Getting babies to sleep in unfamiliar environment?

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 30th, 2012, 10:41 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I really need some help here. Lily just won't sleep well at all in unfamiliar places. We stayed over night with my folks over the weekend and those are always long nights. She doesn't get enough sleep and neither do I. Needless to say, we are both exhausted when we go and stay over. Most things I try just don't seem to work. She is used to falling asleep being rocked or in a swing. My folks have a rocking chair but its very old and rickety and squeaks loudly. I rock her in the car seat until she is asleep but she immediately wakes up as soon as I try to pick her up and carry her to her pnp. I try a half dozen times and she still wakes up. I finally tried playing a loop of a vacuum recording next to her pnp and that worked, but she still didn't get enough sleep. That and DH's snoring wakes her up and me too.

I just want her to go to sleep and stay asleep when we stay over somewhere. She is like this anywhere that's not either home or her other grandma's house who lives here in town. I really want to try to find ways to make sleeping over at my parents house less of a hassle. Everything else is fine. She plays there just like its home. She even reaches for my parents and my sister and brother (provided I'm in seeing range at all times lol). When it comes to sleeping at night there, forget about it.

Help please? I didn't mean for this t be so long and ranty. You ladies always give good advice. My folks feel bad because we just don't go over there as much anymore because she won't sleep enough over there.

In loving memory of our angel baby, with us for 4 weeks. Baby went to be with God July 24th, 2009.

October 1st, 2012, 01:05 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to rancherandcitygal
Do you use any sort of sound machine at home? If so bring it. Also all the favorite things that she sleeps with in her crib, blanket, stuffy, etc. One thing you mentioned that you might want to work on for at home and also out is the rocking to sleep. This is a good age to let them start soothing themselves to sleep and believe me I don't want to start any sort of debate and I will be the first to tell you that I am struggling not to nurse Myah every time she cries.

I personally for Myah let her hang out and fuss if she is not crying "hard" and is just kinda making noise and letting everyone know "hey I don't wanna sleep". I would try putting her to bed before the rest of you, letting her sothe herself (within your reason) and then come to bed after. You mention the snoring... is there enough space for her to have her own room? Also I would work on the self sothing at home first before a new place.

I hope my rambling helped you come up with some ideas......

October 1st, 2012, 09:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by rancherandcitygal View Post
Do you use any sort of sound machine at home? If so bring it. Also all the favorite things that she sleeps with in her crib, blanket, stuffy, etc. One thing you mentioned that you might want to work on for at home and also out is the rocking to sleep. This is a good age to let them start soothing themselves to sleep and believe me I don't want to start any sort of debate and I will be the first to tell you that I am struggling not to nurse Myah every time she cries.

I personally for Myah let her hang out and fuss if she is not crying "hard" and is just kinda making noise and letting everyone know "hey I don't wanna sleep". I would try putting her to bed before the rest of you, letting her sothe herself (within your reason) and then come to bed after. You mention the snoring... is there enough space for her to have her own room? Also I would work on the self sothing at home first before a new place.

I hope my rambling helped you come up with some ideas......
Thanks so much for the suggestions. What seems to happen when I do let Lily just sit there and fuss is she works up to a full blown meltdown, home or not. The shush-pat thing doesn't work at all for Lily either. If anything, it just makes her cry harder because I'm right there but not picking her up. It seems to me like I've tried lots of different things with her and nothing I do at my folk's house works.

The swing is a big part of her bedtime routine. I feed her a solids meal, nurse, change her diaper and put her in her jammies, and put her in her swing or rock her when she is ready to sleep. At my parent's house, I've tried letting her exhaust herself by playing, getting her to sleep by rocking her myself (they don't have a good rocking chair), she goes to sleep readily. It's staying asleep for longer than a few minutes that's the hard part. She goes to,sleep, but startles herself awake and just starts screaming like she is terrified.

My grandmother's house is a small house on my parent's property and she has a spare room, but DH seems to get uncomfortable when I bring up myself and Lily sleeping over there. I think it would be far easier for all involved. I'm just annoyed with not being able to spend enough time with my folks because Lily won't sleep.

In loving memory of our angel baby, with us for 4 weeks. Baby went to be with God July 24th, 2009.

October 3rd, 2012, 08:13 AM
binz1031's Avatar Lindsay
Instead of rocking, have you tried just standing and swaying back n forth w/ her in your arms?

October 3rd, 2012, 10:09 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by binz1031 View Post
Instead of rocking, have you tried just standing and swaying back n forth w/ her in your arms?
I have. That relaxes her, but only while I'm holding her. As soon as I try to lay her down, she gets scared again and cries. Even though I didn't try this until almost half way through the night we stayed with my folks, I think I will see how she does running the vacuum loop all night, starting at bedtime and going until she wakes up in the morning. I used to do that all the time for her, but she got to sleeping well without it so I fell out of the habit. I just hope my husband is willing to try sleeping over at least one more time lol. Those nights of sleeplessness are hard on him, too.

October 3rd, 2012, 01:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We aren't typically overnight anywhere else but when we are (or are going to be out late at my parents house or something) we bring her sound machine with. That thing will put her to sleep anywhere! She usually fusses a little more then usual, or she'll need some rocking first but then she'll go to sleep.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search