Does Your Baby?

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 3rd, 2012, 06:26 AM
MommytoaMiracle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Clap their hands?
Point to their body parts?
Point to something they want?

I thought I read somewhere that Savannah should be doing these 3 things & she is not. I work with her everyday with her body parts & clapping her hands, but I feel like I'm getting nowhere. She's super intelligent, but not doing these things...Is every baby here doing them?

With her background, I always worry she may fall behind.
October 3rd, 2012, 06:31 AM
mccaroline's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Clap their hands? Yes, he started this way earlier than my other babies for some reason

Point to their body parts? Nope, not yet

Point to something they want? Sometimes, he's just starting this

October 3rd, 2012, 06:34 AM
tricia_16_'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to tricia_16_
Kaylee does all three, and has for a whle. The newest of the three things is pointing to what she wants. She used to just whine and you had to figure it out, now she will point to her juice if she is in her seat for dinner and wants a drink. She will point to things that are left out that she isn't allowed to have, as if to say, "Look what you left out!"

Last night we were trying to get her to say Dada for Kyle, and Mama for me, so Kyle was touching his own chest saying "Dada" then her chest for "Kaylee" and me for "Mum-mum." After he did it twice she started pointing to him so we would say Dada, then to her so we would say Kaylee, and then to me for mum-mum. She did it over and over and over until we put her to bed lol She totally gets that she can point and get stuff done
October 3rd, 2012, 06:38 AM
~Rae~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yes, for 5-6 months. Did her pedi mention it at her 12 month visit?

October 3rd, 2012, 06:47 AM
Dixana's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Clap their hands? Yes, for quite a while now
Point to their body parts? Yes but she only really knows nose, ear, belly, toes without having to be showing
Point to something they want? Yes. Some days it drives me crazy because she drags me to what she wants and points and jabbers until I figure it out. I get through 3-4 things before she gets mad and screaming starts......

Im with Rae, did the ped bring it up?

Thanks to the awesome Rachel for my siggy!

October 3rd, 2012, 06:49 AM
No, he didn't mention it...He said she's right on track with everything because she uses her hands in every other way she's supposed to, except those 3 things...Idk, maybe she's just a late bloomer? She just turned 13 months a couple days ago, so If she's not doing them by her 15 month appt, I will make sure her pedi acknowledges it.
October 3rd, 2012, 07:21 AM
Happy Mommy
yes. not all body parts just a few.

I wouldn' worry. honestly for some it comes MUCH later. and doing all that at 14 months is actually head of the game
October 3rd, 2012, 07:35 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Clap their hands? yes
Point to their body parts? yes, but only belly button, nose, toes, hair, and eye. We are working on her ears now!
Point to something they want? yes

October 3rd, 2012, 08:11 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
He claps and points to what he wants but not to body parts. With my older 2 the ped didn't ask about body parts until their 18 month appointment. I wouldn't worry.

October 3rd, 2012, 08:11 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Clap? Yes
Body parts? No
Point? Yes

My older son didn't point until after he turned 2. And he is in no way behind. So I say ask at her 15 month appointment and otherwise try not to worry. (Easier said than done, I know!)

Lew, 1, DSD Lauren, 18, and Chuck, 4
October 3rd, 2012, 08:17 AM
Mama.Angie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yes
Yes
Yes

Still not talking though.
October 3rd, 2012, 08:49 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Clap their hands? Yes, he started that several months ago.
Point to their body parts? No, but that's probably my fault because I just recently started this with him. I started with "tummy" and it took him about a month to figure it out with daily practice. That happened just a couple days ago. Now that he knows what a tummy is, I'm going to try "head" and see if he grasps that.
Point to something they want? He points, but not to specific things he wants. He just points randomly.

William Jeffery, born 8/1/11
Evan John, born 2/24/13

Visit my blogs.
http://www.anilandcontinuied.blogspot.com/
http://reverendanissa.blogspot.com/
October 3rd, 2012, 10:01 AM
Veteran
She will clap her hands only sometimes. No to the other two.
October 3rd, 2012, 10:21 AM
irishblessing's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Clap their hands? He can, but doesn't often.
Point to their body parts? Yes
Point to something they want? Yes

I wouldn't worry about it. Kaitlyn was super into waving but never clapping or pointing until way later and she is ahead if anything. Dominic is into pointing but not clapping and I'm not worried at all. They all just kind of do their thing.

Thank you Vicki for my new siggy!
October 3rd, 2012, 10:32 AM
Thanks ladies...I'm just working really hard with her...I know she understands, she just won't do it...Her vocabulary & verbal understanding is pretty good, so hopefully it's nothing serious...Just time.
October 3rd, 2012, 11:03 AM
Platinum Supermommy
When I would ask Brynlee where her belly button was, I'd tickle it after I pointed to it. Then I'd kiss it or something to make her laugh. Now we ask where her belly button is and she points and smiles really big. I still tickle or kiss it. If she is wearing a onesie..which isn't often..she will slap her belly and try to pull her shirt off when I ask where her belly button is.

So I did the same thing with her nose, toes, and eye. I don't tickle her eye, lol, but I kiss it after we point to it. And I also ask her where Mommy's nose, toes, eye is. We are struggling with ear, LOL.

With her hair, I would just give her the hairbrush and tell her to brush her hair. So she tries to put the brush and bows in her hair. And I'll say, Brush mommy's hair and she will brush my hair.

I think if you just do lots of repetition and make it fun, they seem to learn it "faster". At daycare, they tell us on her daily report which letter or number they are working on. So we "work" on that number/letter in the shower with her bath letters and numbers.

So when I say "one", she holds up her one finger or picks up the number one. That's the only one she has down so far. She doesn't know or recognize any letters yet.

October 3rd, 2012, 11:07 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Tristan claps his hands and sometimes points to things he wants. It's a hit or miss. I'm really not worried just because babies develop different skills at different times. Savannah can walk really well and Tristan is just starting to get around so I think it has to do with her focusing more on other skills than those three. Don't worry! She seems to be doing wonderfully!

Thank you babydoll213 for my siggy!
October 3rd, 2012, 01:57 PM
Thanks girls!
If she was doing nothing, I think I would worry a lot more but yes, she excels in other areas but now I know we need to focus on these more.
October 3rd, 2012, 02:29 PM
joonzgurl's Avatar Proud mama of 2 girls
Clap their hands? Sometimes. Not on demand.
Point to their body parts? No
Point to something they want? No

Don't worry mama! I am sure she is just fine. She is also among the youngest in this playroom.

Proud mama to:

Avery Elizabeth (08/27/2011) & Dawsyn Brielle (10/29/2013)
October 3rd, 2012, 03:16 PM
Thanks! That's true!

It's hard not to worry! haha

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search