea what I was doing with a baby.

1-2 was pretty easy, I could nurse DD2 and still have DD1 curl up beside me and read a story, DD2 came with me to DD1's activites, I had 2 hands for parking lots, 2 knees for cuddles, etc.

2-3 for me has been seriously misserable! We're out numbered. I always feel like one child is being left out, my goal now is to make sure it's not the same child all the time. The other problem is the age difference makes it so no 2 are interested in the same activites at the same time.

September 4th, 2012, 04:20 PM
Mama.Angie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You ladies are not helping my desire to have 3! We want one more so badly, but yeah, doesn't sound all that fun! Boooo!
September 4th, 2012, 04:43 PM
First Timer!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama.Angie View Post
You ladies are not helping my desire to have 3! We want one more so badly, but yeah, doesn't sound all that fun! Boooo!
tehheheheh

well im FTM so i cant give you any advice so i guess ill

*BUMP*

your thread
September 4th, 2012, 04:58 PM
mccaroline's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama.Angie View Post
I wouldn't trade in my 3rd baby for anything, I just wasn't prepared for how much harder everything would be. I used to go out all the time when I just had the girls, now I really think twice about taking 3 kids out on my own, which means some days I feel trapped. But maybe that's just me.

September 5th, 2012, 12:24 AM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
My first 2 are 15 months apart, and it sucked. It was easier going 2-3 because then the oldest could help out more. Of course, my first didn't walk until 20 mths so I had to carry both of them if I went anywhere. Tons easier with #3

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search