Overscheduled families...

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By w292737
  • 1 Post By ~Rae~
  • 2 Post By mccaroline

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 5th, 2012, 11:07 AM
mom2more's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am so glad we are not one!

We have two families that we are related to and they each have a few kids. All of their kids are in multiple different sports or activities at the same time all year long. So every weeknight is run run run. And every weekend they are busy all day both days and most times the husband and wife are at separate events all weekend. So they are really never all together as a family for long.

I don't know how they do it. Our kids are all involved in things but we just don't let them all be in high demand activities at the same time. And we for sure don't let them each be in multiple ones at the same time.

Any of you live this hectic schedule? How do you do it without getting burnt out?

October 5th, 2012, 11:15 AM
Happy Mommy
not here, they each get to do a max of 2 things, and I won't run every day of the week. currenlty C isn't ina nything. and L is still in horse lessons.
~Rae~ likes this.
October 5th, 2012, 11:17 AM
mccaroline's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome to my world. And I only have 2 in activities right now. Ringette for the 2 girls takes up 4 days of the week, then we do Guiding myself included. 5 out of 7 days in the week we are at an activity in the evening.

The hardest part I'm finding is homework, as DD1 gets into the older grades and has more homework to do, it makes for some rushed nights, but we get it done and it all works out somehow. I'm just glad I don't work full time and try to do all this.

October 5th, 2012, 11:47 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
We are not to that point yet but we have a pretty busy schedule with dance and gymnastics. I like it and so do the kids. Although we are not at games or anything on the weekends but I am sure that will change too.

October 5th, 2012, 01:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccaroline View Post
The hardest part I'm finding is homework.
I would imagine that has to be difficult!!

My older son has like 4 projects he is woking on for school right now. A history presentation along with a tri-fold poster. He has a major paper in language arts. A book he had to read and a report he has to write on it in reading. And he has a diorama project on science. All of it is due at different times next week. If he was doing activities everyday right now I don't know how he would get it all done without going crazy! Last night he spent 3 hours alone working on the history stuff. And another hour working on his reading stuff. Plus he had math homework. My oldest has a study hall during school so she gets a lot done then. And my youngest who is in school has maybe 40 minutes a night of homework, so its not too bad.

October 5th, 2012, 01:37 PM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
Clayton is the only one in extra curricular stuff right now, and that's just chess club. Neither of the others are interested in sports. We told the older ones that once they reach high school, they needed to pick a team sport to play. It's a lot easier (and cheaper) to participate once they are in high school.
October 5th, 2012, 03:12 PM
irishblessing's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Nope! Ours our still young though. But I really don't think we will ever be an overscheduled family because I think it's really important to have some down time to rest together at home too.

Thank you Vicki for my new siggy!
October 5th, 2012, 06:53 PM
Dixana's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My kids are too little for pretty much any activities of their own right now. When they're older though my plan has always been the same as Ro's, no more than 2 activities at a time.
The exception being something they can do once a week (like horseback riding or karate).
And I am totally that mom that will end all extra curriculars if their school work starts to slip.

Thanks to the awesome Rachel for my siggy!

October 6th, 2012, 06:05 AM
MommytoaMiracle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Not an issue here but yes, it seems crazy! I know people like that, too!

I plan to have B & S in something at the same time but only one something. Down time is important, too. Family dinners are a must.
October 6th, 2012, 06:29 AM
~Rae~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My kids are also too young for this to be an issue right now. I want Layla in gymnastics, but so does every other parent since the Olympics aired this year. There is a waiting list at both places I looked at.
Once I get her in, that will be it until they're a lot older. I don't want to start too early and have them overwhelmed, but I don't want to start so late that interests outside of boys/girls becomes tabo. I want both of my kids in one active extracurricular, one art, & one academic.
I want my kids to be naturally physically active. Too many kids now days would rather have tv or computer time, & I think if I can have them find an active activity they enjoy, they will continue past high school and not have to struggle with their weight.
The arts & academic clubs will keep them busy enough so that they don't have time to get into trouble.
I'm guessing this will keep them busy 3-4 times per week after school. At 16, they can drive themselves, but I want them home by 6. High school ends at 2:45 here. That's plenty of time to practice & get home for dinner and homework.
Dixana likes this.

October 6th, 2012, 05:25 PM
I may feel differently because we do this all the time, but I have to laugh at the people here and irl who say they can't schedule too much because they want the family time.
I think we spend more time as a family when we are scheduled like this. We all go to watch each girl's practices and games, even my parents come to see the girls. We always eat as a family, either before or after practice or sometimes in the van on the way, but always together. The tournaments turn into weekend adventures and we all go, playing games in the van on the way.
For Guiding, it's the 3 of us girls who go every week on the same day to our own Guiding meeting. It's something we all have in common and love. DH helps out with camps and getting things ready and set up for fuctions, even gets involved in cookie selling.
We may be busy, but we spend a lot of time together as a family, it's just not always in our home.
irishblessing and Dixana like this.

October 7th, 2012, 05:44 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I think I've tried to post to this thread, but got to busy to finish.

We are somewhere in between, but I can imagine us being those busy people when the kids are a little older. K and M have swimming lessons once a week. Luckily FIL takes them - it's his thing with the kids. When they're bigger, all three kids will probably do swim team.

M used to do gymnastics, but we couldn't afford both M and K to be in it, and I wasn't able to get the kids to weekday classes.

M has 2 clubs after school this year and she's enjoying those.

I do foresee all three of my kids being involved in at least piano lessons, if not also band or choir. Can't imagine why though.

This year is really busy for us though because of M's obligations with her title (and thus, my obligations). This ends in May, but if she decides to run again and then wins, well, I'll be in the same boat, but worse.

When we were kids, my mother always said we could only do one thing at a time. Kind of frustrating, but with 4 kids, I can see why.
October 7th, 2012, 07:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccaroline View Post
I may feel differently because we do this all the time, but I have to laugh at the people here and irl who say they can't schedule too much because they want the family time.
I think we spend more time as a family when we are scheduled like this. We all go to watch each girl's practices and games, even my parents come to see the girls. We always eat as a family, either before or after practice or sometimes in the van on the way, but always together. The tournaments turn into weekend adventures and we all go, playing games in the van on the way.
For Guiding, it's the 3 of us girls who go every week on the same day to our own Guiding meeting. It's something we all have in common and love. DH helps out with camps and getting things ready and set up for fuctions, even gets involved in cookie selling.
We may be busy, but we spend a lot of time together as a family, it's just not always in our home.
It sounds like your schedule permits lots of family time The people I know's schedules don't. The husband is running some kids to one thing while the wife is running some kids to the other. They don't get to sit together at games and practices because they have to be in too many places at once. That was what I was talking about.

My kids are in more than one thing...but they are all not high demand things that require us to run around like crazy..

My ds is in a sport and practices a few days a week and has games on Sundays. Its close to home. He is also in a club at school and stays after school once every other week for it.

My ss is in a sport and practices a few days a week and has games on Saturdays. Its all walking distance from our house. He is also in band. But he gets lessons during the school day and has one before school practice a week.

My sd is in chorus which is at school. It is a class for her during the day. She doesn't start her sport until the boys seasons are over. And it is through school so it will just involve her staying after school a few days a week and walking home because we are like 2 blocks from her school.

So it works out pretty well. One of the families I was talking about have kids on traveling teams, which require a lot of running around. And one of their kids that is on a traveling team for one sport is also on a school team for a different sport at the same time. The poor kid goes from after school practice for one sport to evening practice for the other. He eats in the car in between. By the time he gets home he eats again and does homework. Then his weekends are filled with games on both days. He was complaining to my son because his parents won't let him quit one of the sports so he can have some time to relax and hang out with friends.

October 7th, 2012, 07:54 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Oh, traveling teams for sports are high demand! I hope we don't end up with travel team kids.
October 7th, 2012, 09:21 AM
joonzgurl's Avatar Proud mama of 2 girls
Urgh, I am DREADING my life 5 years from now. Hockey (for boys) and Ringette (for girls) in Canada is huge (just in case you didn't know that already) and DH was a huge hockey fanatic. Our kids will definately be put in those sports (which are travel sports) and I can't imagine them not wanting to stick with it because all the kids here do it.

So, life will be busy then. Practice each week and then travel every weekend for games, nevermind weekend long tourneyments.

Then on top of that there could be skating club, dance, 4-H, guides/cubs. School sports. (and we live 30 minutes drive from town where most (not all) of these activities are held)

My head is spinning thinking about it.

I think we might be one of those overscheduled families. Thankfully I have inlaws right next door who I am certain will help us when needed to get kids to activities.

But I think they will have a limit of 2 activities at once that they can be in. That sounds like a good balance.

And of course, if Avery has dance on monday nights in town, I might try to find something for anther child around the same time. Because if I am going into town for one child why not try to find an activitiy that the other wants to do too?

Proud mama to:

Avery Elizabeth (08/27/2011) & Dawsyn Brielle (10/29/2013)
October 7th, 2012, 10:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2more View Post
He was complaining to my son because his parents won't let him quit one of the sports so he can have some time to relax and hang out with friends.
This is when it becomes a problem. I'm all for supporting and encouraging my children, but if one of them doesn't like what they are doing then it's not fun for anyone anymore.

October 7th, 2012, 10:54 AM
Leogirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sadly I know several families like this. It seems like all they do is run and I don't see how they have time for homework or even meals.

It will never be that way in my house. It will be one activity per child with school work coming first.

October 8th, 2012, 02:13 PM
Mama.Angie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't think we'll ever really do more than one heavier activity per child. We really value the being at home together thing. I know that will change as we grow as a family, but for now, I can't imagine having to rush around and have the whole over scheduled rush I see some of my friends taking on.
October 9th, 2012, 05:10 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We're pretty scheduled and will probably be more so as he grows.
Some of the activities we currently do are stroller club, mommy play group, music class, storytime, and running club. Pretty soon we're also adding swimming, art and gymnastics. We also find 1-3 events around town to do each week(such as going to the zoo)
I love it, it's my thing. I can't deal with "sitting around".
Can't wait until he's older and will get to pick which activities he wants to excel at.
Totally understand that this lifestyle is not for everyone.
October 9th, 2012, 04:54 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I pick and choose what they do right now. Elizabeth has ballet each thursday for half an hour, the other four kids are at home with the babysitter, so its not a big deal for us. N and A have swim therapy wednesday afternoons, but its during the time E is at preschool, so I'm in town killing time anyhow, again the other kids at home with the sitter. Right n ow Friday mornings sitter and I take all five kids to a math class group for 90 minutes. All our kids are little so many of our activities happen during the day. Swimming runs in 8 week sessions, E's ballet is all year though, but I do it right after her preschool anyhow. My kids will never do hockey or ringette and we will try to keep our weekends free. Gymnastics, soccer, swimming, ballet and tkd are my priorities, plus music and art. Oh yes I forgot our piano teacher comes to our house each Sat for 2hrs for lessons for the four kids. We're doing stuff but its all spread out over the week and kept as manageable as possible

Lucky mother to five!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search