Kara!

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 1st, 2012, 05:22 PM
~Rae~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
And any other cooks. Why do my meatballs always fall apart??
I'm smothering meatballs, & as usual, they are crumbling. I used heavy cream & bread crumbs. They were nicely formed & sturdy until I started cooking them.

My meatloaf crumbles too. I use oatmeal as a binder for that. Any ideas or suggestions?

October 1st, 2012, 05:34 PM
babi_lovin11's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to babi_lovin11
I'm interested in this as well! My meatloaf falls apart all the time >_<
October 1st, 2012, 05:36 PM
mccaroline's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm not great at making meatballs, but I found that if I add an egg to my mix they stick together better when cooking. Also don't turn them too soon, make sure they are almost all they way cooked before turning them.

That's all the suggestions I have, good luck!

October 1st, 2012, 06:40 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccaroline View Post
I'm not great at making meatballs, but I found that if I add an egg to my mix they stick together better when cooking. Also don't turn them too soon, make sure they are almost all they way cooked before turning them.

That's all the suggestions I have, good luck!
This is what I was gonna say.

Meatloaf I add an egg or two as well.

Thanks to Bokkechick for my siggy.

October 1st, 2012, 06:41 PM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
I avoid cooking if I can, lol, but my mom always added egg to her meatloaf and meatballs as well.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
October 1st, 2012, 06:53 PM
Dixana's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Rae! LOL!
Im mobile and my kids are insane but I promise I'll share a recipe and some tips later.....or tomorrow......

Thanks to the awesome Rachel for my siggy!

October 1st, 2012, 07:01 PM
~*Nicole*~'s Avatar Nicole
Eggs are the key to meatballs that don't fall apart! They are good for binding lots of meats, like fried chicken, chicken cordon bleu, etc.

siggy made by Meredithh90!!!

October 1st, 2012, 07:20 PM
An egg!!
I'm a moron.
We don't eat beef that much so I just never quite figured out what the heck I was doing wrong.
Everything tastes great, it just doesn't look too pretty. Thanks y'all!

October 1st, 2012, 07:52 PM
babi_lovin11's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to babi_lovin11
I always add an egg to my meat loaf and it still falls apart like loose meat on the plate.

We top our meatloaf with mozzarella cheese and serve with a little gravey nommm nommm it's the best comfort food.
October 1st, 2012, 08:12 PM
Don't tell me that. I was sooo optimistic!

October 1st, 2012, 09:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by babi_lovin11 View Post
I always add an egg to my meat loaf and it still falls apart like loose meat on the plate.

We top our meatloaf with mozzarella cheese and serve with a little gravey nommm nommm it's the best comfort food.
For a lb of meat, I usually put 2 eggs and some bread crumbs (i never measure. 1/2 cup to 1 cup maybe)in mine and it never falls apart.

Thanks to Bokkechick for my siggy.

October 1st, 2012, 09:43 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Yes egg.

Skinnytaste is my go to for pretty much everything. She has several meatball recipes.

Skinny Italian Spinach Meatballs | Skinnytaste
Skinny Italian Turkey Meatballs | Skinnytaste
Swedish Meatballs | Skinnytaste
Mama.Angie likes this.

October 2nd, 2012, 07:14 AM
MommytoaMiracle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I do egg & bread crumbs & they stick nicely (Meatloaf & meatballs)
October 2nd, 2012, 07:53 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I have a unique meatball recipe:

1 lb grnd beef (I use 93% beef)
1 cup cornflake crumbs
1/3 cup milk
1 egg beaten
1/2 tsp of salt
1/4 tsp pepper

I mix this all up and then make meatballs from it. Then I bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes (depending on the size of the balls). At that point I open a jar of brown gravy (cheating I know, but quick & easy) and pour over the meatballs. I then cook them for another 5-10 minutes.

Oh and ya, everyone already mentioned the egg thing.

I should post my Cooking Light meatloaf recipe (but I have to look it up). It's a yummy Italian style meatloaf with Provolone IN the meatloaf.
October 2nd, 2012, 08:17 AM
Mama.Angie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hahaha, I've forgotten egg before and ended up with delicious, but crumbly, meatloaf. I don't eat eggs, so I often forget them.
October 2nd, 2012, 08:54 AM
Ok, recipe first, then some facts.

1 pound ground beef (80-20 is best)
1/2 pound ground veal
1/2 pound ground pork or italian sausage
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup freshly grated pecorino romano cheese or parmesan reggiano (please don't use the powdered crap in the plastic jar)
2 tablespoons fresh, chopped Italian flat leaf parsley
salt and ground black pepper to taste (I use roughly a tsp of salt and about 1/4 palmful of pepper which would be a little over 2 teaspoons)
2 cups stale Italian bread, crumbled OR 2 cups of italian bread crumbs
1/2 cup milk

Toss the bread cumbs in a bowl, pour the milk over it and let it sit.
Combine the meat with all the other ingredients, mix with your hands just until incorporated then add the soggy breadcrumbs.

Roll into balls and bake in a 350 degree oven on a cookie sheet roughly 20-25 minutes depending on size. (really small meatballs can cook as fast as 10 minutes, really large ones can take up to 35. If you will be finishing these in sauce they do not need to finish cooking in the oven, just stay in long enough to caramelize the outside. They can finish cooking in the sauce)

A few notes about the "science" of meatballs.

You do not need to use the 3 meats. It's more authentic to do so, and using the combination helps bind the meat together. If you use straight up ground beef it is really important to use a midlean. 80-20 is best, 90-10 is ok, DO NOT use anything else. Any leaner and they get dry and have less flavor, any more fatty and they end up greasy-yuck.

The egg is important! It is the main binder and really helps keep the flavor in as well. You can taste the difference.

Bread. It may seem silly, but it is important to use STALE bread. As in, you squeeze it in your hand and it crushes into crumbs. Just putting bread in the toaster or oven to dry it out is not really effective. There's a full scientific explanation to this but I'm not a scientist so just trust me.
When in doubt, use store bought italian bread crumbs (which does slightly alter the flavor) or, do like I do and when bread starts to go stale, throw it in a bag in the freezer for later crumb use

Lastly, soaking the bread in the milk. This acts as a second binder as well as helps retain moisture and lock in flavors.

FYI, if your meatloaf falls apart with and you're already using eggs you are likely either using too much moisture somewhere in there or using beef with too high of fat content. The 80-20 fat rule applies here as well.
If I can figure out rough measurements I'll try and share our meatloaf recipe. It is soooooooo good because everything in it is fresh, no ketchup here
~Rae~ likes this.

October 2nd, 2012, 06:02 PM
That sounds good Kara! I'll try that with your recipe next time. Is that how you make yours for spaghetti & meatballs, or do you serve it as the main dish?

October 2nd, 2012, 06:37 PM
Kind of both. I dont make meatballs very often so its kind of a special thing. Its also one of the only times I make my sauce from scratch.
But I think meatballs literally in the noodles is gross. Im with the Italians in that aspect, noodles belong dressed with sauce, not covered in meat.
I usually triple the recipe and we have pasta, then meatball subs and I freeze some
I love meatballs.

October 3rd, 2012, 07:19 AM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
Are you all using eggs?
October 3rd, 2012, 07:24 AM
mccaroline's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks to this thread I had to make meatloaf last night for supper. Just wanted you all to know that I'm blaming you for that.
~Rae~ likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search