Just awesome :)

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Dixana

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 18th, 2012, 04:15 PM
Dixana's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I got the best boost yesterday morning with AJ's head start at home teacher, she made me feel pretty awesome as a person and a mom (a lift I REALLY needed after the weekend)
Heat start is a preschool program for kids from low income families and kids with documented disabilities (like AJ's speech delay). They have an in-class program that's 3 hours 4 days a week or an at home program where a teacher comes to the house 1 1/2 hours a week and then we attend educational "socialization events" every other friday. We opted for the at home program because he would have had to go to a different school to do the in class program and, believe it or not, the school in that town is actually worse than the one he goes to now.

ANYWAY, his teacher happens to be the leader for the mommy class I took last fall. (It was called the nurturing program and was a 9 week parenting class that was really cool).
I LOVE her. She's awesome with AJ, has been a teacher for 30 years so she has tons of experience, and has done all kinds of programs so she's like a human resource vault.

All during the hour and a half she was here she gave me compliments and confidence boosts.

I apologized for the messy house. She laughed and said if only all the houses she went to were so clean.
She praised me on AJ's progress and said she could tell I've been working with him over the summer and has made huge improvements.
She told me how awesome I am reading to the kids (I don't just read, I use voices, engage them with questions, point out things in the pictures, etc).
She was amazed at the resources I have for the kids (books, workbooks, games, flashcards, etc etc) and asked for copies of things.
She couldn't believe I had AJ doing matching, opposites, and classification (all games I printed out).
THEN, as if that really wasn't enough for me for one day, she proceeded to ask me to help out at our social events, ask for ideas for trips, invite me to another parenting class....
She told me she wants to keep me on our Monday mornings permanently because being with me and the kids, watching how I parent and interact with them, gives HER a boost for the rest of the week.
I'm seriously teary eyed right now remembering everything because after Dale being such a jerk all weekend, hearing that stuff from a TEACHER who's worked with kids, parents, and families for 30 years, made me feel amazing.
On top of that (yes, can you believe there's more?) she asked if I would be interested in working with the Head Start program. If I volunteer (they pay for child care!) or WORK (for money!) in the head start program they will pay for me get to certified in Early Childhood education. She said if I do that she'd like to have me as her co facilitator for the parenting classes and stuff.
She also asked me to head the parents group for head start at home parents and be the rep for our area.

I can't begin to explain how it feels to hear that as a parent, as a person. Especially when my SO makes it seem like I'm a lazy, useless cow sometimes.
I'm so excited!
Just_Marie and tricia_16_ like this.

Thanks to the awesome Rachel for my siggy!

September 18th, 2012, 05:35 PM
~Rae~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yay! I'm glad you got confirmation that you are on the right track. As a parent, it is so hard to know which way to go, and it really helps when someone cheers you on. Keep it mama!

September 18th, 2012, 06:16 PM
mom2more's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That is great!! I am so happy for you

September 18th, 2012, 07:10 PM
Veteran
Congrats! You deserve it!!
September 19th, 2012, 01:48 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Way to go mama! That's awesome!

Thanks to Bokkechick for my siggy.

September 19th, 2012, 05:00 AM
babi_lovin11's Avatar Platinum Supermommy