Kid leashes???

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree21Likes

Closed Topic Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 6th, 2012, 09:26 PM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
Do you put a leash on your child(ren)?

I have seen small kids on leashes. They have a harness around the chest usually and is held by another person just like someone who walks their dog.

I know the reason behind it is suppose to be safety. The thought being that child can run off or get lost/stolen, but the only kids i see in these things are the hyper active ones that seem to have behavior problems.
Even with as many children I have, I still have never even thought of putting a leash on any of them, and till this day I still havent lost one
October 7th, 2012, 09:51 AM
Leogirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I personally will probably never use one but I don't look down on anyone that does. I can understand it's merit if you have a highly active or independant child because it allows you to keep up with them while allowing them a sense of freedom.
BeachMum and Hazel like this.

October 7th, 2012, 11:35 AM
BeachMum's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmiraX2 View Post
Do you put a leash on your child(ren)?

I have seen small kids on leashes. They have a harness around the chest usually and is held by another person just like someone who walks their dog.

I know the reason behind it is suppose to be safety. The thought being that child can run off or get lost/stolen, but the only kids i see in these things are the hyper active ones that seem to have behavior problems.
Even with as many children I have, I still have never even thought of putting a leash on any of them, and till this day I still havent lost one

WOW Amirax I think your post comes off as very mean. I for one have never used one but I think it's unfair to judge other mommas for what they use with their child. Each child is different and calls for different things. It's easy to sit back and judge, but walk a mile in another momma's shoes who chooses to use one. I see them a lot at amusement parks and I had a friend who had a special needs child that used one. It made him feel like he had some freedom without breaking her back holding him (he didn't want to ride in the stroller) and he wasn't hyperactive but it was just an option she used and people stopped and told her how awful it was and made her cry.

I'm sure you're not trying to be rude but remember there are mommas that do choose to use them and to be so harsh with your opinion can make another momma feel bad, especially since she isn't harming her child and is doing what's best for HER child. Opinions are one thing but to say a mom is treating their child like a dog is just harsh.

Last edited by BeachMum; October 7th, 2012 at 11:50 AM. Reason: spelling.
October 7th, 2012, 11:54 AM
Oh and I probably would have never considered using one either, but I did lose a child, or rather he wondered away from us one halloween and it was the most terrifying 5 minutes of my life, not knowing where my child was. I would have probably considered one of those at the time because it took a split second of another group walking by that he thought was us and he joined. I mean tying my daughter's shoe and looking up and my 5 year old was GONE. Yeah I'm thankful you never had to experience that with all of your children, and I'm not trying to be mean back, just rubbed me the wrong way and I'm in tears remembering that day that my friend was treated so harshly and told remarks like you posted.

October 7th, 2012, 05:23 PM
Hazel's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The reason behind them is not "supposed" to be safety--it IS safety. It's making sure a child isn't lost or stolen or doesn't have their poor arm yanked on holding an adults hand. The majority of parents utilizing a harness are not dragging their kids around--it is a tool to make sure an active and independent toddler doesn't wander off. If a harness is going to help a family, why not use it? Some parents strap their toddler into a carrier or stroller, some use a harness so the child can walk, and some parents are lucky enough to get a child who doesn't need any of them. Not needing to use something beneficial to other parents does not make one a better parent.
ChoMomma and BeachMum like this.
October 7th, 2012, 06:17 PM
ChoMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I said I would NEVER use one, but have a few times with my older daughter at a zoo, aquarium and shopping. AND not because she's not well behaved....because she is very well behaved, very sweet, very loving, very well mannered etc etc...but because she likes to walk around and not be strapped in a stroller or in a shopping cart. She actually loves her "monkey" and wants me to put it on her even if we aren't using it....for the most part I dont even hold the leash, usually I'm holding her hand but if for some reason she wants to wander a little further then my waist I hold the leash.

I think its just another tool that we as parents can utilize, some like it - some dont. Some need it - some dont. If a parent uses one, its not because they are bad parents or right away the kid is hyper or misbehaved. We dont use it often but when we do its not because we "need" to but because we want to and she enjoys it. But there are kids/parents that might need it and they are doing what is best for them, their child and their family. Who are we to judge?! One thing I learned after having kids is never say never and dont judge other parents choices esp if their intentions are good.
mom2moose, BeachMum and Hazel like this.

Last edited by ChoMomma; October 7th, 2012 at 06:37 PM.
October 7th, 2012, 07:25 PM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
Well I dont know why everyone is ganging up on me......I didnt say anything rude or offensive. I didnt call the kids dogs I said it looked the same as someone who is walking a dog so people would understand what i was describing!.
Answerdprayer u come across as a complete BULLY and U are very mean to say all that u said ...u are aiming meaness at me for what??? I have no clue...

anyhow ....thats too bad u lost a kid...i hope something like that never happens to anyone...and if this leash does something good for another person ..then thats great to hear...thats what the reason behind my post was to know if anyone would use one or not . I thought that was what forums were for...

but considering the email i just got from another "person" here ...it seems this DDc is out to get me out of here for some reason....
All you have to say is .." leave"
October 7th, 2012, 08:09 PM
I apologize for seeming bully-ish, that was definitely NOT my intent and I'm sorry if you felt that way, I did not see how it was so reading through it. I just felt like your post was so very harsh and it could hurt people. I don't think anyone wants you to leave? I don't see that anywhere, I for one don't think you should

October 7th, 2012, 08:10 PM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
Seriously??

HAzel...i would like to know from where and what in my post did i say i was "judging" anyone??
and who said anything about a better parent than another parent???

You women are really bullies!!! I think you all should go back to bed and get up on the right side of the bed!
October 7th, 2012, 08:15 PM
I really think you woke up on the wrong side of the bed. I didn't see anyone bullying you.

October 7th, 2012, 08:26 PM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
Tell me what is so "HARSH" about what said?
October 8th, 2012, 05:57 AM
ChoMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think it was the "just like someone who walks their dog" and "but the only kids i see in these things are the hyper active ones that seem to have behavior problems" that were harsh and/or offensive. Im sure if you used one of these leashes you would have never said those things. Anyhow - I dont think you should leave either, we all have our opinions on different subject and that's how it should be. I also seen a lot of "leash" threads get pretty heated... If we all agreed on everything it would be a boring forum lol. Please dont leave, I for one will miss ya!

October 8th, 2012, 07:48 PM
Hazel's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Your choice of words is judgemental and negative and insulting. If you say something that can be deemed controversial, you should be prepared to have people disagree with you. I disagree with your stance on harnesses and the implications you make with your statements that it is like walking a dog and that you only see kids with behavior problems using them. And yes, your final statement that even with many children you have managed not to lose any is judgemental and does imply that you are better. Words have power and if anyone chooses unwisely they often have to face the consequences. If the judginess coming across in your post was not your intention then perhaps in future you may want to pay closer attention to HOW you say things. The fact that several of us have taken offense might be a sign to re-evaluate your word choices.

BTW, I don't see anyone trying to make you leave, just trying to get you to realize your post is rubbing people the wrong way. If someone privately messaged you with something harsh, that should not be placed on all of the posters on this board. One person does not equal an entire group.
ChoMomma and BeachMum like this.
October 8th, 2012, 08:21 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Lets please close this subject ladies if we don't mind. Different ones on here have agreed to drop this. Lets bump other posts up and post different topics if we don't mind

That's fine everyone has opinions - it's great and glad we can agree on that so lets drop this and go on to different and more fun / exciting topics!!
BeachMum likes this.
Baby #2 is on the way!!
October 8th, 2012, 09:59 PM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
Chomamma- Thankx ...Yes if we all agreed it would be boring...but why is only one opionion allowed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel View Post
Your choice of words is judgemental and negative and insulting. If you say something that can be deemed controversial, you should be prepared to have people disagree with you. I disagree with your stance on harnesses and the implications you make with your statements that it is like walking a dog and that you only see kids with behavior problems using them. And yes, your final statement that even with many children you have managed not to lose any is judgemental and does imply that you are better. Words have power and if anyone chooses unwisely they often have to face the consequences. If the judginess coming across in your post was not your intention then perhaps in future you may want to pay closer attention to HOW you say things. The fact that several of us have taken offense might be a sign to re-evaluate your word choices.

BTW, I don't see anyone trying to make you leave, just trying to get you to realize your post is rubbing people the wrong way. If someone privately messaged you with something harsh, that should not be placed on all of the posters on this board. One person does not equal an entire group.

hazel- No way are my words insulting, judemental, or negative. Comparing a kid leash to a dog leash is what it is. The exact same thing. Saying the kids i see using
them are hyper or misbehaved is true in what i have seen. Nothing wrong with that. Unless you think saying hyper or misbehaved is bad. Well then thats ur
opinion. Not mine. Why are you allowed to have an opinion and not me? Yup if you think becus i have not lost
any kids because my kids are well behaved and walk without leashes then I agree with your opinion. why are you allowed to judge me by saying what u say?
why are you and others allowed to say such negative things to me? I think you and answerdpr should re-evaluate
the way you voice your opinion and the way you attack others.

Oh,,, and in my opinion, your poor choice of words and the way you and a few others attacked me, and no one thinking its wrong, could be compared to
a morbidly obese person who thinks they are not overwieght.
ChoMomma likes this.
October 8th, 2012, 10:08 PM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
momie2b-

cant wait to "move on to more exciting and fun topics"
October 9th, 2012, 06:26 AM
mom2moose
Then stop "talking" and do just that.
BeachMum, bajars2531 and AmiraX4 like this.
October 9th, 2012, 07:08 AM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
YES thank you moose! lets move on...
October 9th, 2012, 07:54 AM
Do you bottle feed your child(ren)?

I have seen small kids drinking from bottles. They have a plastic bottle with a rubber nipple on one end, just like a farmer feeding a baby cow.

I know the reason behind it is suppose to be convenience. The thought being that child can eat whenever they need to, but the only kids i see with these things are the hyper active ones that seem to have behavior problems.
Even with as many children I have, I still have never even thought of using a bottle for any of them, and till this day I still havent lost one

Is that offensive? Or how about if we replace "leash" with "baby carrier" or "cloth diapers"?

Last edited by MmommaM; October 9th, 2012 at 08:36 AM.
October 9th, 2012, 08:37 AM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
Quote:
Originally Posted by MmommaM View Post
Is that offensive? Or how about if we replace "leash" with "baby carrier" or "cloth diapers"?
UUmmm... reallly sorrry but the quote happens not to be anything that I have ever said ...Plus, whatever you wrote doesnt make any sense at all heheehe

BTW thanx for chiming in...we need the support here, and you seem to be one of the sharper tools in the shed......

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search