Who is still nursing?

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 3rd, 2012, 11:27 AM
irishblessing's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Dominic is, and I'm kind of worried he is going to get harder and harder to wean? I am not one of those people who wants to still be breastfeeding when he is 2+. Some days he is pretty good and will only nurse once or twice, but other days it's still more often.

So for those who have experience, do they get harder to wean as they get older or will he just naturally stop at some point?

He always goes and gets his nursing pillow when he wants to nurse before his nap, and he's so cute dragging it over to me that I give in

I don't know what to do! I really wanted him weaned by 1 year.

Thank you Vicki for my new siggy!
October 3rd, 2012, 11:42 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
I don't have any advice as Everett has nursed the longest out of my three and we don't plan on weaning anytime soon. But I am sure there will be a way to gently encourage weaning. Hugs.

October 3rd, 2012, 11:58 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We are still nursing but it is pretty much down to right before bed and if he wakes up in the middle of the night. I was planning on weaning him soon but I might just let him decide. Hopefully, it will happen over the next couple of months
CouponClipper likes this.

Thank you babydoll213 for my siggy!
October 3rd, 2012, 12:16 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We are still nursing a minimum of 4 times a day. More if he wakes up in the middle of the night at all. When he wants to nurse he comes over and does this happy flailing dance in front of me. How can I say no to that kind of excitement?!

Lew, 1, DSD Lauren, 18, and Chuck, 4
October 3rd, 2012, 01:03 PM
tobi4's Avatar Tobi
Lol I love how expressive these babies are. Colton is still nursing and because of his allergy the nutritionist says to continue until he is two. I never thought he would nurse that long but honestly I love our relationship. I think they wean when they are ready. I think as long as its working for you both, do what feels right.
lrowe70 likes this.

[/url
October 3rd, 2012, 01:06 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We're still nursing, and this is also my longest nurser of my three.

She only nurses once or twice before bed and then when she wakes up at night - 1 to 2 times. On the weekends, she may nurse once or twice before naps. I really do try to give her milk with meals and if I'm not home DH gives her whole milk.

I'm sure she'll wean when she's ready, but I, too, love the connection while nursing.
October 3rd, 2012, 01:32 PM
~*Nicole*~'s Avatar Nicole
We were still nursing until about 4 days ago. Alaina was still getting up one or two time a night to nurse and she nursed first thing in the morning. She just started sleeping through the night and not trying to nurse in the morning so I took that as a cue that she was ready to be done. Honestly, I think it was harder for me than it was for her! I was trying to get her to nurse less often so we just replaced daytime BFings with milk and toddler formula. At first I would just have DH do that so she'd not notice the difference and now she takes milk from me just fine. Good luck!

siggy made by Meredithh90!!!

October 3rd, 2012, 02:33 PM
CoreenaC's Avatar Carter-Carter's Momma
We are still nursing too! I love it although sometimes I dream about level hormones and not feeling starved all the time. Carter nurses probably 7-8 times in a 24 hour period. He drunks whole milk with meals or when mommy needs a break.

I ask him if he wants milk, if he does he signs milk and smiles and gets excited. If he doesn't he goes back to what he was doing. Other times he'll be whining, walk over to me and sign milk.
DS2-EDD 9/10/14
*Thank you so much *Kiliki* for the siggy!*
October 3rd, 2012, 02:56 PM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
I was until about 4 days ago.
My longest to nurse was 18mths when she self weaned. I just stopped asking if she wanted it and gave her a sippy instead. She didn't seem to mind. Natalie seems fine too. She would rather have a cup and a straw.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
October 3rd, 2012, 03:26 PM
joonzgurl's Avatar Proud mama of 2 girls
We are. You probably remember my post the other day about wanting to be done too.

Some days are better than others. I am trying not to stress about it now. She only nurses to sleep for her nap, bedtime, and then when she wakes up at night. It is more a comfort thing I think, but I do like that I know that my milk "fills in" any nutritional blanks in her diet, so to speak (she wont eat many fruits or veggies, like, AT ALL).

So... I dont really have any advice but I know where you are coming from. Hopefully he will wean on his own in time.

You know what another idea would be to get him to stop?

Get pregnant- you will likely dry up ;-)

Proud mama to:

Avery Elizabeth (08/27/2011) & Dawsyn Brielle (10/29/2013)
October 3rd, 2012, 07:44 PM
Veteran
We are. It's usually 3x a day. And of she wakes up in the middle of the night. I could probably drop the morning one, but I love that snuggle time and it's not a very long nursing session. I actually think the hardest one to drop will be the middle of the day nap. I too don't want to be nursing forever but we do enjoy it right at this moment. I've given myself permission to take it one week at a time.

The hormone swings are driving me nuts. I *think* I'm in the two week wait right now...but who know if I really am. So frustrating!
October 3rd, 2012, 09:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
we are. I can't believe I still am. He only nurses at night and then once or twice int he mornings. I don't mind it now that i don't have to do all the time like before. I think i will definitely miss it when he's done. I'll probably let him self wean off.
October 4th, 2012, 07:44 AM
Dixana's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishblessing View Post
He always goes and gets his nursing pillow when he wants to nurse before his nap
That is so cute

I would have been more than happy to nurse my princess until she was at least 2 but she had other plans (or her ears did
I don't think weaning would be harder as they get older, with the exception of bedtime. I would assume that if you're saying is part of their bedtime routine it might be hard to give up.

Thanks to the awesome Rachel for my siggy!

October 4th, 2012, 11:13 AM
r&lsmama
We are over here. Layla nurses around 3 times a day.
October 4th, 2012, 05:30 PM
irishblessing's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by joonzgurl View Post
We are. You probably remember my post the other day about wanting to be done too.

Some days are better than others. I am trying not to stress about it now. She only nurses to sleep for her nap, bedtime, and then when she wakes up at night. It is more a comfort thing I think, but I do like that I know that my milk "fills in" any nutritional blanks in her diet, so to speak (she wont eat many fruits or veggies, like, AT ALL).

So... I dont really have any advice but I know where you are coming from. Hopefully he will wean on his own in time.

You know what another idea would be to get him to stop?

Get pregnant- you will likely dry up ;-)
Haha, well... I don't think that will happen. I don't even have AF back so I have no idea if I can even get pregnant!?

Thank you Vicki for my new siggy!
October 4th, 2012, 11:56 PM
.stargirl.'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm still nursing Zachary. He still nurses 5-10 times a day. I don't think he's anywhere close to stopping, which is totally fine with me, even though I never expected to nurse this long.
October 5th, 2012, 06:51 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishblessing View Post
Haha, well... I don't think that will happen. I don't even have AF back so I have no idea if I can even get pregnant!?
You can...check SOTS

October 5th, 2012, 07:00 AM
Mama.Angie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am. She will wean when she is ready. I'm all for extended nursing.
October 5th, 2012, 10:15 AM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
Keelan is still going strong. He can go without when I work in the office a few days a week. He's fine for his sitter or Sarah, but he loves nursing. Plus he's still nursing a few times a night.
October 9th, 2012, 06:04 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We are, mostly just at night

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search