Bed time questions

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ~Rae~

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 19th, 2012, 08:25 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Do you guys still rock your little ones to sleep? Do they still get a bottle at bed time? Or do they just go down?

I'm wondering what to do next. Will still gets a bottle and rocked to sleep every night. But with a new baby coming in the spring I want to transition him to just going to bed with less of a routine. Any opinions? At what age do they usually stop getting bottles/rocked to sleep, normally?

William Jeffery, born 8/1/11
Evan John, born 2/24/13

Visit my blogs.
http://www.anilandcontinuied.blogspot.com/
http://reverendanissa.blogspot.com/
September 19th, 2012, 08:29 AM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
Keelan still nurses to sleep, for me. Sarah and my friend can get him to sleep, but if I'm around he wants to nurse.

I have no desire to change it just yet.
September 19th, 2012, 08:30 AM
Platinum Supermommy
that's where I'm at too.
September 19th, 2012, 08:37 AM
tricia_16_'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to tricia_16_
We did rock Kaylee to sleep, but stopped as soon as I knew I was pregnant. What I did is that I always rocked her and sang to her. So I switched from rocking to just patting her bum, then putting her in her crib while she was sleeping. (If she woke when I put her down I would pat and sing some more.) Then once that was working, I would just sing to her with her in my arms, then put her in her crib. THEN once that was working, I would just bring her to her crib, lay her down and pat her bum and sing until she fell asleep.

At the beginning I would somtimes have to hold her head down because she would try to get up, but since she was already falling alseep before I KNEW she was tired, so I was okay with it.

After a couple weeks of putting her in her crib, patting her bum and singing to her, we just left her in her crib and walked out. Sometimes she would cry, but most of the time she would just fall asleep.

It's a tedious transition, but it DID work. Went from rocking to sleep to falling asleep on her own in about a month!

Good luck!!!
September 19th, 2012, 08:48 AM
Mama.Angie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We co sleep, so I lay down, she has a boob, rolls over and falls asleep. At that point I move away, prop myself up and DH and I watch a movie or something.
September 19th, 2012, 09:04 AM
~Rae~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
No bottle or rocking before bed. He's dressed, kissed, & put down.
I have always avoided feeding right before bed because 1. It's hard to break them out of depending on that. 2. They would pee out of their diaper.

He's off bottles now, but even when my kids were on bottles I'd give the last bottle 1-2 hours before I put them down so they can empty their bladders before I change them for the night.
babi_lovin11 likes this.

September 19th, 2012, 09:12 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Everett still nurses to sleep. Sometimes he will nurse but still be awake get his bink and roll over to go to sleep.

September 19th, 2012, 10:06 AM
babi_lovin11's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to babi_lovin11
I love our routine, we give c man a sippy around 7pm, then we get dressed for bed, play, read books and around 8pm he goes down for the night all we have to do is kiss him goodnight, give him his paci and his blankie then walk out of the room.

I purposely started this routine when he was so small, whenever he started to get tired I would lay him down half awake and I would stay in the room in case he cried but I think it taught him how to self sooth at a very young age MINUS the CIO (since I don't do that) He never once CIO while falling asleep and has always been an awesome sleeper!

Anyways I done this for my last two kids and it worked so well, with my first DD I held her until she would fall asleep, give her a bottle to go to bed and she to this day is still an awful sleeper lol
September 19th, 2012, 10:15 AM
Platinum Supermommy
No bottle. We eat dinner together. Then I give her a bath and get her in pjs. If she is tired and winding down then I turn on her soft cd, kiss her, and put her in bed. 9 times out of 10, she goes to sleep. The other 1 time, I rock her for maybe 3 minutes and then I put her in bed. If she is still wired, not so tired, then she plays in the living room and it usually doesn't take long before it's time for her to go to bed.

September 19th, 2012, 11:01 AM
sweetgirl51305's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
She does not get rocked anymore. She gets her pjs on, brush her teeth, then we say goodnight to all her animals. We give her a kiss and she drinks her cup in her crib. She throws it, gets comfy, and goes to sleep. She actually broke herself of being rocked. She started refusing it.

~*Visit my ETSY shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/SillyWillyLilli*~
September 19th, 2012, 12:43 PM
HeatherLopez's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
no more bottle here. We eat dinner around 5 pm and then Ari goes to bed between 7:30-8:00. No rocking, just PJ's, teeth brushed, and in the crib she goes.
September 19th, 2012, 01:21 PM
Veteran
Still nursin and sometimes rockin here. Sometimes she squirms after nursing for 2 min and wants to fall asleep on her own in the crib. Other times it takes nursing forever, rocking and a few attempts at getting her down (or anything in between these extremes).

This child since DAY ONE has been predictably un - freakin - predictable.
September 19th, 2012, 03:50 PM
irishblessing's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Our routine is pretty simple. I take him to get his night diaper on and get dressed. Then wrap him in his blanket and either hold him for a couple minutes while he nurses (if he wants to, but a lot of times he doesn't anymore) or just skip that step and lay him straight into his bed.

Thank you Vicki for my new siggy!
September 19th, 2012, 04:14 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Around 7 we make a sippie cup of milk and we go in her room. We turn the lights off and i use the bathroom light across the hall to give me enough light to change her diaper. Then she lays on the floor and drinks her sippie. I sit next to her and rub her belly or her feet (she likes for me to rub her feet, it has calmed her down since she was teeny tiny). She doesn't want to be held at all, just likes to have me there near her. When she's done I pick her up, rub her back for a minute and then lay her down in the crib with a paci in her mouth and hand her an extra. Then I tell her goodnight and i love you and leave. She usually whines for a couple minutes and then falls asleep.

Thanks to Bokkechick for my siggy.

September 19th, 2012, 05:17 PM
Amanda21's Avatar Super Mommy
We have had the same routine for months....she gets a bottle right before bed....we carry her up to her crib at 6:30pm (since this little princess wants her beauty sleep) lay her down, she grabs her blanket and puts it on the left side of her head, kicks her legs a few times, and I tell her goodnight and shut the door. We never hear a peep out of her until about 7am the next day....when I go in to get her up, the blanket is still on the left side of her head and she is all smiley and ready to get up.

Kelsey never needed to be rocked to fall asleep, so we never started it for fear of not knowing how to break the habit. Her nap routine is the same as her bedtime routine. Of course, I am sure it helps that once she is laying down, she can't sit up or roll around, so the only thing she can do is fall asleep.

September 19th, 2012, 05:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We nurse in the living room in the bright lights. Then he gets changed, dressed, songs, and put down in the crib awake. He usually rolls right over and falls asleep.

Lew, 1, DSD Lauren, 18, and Chuck, 4
September 19th, 2012, 07:03 PM
tobi4's Avatar Tobi
wow, from the sounds of things we are one of the minority here, I think because hes my very last one and Id love him to stay a baby for as long as I can lol
After his bath, he nurses for about an hour, and then is super drowsy when I slide him over into his crib (attached to my bed) or simply leave him in my bed, to cuddle and sleep with for the night. Hes still night waking, but we have finally gotten a handle on his allergies, I think so that should end soon, but since hes lacking milk products Im happy hes spending an hour at night, nursing. It helps me to know he is getting what he needs.

[/url
September 19th, 2012, 10:05 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't like associating bottles with bedtime, but thats just my thing and I've had a few tries at this Joey gets his last bottle before supper, plays for 90 mins or so, take him upstairs and darken his room, turn on fan and white noise, jammies on, music box crib thing on, kiss, blanket and goodnight. Sometimes he'll wake at 11pm for a burp or fart but I do not go in there unless he's screaming like he's stuck. He'll self soothe and be back to sleep within a few minutes, or he'll play with his toys until he tires again.
With my first ds, I rocked him to sleep for 8 months straight, it was kind of hard to break him and me of that so I did that for less time for each consecutive newborn.
Whatever you choose to do is perfect for you and baby
September 21st, 2012, 11:45 AM
kiszi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Kayli gets a bottle at bedtime but doesn't take it to bed. She will have already have had her bath if it's bath night, diaper and sleep clothes on. She'll play for a couple of minutes after she finishes the bottle, then we do the rounds saying night night to brother and daddy, then I'll take her to bed while patting her back and telling her "it's night night time." Then I put her down with her blankie and she's good to go.

September 21st, 2012, 11:58 AM
mccaroline's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
OK, so I still baby my DS. I know I do and I know I need to stop sooner rather than later but I like our bedtime routine so far.

I still give him a warm bottle right before bed that he drinks while being cuddled. I let him fall asleep in my arms, then onces he's happily in dreamland I take him upstairs to his crib.

I never let this carry on so long with my girls btw, they were completely off bottles and falling to sleep on their own in the crib by 12 months.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search