Early Childhood Intervention

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Dee Darling 3
  • 2 Post By w292737

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 26th, 2012, 07:42 AM
~Rae~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We had our visit from ECI last week, and I just wanted to pass along the pamphlet they gave me! I know some of us are questioning whether our babies are progressing normally.
http://www.dars.state.tx.us/ecis/pub...wsYourBaby.pdf

Xavier is going for an evaluation in two weeks. The case manager says that from preliminary data, he looks to be progressing normally. She said he will probably not qualify for services, but they will test him anyway.
My sister says I'm going overboard, but I just want to be 100% sure since he was so preemie. So many childhood issues can be corrected in early childhood, and I don't want to wait and have an issue pop up down the line.
Anyway, hope the checklist helps ease someone's fears!

September 26th, 2012, 07:45 AM
Mama.Angie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
No words here. Not even one.

She communicated, and I know what she means by pointing and the sounds she is making, but they sure aren't words.

Our Dr. isn't concerned...
September 26th, 2012, 08:06 AM
Angie, our pedi says as long as they use the sound consistently for a specific person or object, and it is NOT in response to you saying the word first (repeating), it counts as a word! For example, X says "fuhhh" for fan. That counts as a word. He points at it, smiles, and says it on his own. Sometimes he's telling me to turn it on, and sometimes he just wants to say it.
But if you're worried, it wouldn't hurt to get an evaluation. It's free here, so I bet it's free there too. I trust my pedi, I wouldn't go to her if I didn't, but it helps set my mind at ease when a person specifically trained in that area will actually test him. I don't like the waiting thing. Kara can probably chime in about waiting and the wait and see approach.

September 26th, 2012, 08:41 AM
Happy Mommy
great checklist to share.
September 26th, 2012, 08:42 AM
tricia_16_'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to tricia_16_
Kaylee doesn't use any words to MEAN anything. She will say dada a lot, but I have never seen her use it to MEAN Kyle.
September 26th, 2012, 08:51 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Rae~ View Post
Angie, our pedi says as long as they use the sound consistently for a specific person or object, and it is NOT in response to you saying the word first (repeating), it counts as a word! For example, X says "fuhhh" for fan. That counts as a word. He points at it, smiles, and says it on his own. Sometimes he's telling me to turn it on, and sometimes he just wants to say it.
But if you're worried, it wouldn't hurt to get an evaluation. It's free here, so I bet it's free there too. I trust my pedi, I wouldn't go to her if I didn't, but it helps set my mind at ease when a person specifically trained in that area will actually test him. I don't like the waiting thing. Kara can probably chime in about waiting and the wait and see approach.
Wow, I never knew that! Thank you for sharing the list. little rose is behind my other kids in most everything, and I'm not worried (most of the time), but I still do, especially because of how tiny she was. She's on target with everything for 12-15 months!
tricia_16_ likes this.
September 26th, 2012, 09:07 AM
Yeah X does everything except walk unassisted. He's Doing everything in the 15-18, 18-21, & some of the 21-24, but he just won't walk unassisted!! The case manager says they don't get concerned until after 19 months, & he probably won't qualify for services since he walks holding something & even runs with his push toy & pushes it with one hand. She thinks it's a confidence thing since he had a bad fall & hit the apple of his cheek on the coffee table.

So yeah, I'm having him evaluated for that, plus he breaks things all the time, sometimes out of anger. I don't know how much of that is normal, so I need someone to tell me.

September 26th, 2012, 09:09 AM
Happy Mommy
ya know. my opinion, better to have AEA evaluate and decide kiddo is okay, then not
~Rae~ and Dixana like this.
September 26th, 2012, 08:52 PM
Dixana's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama.Angie View Post
No words here. Not even one.

She communicated, and I know what she means by pointing and the sounds she is making, but they sure aren't words.

Our Dr. isn't concerned...
I agree with Rae, I dont like waiting. Our ped was never worried about AJs speech either, he blew off my concerns repeatedly.
I wish like crazy I could go back and contact birth to 3 right around 12 months. EI is almost always free and if nothing is wrong then you will know for sure, but if she does qualify for services you will be starting them really early and be ahead of the game!

Thanks to the awesome Rachel for my siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search