I'm struggling

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 6th, 2012, 11:07 AM
tobi4's Avatar Tobi
I am having such a difficult time. I don't know if anyone remembers but Colton has an enlarged kidney which was expected to resolve itself by a year. Well we had the follow up and it hasn't resolved. It's worse, much worse. He has to have follow up testing at sick kids hospital. I'm a bag of anxiety about it. The Drs comforting words were that I shouldn't worry, it's going to be ok, lots of people function just fine with only one kidney. Don't worry? Are you shlttlng me? Seriously. I'm freaking out about the tests. About the unnecessary extra procedures. One hospital uses a catheter one doesn't. On my opinion it's probably not necessary for the testing if one hospital doesnt even do it. The Dr said thankfully he won't remember the pain. Is she joking? I'm not cOncerned he will remember it. I'm horrified he will experience it at all. And what if someone tries to retract his foreskin to do it? Is that the pain she's talking about. Cause that's unnecessary as well. Now that I've had time to research it all I'm mad. Fine. Do the necessary tests. But I'll be fighting unnecessary Procedures when he will already be suffering through the necessary tests. I'm overwhelmed. Why should I have to fight at all?? It's a children's hospital for goodness sales. Why aren't they concerned with keeping the child as pain free as possible. They must realize the long term effects of pain on a baby.

[/url
September 6th, 2012, 11:49 AM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
((hugs)) I'm sorry Tobi. That does sound overwhelming. Is there no way to do the tests while he's sedated?
September 6th, 2012, 12:00 PM
irishblessing's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
*hugs* I'm so sorry Tobi It's rough to watch your kids have to deal with things like that.

When Dominic had his UTI he had nurses try to put a catheter in a few times. They were very respectful of his foreskin, thankfully, but you better believe I was standing there watching their every move to make sure they were. Just remember, he is YOUR son, and you have every right to be informed with all the procedures. Make them explain to you how the procedure will help with diagnostics, and how the results of it will change the treatment. You can refuse anything you think is unnecessary. I took Dominic in to the hospital to have a dye injected into him (through a catheter and then he was supposed to have several x-rays done) and ended up not even going through with it on the nurses and DR's opinion at the hospital, while his pedi was ALL for this test being done. I hope you can figure out what's going on without putting him through too much

Thank you Vicki for my new siggy!
September 6th, 2012, 12:13 PM
tricia_16_'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to tricia_16_
I'm so sorry I would be worrying too - it's impossible not to. You have every right to fight over everything you don't want to have done to him. You are his voice!

Good luck and KUP!

September 6th, 2012, 12:16 PM
Happy Mommy
oh my gosh Tobi

that's alot to deal with. can you get another opinion?
September 6th, 2012, 12:32 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Tobi. I would get a second opinion first. The cath is no fun and yes it breaks your heart to hear your lo cry. I'm sorry about this and hope Colton doesn't have to go through all of the tests.
September 6th, 2012, 12:52 PM
Mama.Angie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh Tobi that's just sucky. I'm so sorry that it hasn't gotten better.

My cousin practically grew up in Sick Kids, and I'm a firm believer that while they do have their moments, overall it is a wonderful, wonderful place. Stick to your guns, and don't let them push anything you don't feel necessary. Big hugs to you and sweet Colton!
September 6th, 2012, 01:44 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hugs...

I would be a big worrying mess, too. I'd be concerned about you if you weren't! The other ladies said everything very well. I could feel the saddness that you feel just by reading your post.

I hope everything goes really well and Colton is in as little pain as possible. :/

September 6th, 2012, 02:17 PM
mom2more's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am so sorry!! Good for you for researching and being an advocate for your child though!

September 6th, 2012, 05:53 PM
joonzgurl's Avatar Proud mama of 2 girls
Oh Tobi I am so very sorry. I agree with what everyone else has said. Big hugs coming your way mama. Please keep us posted.

Proud mama to:

Avery Elizabeth (08/27/2011) & Dawsyn Brielle (10/29/2013)
September 6th, 2012, 09:18 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm so sorry you guys are going through this-having sick kids sucks

Lucky mother to five!

September 7th, 2012, 06:13 AM
babi_lovin11's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to babi_lovin11
Im so sorry you and baby Colton have to go threw this, I would maybe get a 2nd opinion on what test he should get. I hope everything turns out okay *Hugs!!*
September 7th, 2012, 08:30 PM
avasmom603's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hey Tobi- if you want to talk feel free to message me. Ava has had every test there is at least twice. She gets catheters each time there is a suspected uti or kidney infection - and that's a lot. She probably gets 10 a year easy. She has also had to wear a urine bag with catheter in place for 48 hours twice. As an experienced sick kid mom I can give you advise from the other side, unfortunately.

I wish we lived closer together because I'd love to go with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

10/1/10

September 8th, 2012, 08:17 AM
Platinum Supermommy
my heart breaks just reading this. I am so sorry. I remember bringing Ayla into our children's hospital here at 2mths, and they did SO many tests. I remember them trying to take blood and put an IV line in her, and they held her down for 45min. I couldn't get far enough away from the ER becuase I could still hear her.

I hope everything goes well. Why don't they sedate him?
September 8th, 2012, 10:02 AM
Platinum Supermommy
i'm so sorry you're having to deal with this. I'd be a nervous wreak.

Sending t&p that everything turns out ok! KUP!

Thanks to Bokkechick for my siggy.

September 8th, 2012, 06:40 PM
mccaroline's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm so sorry. I understand where you're coming from. We had to do a lot of those tests with DD1, the caths, the dies, the xrays, flow tests, you name it. I felt terrible putting her through all of it. Trust your gut and know when to say enough is enough but make sure you get answers and question why they are doing each test and what info it will provide to them making it neccessary.

September 9th, 2012, 02:29 AM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
That totally sucks. I would be mad they don't just do everything together.

Have you talked to Julie (dreamer10)? Her last baby had kidney issues, he's about 4 now. I'm sure she knows a lot about what you're going through.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
September 9th, 2012, 02:32 AM
First Timer!!!
heartbreaking!! i just hope for the best and t's and p's sent your way!!

((hugs))

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search