OT poll. Please participate.

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

View Poll Results: Teacher donations...
I prefer a one time fee of $25-$35 15 62.50%
I prefer to donate $5-$10 for each ocassion as they occur 9 37.50%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree3Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 4th, 2012, 12:07 PM
~Rae~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Help me please. I'm Layla's Room Mom and one of my first tasks is to figure out a system for collecting money from the other parents for Teacher Appreciation, the teacher's birthday etc. basically anytime the teacher needs a gift. The director is leaving it at our discretion but says that historically, asking for a one time donation of $25-$35 from each family for the year works better than asking for $5-$10 every time I buy for the teacher. She says it sometimes gets lost in the shuffle or loses precedence over the many other requests for money school aged children bring home.
So as a parent, which would you prefer?
Please vote so I can plan. I'll weigh in after I get some votes.

October 4th, 2012, 12:20 PM
Happy Mommy
I prefer seperatly. so that I know that my $5 now is going towards ________ rather then I gave you 25 at the beginning of the year and now I don't know what i just paid for.

oh ETA: some times too, here they send home a letter that says, we'd like to get/make/buy XYZ please donate 5-10 or what you can... and I might see that and say, hey did you know you can get it for X price at such place, or I could make that for you at cost type thing. where as if you do it at the begining would you still send home a letter saying/asking what you were doign or jsut do it since you already have the funds?
October 4th, 2012, 12:22 PM
Dixana's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I voted $5-10 each time.
BUT, for 2 reasons. One, we are almost always broke the last year or so. $5 is possible for us without an issue, $25 might not be.
Two, we live in a very rural area with a lot of poor families. Other parents are very likely to be in the same situation as us.

If this becomes my responsibility as head of the parents group theres no question which 1 I would choose.

You live in a different area though and things may not be the same.
If I was living by my mom In a very upper middle class/wealthy community it would be a different answer.

Thanks to the awesome Rachel for my siggy!

October 4th, 2012, 12:37 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I voted one time fee. That's what we do with our Hospitality stuff here at school. Otherwise, we'd be "hit up" for money allllll the time. Birthdays, weddings, family deaths, baby showers, retirement, other milestones, etc

October 4th, 2012, 12:48 PM
tricia_16_'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to tricia_16_
I also voted one time donation. That way you do it once and don't have to think about it again.

Plus, think of all the other stuff you have to come up with money for in a month for school... pizza day, hot dog day, milk day, bookclub day, fundraisers, field trips... There's enough **** to worry about without having to fork out $5 every month for the teacher too.

Yah, I'd prefer all at once.
October 4th, 2012, 12:51 PM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
This year, my kids school are asking for a 1 time donation, and they haven't gotten it. It's easier for me to donate a few dollars at a time.

I liked it last year when, to earn money, they had break the rules friday. For a couple dollars, the kids got to wear hats, pajamas, hair color etc. My kids donated for every activity and had fun.
Dixana likes this.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
October 4th, 2012, 12:53 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Question: Is it required that they "donate" money to go toward things for the teacher? Also, how many students are typically in each class? I am just wondering what kinds of things are bought for the teacher for teacher appreciation and birthday.

With our Hospitality committee, it's not required that you pay the dues, but it is highly encouraged. Mostly, they just do cards for most occasions other than birthdays, but once a month, they typically have a "party" at out staff meetings. Maybe celebrate birthdays (not individual cards or gifts, just something like cupcakes or coke floats) or people getting their Master's degrees, etc. The problem is that people don't always pay their dues so this year, the money in the account is really limited.

October 4th, 2012, 01:35 PM
Thanks ladies! I think the one time donation is best. As a parent myself, it would be helpful for me at times to not have to remember to go out and get a gift for each occasion. What I would probably do if Layla brought home something like this, is send in money, but probably still buy the teacher something small in addition to the gift whenever I had time or the willingness to do so.
I think it is a good idea because a voluntary one time fee allows the class to give the teacher gifts instead of possibly singling someone out whose mom forgot.

Mandy, it is not required that they donate. it is supposed to be helpful for the parents. There are 8 kids in the classroom, including Layla.

This is the letter I'm thinking of putting in the kids' folders.

Dear Parents,

As the Room Mom for Mrs. M’s class, I would like to coordinate gifts from the class for Mrs. M's birthday, Teacher Appreciation Week, and the end of the school year.

A contribution of $25-$35 would cover these occasions, but any donations towards these gifts are strictly voluntary and choosing to contribute any amount, or none at all, would be fine. No individual names will be on the cards, and the gifts will be from the entire class regardless of contribution.

If you wish to take part, please send your donation in via your child’s take home folder in a sealed envelope marked with my name. Checks should be made payable to

I would like to reiterate that this is a voluntary gift and if you care to take part, any amount would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Room Mom
Dixana likes this.

October 4th, 2012, 02:25 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
I think I would like as it comes up. We would be more likely to donate that way. Plus like Ro I like knowing where my money is going to. What happens if there is money left over? Not enough for the whole year?

October 4th, 2012, 02:32 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I like the letter!

October 4th, 2012, 02:39 PM
Thanks Mandy!

I would send notes telling the parents what will be bought in advance, just as I would if they sent money throughout the year. There won't be any money left over because I plan to do a small gift, then a gift card. Gift cards can be any dollar amount.
If there was still money left over for some strange reason, it would probably be donated to the school or something. It's a private school; donations are always accepted.

October 4th, 2012, 02:44 PM
babi_lovin11's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to babi_lovin11
I voted the one time fee
October 4th, 2012, 04:49 PM
MommytoaMiracle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Great letter!!

Either way, I wouldn't mind.
October 4th, 2012, 05:25 PM
irishblessing's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I voted the second option, $5-10 for each occasion.

Thank you Vicki for my new siggy!
October 4th, 2012, 05:27 PM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
I'd prefer to pay once and get it out of the way till the next year.
October 4th, 2012, 06:35 PM
mccaroline's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I like your letter.

I voted a one time fee, I hate it when the school is always asking me for money. I feel like they are nickel and diming me to death. I'd much rather pay once and get it out of the way.
~Rae~ likes this.

October 4th, 2012, 09:32 PM
joonzgurl's Avatar Proud mama of 2 girls
Great letter! I voted the $5-$10 each time, but after reading the letter and the rest of the posts I would change my vote if I could.

Proud mama to:

Avery Elizabeth (08/27/2011) & Dawsyn Brielle (10/29/2013)
October 5th, 2012, 06:44 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I think the one time fee would work out best. For me, it is easier to give all the money the teacher needs right up front than to get several notes throughout the year asking for $5 or $10. I also like the letter to the parents. It's very direct and not pushy at all for the money.

Thank you babydoll213 for my siggy!
October 5th, 2012, 07:05 AM
Mama.Angie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I like the idea of an every time donation... but the practicality of the one time is for me. I vote one time.
October 5th, 2012, 07:19 AM
Thanks so much for helping ladies!!
I'm feeling better about the one time fee. I have some cute fall stationary that I'm going to print it on & send it with the kids next week.
Thanks again!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search