O/T Calling all teachers, therapists, btdt moms, etc!

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 8miraclez

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 2nd, 2012, 03:31 PM
Dixana's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
AJ was given some kind of testing through head start (one was a DAP test, not sure what the others were). Miss Judy called today to talk to me about it.
On things like comprehension, general knowledge skills, cognitive skills, etc he scores above his age range and she was really impressed with his ability to understand, classify, problem solve all of that.
BUT, aside from his speech issues he scores horribly in both fine and gross motor function.

She talked to a few people and a therapist at the program and thinks it's possible a lot of his behavior issues stem from frustration because his brain wants him to do something and his body can't.

While he scores between K and first grade for comprehension type activities (things expected at 5-6 yrs old), his speech is around a 3 year old level, his gross motor is around a 3 yr old and his fine motor is around 2.

I'm going to be doing some research, he's probably going to start more OT in 4K, and Miss Judy is going to start focusing almost completely on motor skill activities when she's here.

I'm upset though. My goal has always been to try and have him caught up by the time he starts kindergarten and it seems like he's getting further behind.

If anyone has any ideas, resources, lesson plans, anything that might help me work with him, please let me know.

It frustrates me deeply as a parent to be told over and over how people (ie: teachers, therapists, etc) can tell I've been working with him, he's getting better, showing improvement, but his testing is still so bad

Thanks to the awesome Rachel for my siggy!

October 2nd, 2012, 03:50 PM
MommytoaMiracle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh no, I'm sorry. I imagine that is so tough! :/

I don't have any advice, I just hope that he catches up soon & it sounds like he will with the help he is getting.
October 2nd, 2012, 05:18 PM
~Rae~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm sorry you're frustrated. It's hard to see your child lagging behind on anything.

Have I ever told you about a kid I had one year named Riley? He was smart, but lagged behind in gross motor & fine motor. Fine motor was his biggest issue. His hands would tremble whenever he had to do detailed tasks with his hands. He had difficulty using scissors & his handwriting was unintelligible. I pushed & pushed for a diagnosis because I was doing everything to help & wasn't seeing any improvement. Turns out he had dysgraphia. They didn't diagnose him until first grade.
Anyway, what we would do for kids in kinder who needed help with fine motor is have them string beads. Any activity that requires them to be exact helps. Drawing small circles. We would also have them squeeze & mold clay (real clay not play-doh)to strengthen those muscles. Practice, practice, practice! It will help.
Don't be upset. Even if he's not completely caught up by kinder, it won't affect him
Negatively. Between ESL, tutoring, speech, OT etc, classroom doors are revolving doors now days. No one will know any different. My kids who never got pulled used to actually complain that they never got to go anywhere. Lol. He'll get there.

October 2nd, 2012, 06:01 PM
Oh Rae I like the stringing beads idea! I think he might actually do that without a fight.

I've given up any and all structured writing or drawing with him. He gets SO frustrated and angry and I end up having a hard time keeping calm. I still let him draw and color on his own and thanks to a summer of singing the proper pencil grip song he holds his pencils and markers the right way, but tracing letters, shapes, anything like that is a huge battle.

As far as clay molding, anything in particular like trying to make certain shapes or? Or just playing?

October 2nd, 2012, 06:17 PM
Also, would something like this be a good idea?
Dr. Seuss Lacing Cards: The Cat in the Hat | Other | The Scholastic Store

October 2nd, 2012, 06:41 PM
~Rae~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I like that Dr. Seuss activity!
Yes, you can just have him play with it. He will naturally squeeze it and make shapes, and that's fine. The most important thing is to find something he likes doing so that he will want to keep at it.

October 3rd, 2012, 08:55 AM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
((hugs))
October 3rd, 2012, 10:36 AM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
I'm sure I've mentioned my oldest dd before. She was a smart cookie. Talking and understanding and even began reading sight words at 3, but she was in ot and pt until kinder. She didn't walk until 20mths. Her younger brother did everything before her and she would get so mad.
We did a year of pt in 4th grade but the cost was outrageous and we ended taking her to a tumbling class that she loved, and was cheaper. She was the oldest in the class but it helped her confidence.
She started jr high this year. She still has hypotonia and I have to get her some orthepedic inserts for her shoes, but she is so smart. She is in choir, drama, taking photography classes and getting straight A's. She still gets frustrated. She can hardly ride a bike but loves swimming. We have tfied to focus on the things she CAN do and work around the things that are more difficult.
I wish there was some great suggestion I could give you. All I can say is, don't give up and don't let hourself get frustrated either.
marieks85 likes this.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
October 3rd, 2012, 11:03 AM
Mega Super Mommy

Thank you babydoll213 for my siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search