BF/FF plans after 1 year

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree8Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 1st, 2012, 10:38 AM
Julka
Whether you're BF or FF right now, what are your plans after they turn 1? Will you continue doing what you're doing right now, switching to other milk (i.e. cow, goat, almond - whatever!), stage 2 formula, etc. What do you plan on doing?
October 1st, 2012, 02:08 PM
Snookums's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Switching to whole milk. I'll likely start phasing it into his formula at 11 months and have him fully on milk by a year.
Julka likes this.

October 1st, 2012, 02:19 PM
Julka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snookums View Post
Switching to whole milk. I'll likely start phasing it into his formula at 11 months and have him fully on milk by a year.
That's exactly my plan too, same as I did with my girls. Basically when they turn 11 months, for one week I do 3/4 formula and 1/4 whole milk, then 50/50, then 1/4 formula and 3/4 whole milk, and that way by the time he's 12 months, he's switched. Worked great before!
Snookums likes this.
October 1st, 2012, 02:33 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Switching to whole milk at about 1.

October 1st, 2012, 05:23 PM
Lorena26's Avatar ♥ Gio's Mommy ♥
I plan to start integrating regular milk but i dunno, i'm sure i'll still BF for a bit but i'm not sure for how long, i think i'll just play it by year

October 1st, 2012, 05:27 PM
Super Mommy
Planning to switch to whole milk at a year. Don't know how the transition will go, but will start with daytime feedings and still breastfeed in the morning and at night until we fully switch. Anyone have info on "other" milks - goat, soy, almond, etc and nutritional value in toddlerS?
October 1st, 2012, 05:36 PM
sugarloafbaby's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm planning to introduce whole, raw milk at 12 months to give with meals, but I will still be breastfeeding until at least 18 months if all goes well. I introduced milk at 11 months with my oldest but she was only nursing at nap time and bedtime at 12 months due to decreased supply from pregnancy.

Thank you .:Shortcake:. for my siggy!

October 1st, 2012, 10:30 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to rancherandcitygal
Switching to whole milk at 1. Didn't do a transition period with my first and don't plan to with this one.

October 1st, 2012, 11:32 PM
LookingGlassAlice's Avatar Pagan FTM
gonna keep BFing as long as she wants to
D@mnedYankee and jmills1129 like this.
More fundamental than religion is our basic human spirituality. We have a basic human disposition towards love, kindness and affection, irrespective of whether we have a religious framework or not. When we nurture this most basic human resource – when we set about cultivating those basic inner values which we all appreciate in others, then we start to live spiritually. - Dalai Lama

[/url]
October 2nd, 2012, 12:20 AM
*~*N*i*c*o*l*e*~*'s Avatar Mommy Since 2006
Im the odd one out haha I do formula until 18 months. my kids tend to go days where they just didnt want to eat regular food. Whitney eats table food with us, and there are times I know she is not getting enough food because shes decided shes too tired to eat or distracted. So i use formula until she is 18 months and then I plan to get rid of it. she has had milk already and i will give her some, but i dont plan on phasing out the formula for a bit longer.

******Thank you Julka for my beautiful siggy******

October 2nd, 2012, 02:45 AM
sareymac's Avatar Mommy to Gary & Adalyn
My plan was to start introducing some milk around 11 months. The doctor actually asked me about that at his 9 month appointment (not to do it then, to do it at 11 months) and i said ohhh crap I forgot that I have no kids so I have no clue what I am doing! So she gave me a lot of suggestions so at his 12 month well baby he will be on milk. We will just see how it goes...It will be awesome to not have to buy formula, even tho in all honesty my mother in law almost always buys it anyway haha.

October 2nd, 2012, 02:45 PM
jmills1129's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I plan to BF until she is at least 2, but if i end up pregnant before that we may wean earlier, i do not plan on using cows milk at all, and will either use almond milk or coconut milk. But I will not be introducing that until she slows down on nursing, and right now we still do 3 night feedings, and she nurses about 7-8 times a day still :-) (yes she does solids too, but i always nurse first, since i am supplementing my milk with food.)

9w4d, June, 16 2013
Missing My Angel baby
October 2nd, 2012, 07:28 PM
caitlinmcc's Avatar 1st time mommy
Still BF and no signs of stopping. She has had almond milk in my oatmeal and had no reactions so we will offer almond milk when she wants milk in a cup. (I do not want to pump anymore!)

check out my blog fourthstpayphone.blogspot.com and
pintsizestyle.com/
October 2nd, 2012, 08:29 PM
ratladee's Avatar Madison Marie, My Sweet P
I really have no clue. I know we will switch her to regular milk at 12 months. I really see no point in continuing formula. I would continue to breast feed if I was even still somewhat successful at it. Dang you pregnancy! I am worried about how she will learn to sleep without being given a bottle or nursed :-/

October 3rd, 2012, 04:01 AM
Julka
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratladee View Post
I am worried about how she will learn to sleep without being given a bottle or nursed :-/
Why can you not give her milk in a bottle? You don't have to wean her off the bottle just because she's weaned off formula..
Snookums likes this.
October 3rd, 2012, 07:07 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Jon has been breastfed...and I don't plan to stop cold-turkey. I do, however, want to stop pumping ASAP! Since J. has a milk allergy his pedi. wants to wait until his 12 month check up and then *try* milk and see how he does. If he still can't tolerate it, then he recommended rice milk. I didn't think rice milk really had much nutritional value though so I'm going to ask about coconut or almond but was wondering if the "nut" allergy thing would be an issue? So I will continue to nurse but I know my supply will dip since I work 3 days a week and I'm not going to pump. I plan to slowly transition so that we're just nursing in the morning and before bed. I did that with dd#2 until I got pregnant when she was 16 months. I hope to fully wean Jon by 18 months. But, nothing is set in stone so we'll see. I'm pretty flexible.

Also, for all you bf'ing mama's, I'm curious to see how your LO's transition to milk. My daughter would not and still will not drink milk. The only way she will drink it is with a little chocolate in it (horrible, I know ). But she does get calcium from yogurt, cheese, etc. I guess she just doesn't like the taste.
October 3rd, 2012, 07:36 AM
Julka
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmarti07 View Post

Also, for all you bf'ing mama's, I'm curious to see how your LO's transition to milk. My daughter would not and still will not drink milk. The only way she will drink it is with a little chocolate in it (horrible, I know ). But she does get calcium from yogurt, cheese, etc. I guess she just doesn't like the taste.
I am not BF, but I had that issue with my second daughter. She did drink whole milk from a bottle, but once we got rid of the bottles (she was a bit older), she refused to drink regular milk. I am still to this day adding a bit of chocolate syrup to her milk or she won't drink it, but likewise she eats yogurts, cheese, and gets regular milk in her cereal. I think some kids just don't like the taste, unfortunately.
*~* likes this.
October 3rd, 2012, 04:04 PM
~Momma*2011~'s Avatar I love my little girl!!
Caylyn is on breast milk (pumped). I have enough pumped and frozen for her to have 30 oz a day for the next 5 months. Since she won't be drinking 30 oz the whole time we figured we will probably be able to provide her with breast milk until she is 18 months old. We haven't really talked about what we will transistion her too.

October 6th, 2012, 03:59 PM
ratladee's Avatar Madison Marie, My Sweet P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julka View Post
Why can you not give her milk in a bottle? You don't have to wean her off the bottle just because she's weaned off formula..
Oh I don't know. When can babies just go to sleep when laid in their crib? Do you guys give a bottle and rock to sleep? Or do you give them the bottle and put them in the crib and then they fall asleep like that? I rock her while I give her her night bottle and then nurse her to sleep. I think it's pretty much just comfort nursing at this point, but. I know my mom used to just put my brother in his crib with a bottle. And now he's going to be 3 come january and he's still using a bottle and sleeping in his crib. I Don't know. When do babies not use bottles anymore? Can you tell I'm confused. I'd like for her to be able to go to sleep on her own without having a bottle, being rocked or nursed. But only when she's old enough ya know?

October 6th, 2012, 05:05 PM
Julka
Putting a baby to sleep with a bottle is not good - the milk will cause tooth decay. It's a huge no for me, personally. I think it's up to *you* to make the rules, not your baby. If you start bad habits early on (i.e. using pacifier too long, going to sleep with a bottle, etc.) it gets harder & harder to break those habits the older the child gets. It's way easier to enforce the rules when they're little. Just my opinion, though.

Sebastian already does not go to sleep with a bottle. He does get an evening bottle, but still hangs out for 10-15 minutes afterwards before going to bed for the night. I teach my kids to fall asleep on their own early on, and that means placing them in their crib awake, but tired. Sebastian has a musical mobile that plays classical music, and he has a stuffie to sleep with. Those are his 'comfort' items, not a bottle. I feel that this way he'll learn to sooth himself to sleep on his own and wouldn't depend on me.

But I am not into the whole attachment-parenting deal So.. to each their own! I rock my baby and snuggle during the day and before bedtime, but they learn to fall asleep on their own.
bmarti07 and mBABYe like this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search