OT: Calling all teachers

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By mom2more
  • 1 Post By Dee Darling 3

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 4th, 2012, 08:58 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Please tell me if I'm wrong here, but I DO NOT think this is an appropriate e-mail for a school counselor to send the staff:

Quote:
Teachers,

Please, DO NOT send students up anymore to discuss schedules. TELL YOUR STUDENTS not to come up to ask about schedules.

As I have already mentioned, I do not have the time to stop every five minutes and answer their questions.

Also, unless you absolutely need to see me about something, please do not come to my office until after school.

I have deadlines to meet just as you do and I need to focus solely on getting classes leveled.

Thanks…
He constantly sends emails like this. He's never available to students, parents, or staff. We are supposed to work closely because I do most of the counseling (under the guise of supportive guidance since I'm not a licensed counselor). He NEVER forwards important emails to me, rarely keeps me in the loop on issues with students, etc. During our Hound Connect (students and parents pick up schedules, tour school, etc), he told everyone he was unavailable when he was locked in his office. I'm the person who gives out school supplies and when my boxes came in from Kitz for Kidz, he stole them then lied and said he didn't have them!!!

As a teacher, would this piss you off? Or even as a parent who could never access him??

Last edited by mandy5586; September 4th, 2012 at 09:01 PM.
September 4th, 2012, 09:27 PM
mom2more's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That would annoy me. What exactly is his job if he isn't to be available to students or staff?
marieks85 likes this.

September 5th, 2012, 12:37 AM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
Sounds like he needs some time management skills.
September 5th, 2012, 05:05 AM
Platinum Supermommy
His "job" is School Counselor, but he mainly just does schedules and is the test coordinator. At all of the other campuses, the school counselor is also the 504 coordinator, the at-risk coordinator, and RTI. My sister (who teaches here) is the 504 and RTI Coordinators. Our at-risk list is NEVER updated. Last year, a coach was doing the list. I found NINTEEN 8th graders that weren't on the list for having failed a grade! That is one of the BIGGEST at-risk indicators of dropping out of school! It's ridiculous.

Sorry, I was really, really irritated last night when I posted this. I need to remember to not read my work email at home!

September 5th, 2012, 05:21 AM
Platinum Supermommy
WOW! That sounds horrible and like an administrator (his boss) really needs to curtail that behavior. I wish I could do that some days, but yea, I (like the rest of us) have to do all of our job and not just the parts we want to do.

I'm sorry you have to deal with someone like that.
Dixana likes this.
September 5th, 2012, 05:35 AM
Dixana's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That is ridiculous and i sincerely hope he's not the only counselor in the school. There is no reason for someone to blantantly blow off their job.
Sounds to me like he needs a reprimand....or better yet a replacement!

Thanks to the awesome Rachel for my siggy!

September 5th, 2012, 05:57 AM
Mama.Angie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm not a teacher and that pisses me off. I can't imagine how pissed of parents would be if they knew what was going on with this man. Shame on him for being a loser at his job.
September 5th, 2012, 06:16 AM
Platinum Supermommy
He really has no business being a school counselor. At the end of last year, he applied for a counselor transfer to the old high school that he used to teach and coach at. I prayed that he'd get the job, but unfortunately we're stuck with him here. Our school morale is SO low. A few of the department heads (and school diag) went down town to complain and they said they can't do anything until the Principal complains about him...which won't happen. They go way back and our principal just pretty much lets him do whatever he wants. When I got to school before 7am today, the halls were a stirrin' about his email. I guess someone said something to him (I swear it wasn't me......lol) so he sent an email saying this:

Quote:
Teachers,

I am working on completing schedule changes and leveling. If you need to see me, please wait until this afternoon if at all possible.

It's been brought to my attention that apparently I offended someone(s) with my recent email. Let me apologize if my email from last night offended anyone.

Have a good day…
I just want to punch him. Last year, we had a student who was raped. After it happened, her mom called the school and met with the counselor. He stopped me in the office and said that "for some reason" the female student wanted me in the room when she was interviewed by the police. He just couldn't believe that she wanted me in the room. Um, because she TRUSTS ME!

Okay, I'm stopping.

September 5th, 2012, 06:32 AM
Mama.Angie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That apology doesn't sound at all professional. What a loser. Serious. What a shame he leans on his background with the principle to keep his sorry career together.
September 5th, 2012, 07:05 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Sounds like he sent the email because he was told too - such a 3 year old thing to do. At least I know my school isn't the only school with political buddy hires. Sorry.
September 5th, 2012, 07:39 AM
Happy Mommy
wow he sounds like a piece of work

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search