ZERO fruits and veg?

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By ~Rae~

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 3rd, 2012, 02:32 PM
joonzgurl's Avatar Proud mama of 2 girls
It's really stressing me out. This has been going on 3-4 weeks now and I am worrying about her nutrition. Avery will not eat any fruits or veggies- like AT ALL. I offer them at every single meal. Ones she has had before, ones she has never had.

She will only eat carbs and sometimes meat. Cheese.

I have tried just giving her the fruit or veggie first for a while, and nothing. She will just play with it and throw it on the floor.

The other day I got her to eat some bananna and some red grapes and I was sooo happy. But she's back to refusing.

A phase? A sign on something else? Is anyone else going through this?

Proud mama to:

Avery Elizabeth (08/27/2011) & Dawsyn Brielle (10/29/2013)
October 3rd, 2012, 02:43 PM
~Rae~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think it's a phase, for the most part, but the battle of getting your kids to eat more fruit and/or veggies is an old one.
I have had success with mixing them into things. I put fruit in oatmeal, give them homemade trailmix for snacks, & put them on sandwiches. They like a little cream cheese & sliced banana or strawberries on whole wheat bread. I also mix veggies into their soup or spaghettios.
Those are my ideas. I think they have entire cookbooks dedicated to the topic, but these tricks work for me right now. Good luck to you!
Rachel and PurpleQueen like this.

October 3rd, 2012, 03:06 PM
MommytoaMiracle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree with Rae...Try hiding them inside of other foods...Peas are our go-to veggie to hide because they are small & easily able to put in any food.

Also, you could try making her a smoothie with her fruits...Some kids much prefer that. Savannah wasn't eating her fruits for a couple days, so I decided to make a smoothie with nothing but fruit & water.

I put veggies in quesadillas for her, in mac-n-cheese, spaghettio's, etc...

Hope you are able to figure something out...KIds can be so picky!
October 3rd, 2012, 03:13 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
A lot of the meals I have been cooking contain tons of veggies. For instance I make lasagna without noodles and thin slices of zucchini made up the noodles. They all gobbled it up because it doesnt taste like there are veggies in it. He also loves my light Sheppard pie. My mom recently bought me a cook book called deceptively delicious but it requires tons of pureeing to hide the veggies and I just dont have that kind of time. I would just keep trying she wont hate them forever.

October 3rd, 2012, 03:21 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I have the opposite problem most the time lol.
I can get tons of fruits and veggies in her. Meat and carbs are iffy sometimes.

Thanks to Bokkechick for my siggy.

October 3rd, 2012, 03:39 PM
Dixana's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We have the same issue here as april.
90% of her diet is fruit. I struggle to get her to anything other than mac & cheese and fruit. I think the other girls had some great ideas though!

Thanks to the awesome Rachel for my siggy!

October 3rd, 2012, 03:44 PM
I have had success getting my daughter to help me make a smoothie. And she is interested in what I am eating, so sometimes I can get her to try it. But basically she will eat most fruit (all kids like the sweet stuff more than veggies) and then corn and beans. She told me she hates broccoli, and I know she has never tried it! It has been harder now that she is in kindergarten and sees what other kids eat and gets her ideas about what she does & does not like from them. This is just the beginning of a long food battle (although I try not to make it seem like a battle) where they will want sodas and sweets and chips later even though I don't keep those things at home.
October 3rd, 2012, 06:35 PM
Veteran
I go to a play group run by an RN and she's given some helpful advice on this subject. Her suggestion if having problems with a child not eating a balanced diet is to not sweat it. That's where a multivitamin can come in handy. She also says you should look at your child's diet over multiple weeks or a month or several months. Give her some time and try not to show your frustration. ( I know easier said than done).
October 3rd, 2012, 07:00 PM
mom2more's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aenyx View Post
I have the opposite problem most the time lol.
I can get tons of fruits and veggies in her. Meat and carbs are iffy sometimes.
^^^ This describes my little guy lately! He was such a good eater and now when I try to give him meats and breads he starts chewing and then uses his fingers to remove it from his mouth and toss it on the floor

October 3rd, 2012, 07:05 PM
irishblessing's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We have the opposite issue. He will eat mostly all fruit and veggies, and cheese. Hardly any meat :/ it is frustrating when you are trying so hard to get all these things into them. Just keep offering it and try putting it into something she does eat.

Thank you Vicki for my new siggy!
October 4th, 2012, 05:01 AM
Amanda21's Avatar Super Mommy
Will she eat baby food fruits and veggies?

October 4th, 2012, 05:31 AM
tricia_16_'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to tricia_16_
Kaylee doesn't eat many vegetables either, but we don't as a family. I always try to give her something healthy to eat each meal but we don't always do a great job She does eat most fruits we give her, but she doesn't eat many vegetables at all. Corn, beans, potatoes, carrots... and that's pretty much it. She spit out everything else she has tried so far.

She also almost NEVER eats meat.
October 4th, 2012, 07:39 AM
joonzgurl's Avatar Proud mama of 2 girls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda21 View Post
Will she eat baby food fruits and veggies?
No She has never let us spoon feed her and has self fed form day 1. I suppose thats kind of like a smoothie, I could try that and I could also try giving her a spoon with a puree.

Proud mama to:

Avery Elizabeth (08/27/2011) & Dawsyn Brielle (10/29/2013)
October 4th, 2012, 09:39 AM
Mega Super Mommy
William eats fruit because it's sweet. He is a picky eater and will NOT eat vegetables of any kind. Sometimes I trick him into letting me put a bite in his mout, but once he realizes what it is he spits it out. No veggies whatsoever get in that kid and like you said, it worries me. He loves fruit, crackers, yogurt and cereal. He will eat spaghetti but no other kind of pasta. That's about all and it scares me.

William Jeffery, born 8/1/11
Evan John, born 2/24/13

Visit my blogs.
http://www.anilandcontinuied.blogspot.com/
http://reverendanissa.blogspot.com/
October 5th, 2012, 09:29 AM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Rae~ View Post
I think it's a phase, for the most part, but the battle of getting your kids to eat more fruit and/or veggies is an old one.
I have had success with mixing them into things. I put fruit in oatmeal, give them homemade trailmix for snacks, & put them on sandwiches. They like a little cream cheese & sliced banana or strawberries on whole wheat bread. I also mix veggies into their soup or spaghettios.
Those are my ideas. I think they have entire cookbooks dedicated to the topic, but these tricks work for me right now. Good luck to you!
I agree. We find ways to hide it too. Give her some fruit on the bottom yogurt, or make a smoothie and throw some carrots in it. I have even made pancakes for the older boys with sweet potato or carrots. They never knew.
October 5th, 2012, 10:45 AM
First Time Mommy
Brynlee loves fruit, veggies, and carbs. She doesn't eat a lot of meat. If we have something with hamburger meat, she typically eats everything but the hamburger meat.

Keeping Up With The Petrosians
October 5th, 2012, 10:57 AM
Platinum Supermommy
The twins are SUPER picky about anything they eat. They love grapes, sometimes bananas, but they're picky about almost anything else. I saw this recipe I think on Tobi's FB. I am going to try it with the twins later

Delighted Momma: Dairy Free Chocolate Avocado Pudding

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search