OT: older kids and haunted houses?

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 6th, 2012, 12:56 PM
~*Nicole*~'s Avatar Nicole
How old do you think a kid should be before they can go to a haunted house without being traumatized? Should it be based less on age and more on emotional maturity? How do you know if a kid is ready for something like that?

siggy made by Meredithh90!!!

October 6th, 2012, 01:24 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I think it depends on the kid's ability to handle scary things, understanding of make believe vs real life, and their age. If the haunted is not to scary, I could see a 6-8 year old going. A scary one, especially the "better" more interactive ones, I'd want my child to be at least 10 to go.
October 6th, 2012, 01:41 PM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
I think it depends on the maturity of the child. When I was a kid, I loved anything scary. I'd beg my mom to rent scary movies for me and wasn't afraid. My ds is like me. Nothing scares him, but some of my other kids get spooked by the house settling and if they watch something scary, the end up in our bed.

This is the first year my 12yr old dd is asking to go to a haunted house. Before now, I wouldn't have let her go. I have an 8yr old dd that I'd let go though.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
October 6th, 2012, 03:10 PM
~Rae~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm thinking around 13. At that age they know what to expect, they know fantasy versus fake, and most importantly, they're old enough to take responsibility for choosing to go in there.
I'd feel sorry for a 8-11ish year old who chose to go to a Haunted House and was subsequently freaked out and too afraid to sleep alone, but I wouldn't feel sorry for a 13-14 year old.

S/N. I've only been once when I was 14, and haven't been back since. It was a crappy one at school, but it still scared me well enough to decide never to go back.

October 6th, 2012, 05:31 PM
mccaroline's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Definately more based on maturity than a set age. I have a 5 year old who will be able to go to one long before my 8 year old will be able to. Either way I won't be offering to take either one of them, I'm going to wait until they ask to go.

October 7th, 2012, 09:34 AM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
I think it depends on the kid. I'm 40 and I'd be traumatized if you made me go.
October 7th, 2012, 11:06 AM
Leogirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It really depends on the child. I was a child that LOVED anything horror related. I was watching horror movies at 5 or 6, all of my favorite books/movies/shows were horror based, and most of my pretend play had ghosts, demons, mummies, vampires, or haunted houses. I'm the person that will travel to go to haunted houses and more than willing to throw down whatever amount of money is asked to go though the "extreame" haunted houses. I also do real paranormal investigations so not a lot gets to me.

It would also depend a bit on the haunted house. Some are more family/kid friendly than others. I've also noticed in the past few years many have age requirements.

October 7th, 2012, 11:20 AM
irishblessing's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think it really does depend on the child. That being said, I don't think I would take them until they are quite a bit older than they are now. Those things can be FREAKY if well done. I'm hard to scare (like really really hard to scare) and the one at Universal studios freaked me right out one year lol. I might feel differently if it was more one meant for children.

Thank you Vicki for my new siggy!
October 7th, 2012, 01:56 PM
Dixana's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree with the girls above. I think it really depends on the event, the child, their maturity level, etc.
I have yet to go to a haunted house that was worth the price of admission. There used to be an awesome one in Milwaukee that would refund your money if you actually made it all the way through all of the floors. You had to be 18 and sign a waiver to go. It closed the year I turned 18
I'd love to go to a GOOD haunted house -sigh-

Thanks to the awesome Rachel for my siggy!

October 7th, 2012, 02:33 PM
mom2more's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I took my two older kids to a haunted house when they were 12 and 13 because they wanted to go and my sister was working at it. They loved it, but were a little scared. They are 14 and 15 now and want to go to those extreme ones because there are quite a few out here.

My 10 year old will probably be 20 before he is ready for one! lol So it definitely depends on the child.

I would think about how scared they get after a good horror movie and gauge it by that.

October 8th, 2012, 06:00 AM
MommytoaMiracle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree, it totally depends on the child but I would say probably 13ish...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search