Grrr, she got bit again

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 9th, 2012, 10:50 AM
Platinum Supermommy
She got bit AGAIN. This is the 4th time. I know some of you said the whole thing about "well it happens" and blah blah blah (sorry but I'm ticked off), but clearly there is not enough supervision if she has been bit 4 times in less than 1 month.

The office manager called me and said that they always give a "courtesy call" when a child gets bit. I said um, this is the 4th time this has happened and this is the FIRST courtesy call that I have received. She said she was going to have the director call me and I said that I doubt that she will call me because I've called before asking to speak to her and she has never called me back nor is she ever there when I drop off or pick up.

I checked the sign-in sheet last week and a few times, there were 9 kids signed in for Brynlee's room...with 1 teacher. I was told that she was going to have a "part time aide" on her fuller days, but I have never seen an aide there. Granted, I drop her off early in the a.m. And there's always only been one person there in BB's room when I pick up. So I am not sure if there is an aide or not. I will find out as soon as that director ever calls me back!!!

I told her that I am considering removing her from their daycare and putting her in a place that has more supervision=less incidents of this crap happening. I know it's not the office manager's fault and I definitely was not rude to her, but I think I got my point across that 1.) I have NOT been notified of incidents unless I asked about them and 2.) They only had me sign incident reports LONG AFTER they happened and only for TWO of the incidents. I know it was only because I called the director and spoke to her husband (the pastor of the church).

I am so irritated.

October 9th, 2012, 11:16 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Oh no!! Poor Brynlee. I'd be pissed too. That's NOT acceptable at all. And aren't there laws stating that there has to be 1 adult to every 3 or 4 kids or something along those lines?
October 9th, 2012, 11:17 AM
~Rae~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh no!! I hope you get things straightened out soon, either way.

October 9th, 2012, 11:27 AM
tricia_16_'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to tricia_16_
I would be pissed too! Nobody hurts my child and gets away with it... and if it was because she is not being watched properly when I am PAYING for her care, watch out!!!!
October 9th, 2012, 11:43 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm sorry. I would be upset too.

In my state, the ratio until 2 yrs is 4 children for every 1 adult, no more than 8 in a room. At 2 I think the ratio goes up to 6:1, with a limit of 12. If they are not adhering to the ratios, I'd call them on it. It can affect their licensing.

K got bit several times at school - unprovoked most of the time. Unfortunately there was a child in the class that had a problem and the daycare had to show just cause to remove the child from the center. Three bites in one day means a child is sent home. Expulsion takes longer.

I should add that K actually got "suspended" for a day because he bite 3 times within 15 minutes. I think he just wanted to be with me.

I am sorry you're going through this and I hope the director has some answers for you.
October 9th, 2012, 11:52 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I guess DH was ticked, too because he went up there on his lunch break. He forgot that they do quiet/nap time from 12:50-2:50 though.

I am demanding a meeting with the director and if I do not get it then I will be removing her from that center and putting her in another one. Grr, such a hassle. My child is not the problem! It's that d*mn little brat that is crying EVERY SINGLE DAY when I pick Brynlee up.

She is always throwing a fit and constantly crying. It's ridiculous.

The ratios in Texas are ridiculous. For up to 17 months, it's 6:1. For 2 years, it's 11:1. But Brynlee is under 17 months so they HAVE to go by the youngest in the class. So they should have no more than the 6:1 ratio. If she was above 17 months, the 9 in one room would be fine under Texas regulations...which I still think it's absolutely ridiculous. I can tell every day that I pick up that the teachers (there's 2 that trade-off running Brynlee's room) have a hard time controlling the kids when they have over 6.
~Rae~ likes this.

October 9th, 2012, 12:22 PM
Happy Mommy
Good for you guys. I hate that ti's come to this as I know you had a harder time finding them. but hopefully you can find someplese so much better, nand safer for Brynlee
October 9th, 2012, 12:37 PM
irishblessing's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Uh yeah I would be ticked off too! I hope you get your meeting with the director and work something out.

Thank you Vicki for my new siggy!
October 9th, 2012, 12:48 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm sorry Mandy - those ratios are really ridiculous and not safe. I hope you find some place safer and better for Brynlee
Dixana likes this.
October 9th, 2012, 01:15 PM
wingqueen26's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My daughter is in daycare too so I share your frustrations especially with respect to the director NEVER being there. So strange. We have ratios in Pennsylvania and for young toddler (13 mos to 24 mos) it is 1 teacher for every 5 children, and thankfully in Adele's room we do have a head teacher and the aide and I've met both and both are always there on pick up and drop off. I say all that to say that there are Centers that "do it right" (biting aside) and definitely look for one in your area that does! GOOD LUCK.

thank u quantum leap for my siggy

October 9th, 2012, 01:17 PM
mccaroline's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That is not cool. I mean I've had my child bit and I've had my child do the biting, as a one time incident, not as an ongoing thing. 4 times in a month is not acceptable.

I'm surprised at the ratios. Here it's a 5:1 ratio with no less than 2 adults in a room at any given time. So even if there are only 3 kids in the room there has to be 2 adults, if there are 10 children there are still 2 adults and I don't think they are allowed to have more than 10 children in a room.

I hate to say it, but it may be time to start looking elsewhere for care, which is really too bad because you seemed so happy with this place when she was in the other room.

October 9th, 2012, 02:34 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Ugh. I accidentally made her teacher cry today. I didn't mean to. She's very sweet and friendly. But I think I upset her when I said I'm just going to find a new center for her. She started crying and said she feels like its her fault. I said it is the director's fault for not putting another teacher in the room or removing the other child from daycare. If my child has been bit 4x and I know there is at least two other kids then I think that's enough to remove the biter.

She said Brynlee is very good and never even retaliates. Yeah because she's too young for that. She doesn't understand the "bite back" concept and I don't want her to.

Sigh. This sucks.

October 9th, 2012, 02:37 PM
MommytoaMiracle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Omg, Mandy!! I am so mad for you! I cannot believe the way these people are running their business! Ridiculous! You have every right to be pissed!!

Keep us posted!!
October 9th, 2012, 02:43 PM
MommytoaMiracle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What a crappy thing for you to have to go through!

Doesn't retaliate!? Well ofcourse not...She's probably too busy crying in pain! Poor baby!

I hope you find somewhere you love! Have you thought about an in-home provider?
October 9th, 2012, 03:08 PM
Platinum Supermommy
She was with an in-home provider from 6weeks-13months. Our sitter moved to the outskirts of town and the drive back and forth is too far. She said she'd charge us $25 less a week so we would save $100 a month, but we would probably spend that much in gas.

I wanted here more in a learning environment, but now it seems like it is tons of trouble.

I'm just so frustrated.

October 9th, 2012, 04:09 PM
Mama.Angie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That is so frustrating. I'm sorry you're still dealing with this. I'd be LIVID to find out you've only gotten a call now after how many times and hearing they're supposed to call after a bite! Livid.

Uuuugh. I hope you hear from the director. I can't believe this is going on still, honestly.
October 9th, 2012, 04:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm so sorry Mandy. I'd be super mad too and I'm glad that the issue is now front and center... It's just too bad BB had to be bit 4 times for it to happen. I hope they kick that other kid out... If She's biting B I wonder who else she's biting.

Thank you babydoll213 for my siggy!
October 9th, 2012, 06:16 PM
Dixana's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ugh, unbelievable. I'm so mad for you! And poor BB.
I agree, that child should be removed by now.
I really hope you guys can find somewhere better for her or the director can get her head out of her b*** and do something to fix this problem!

Thanks to the awesome Rachel for my siggy!

October 9th, 2012, 11:50 PM
Mummy to great girls
Ah so sorry that B is being bit - poor little sausage. I would be down-right furious. Try find another centre Mandy, this all sounds very unacceptable. Keep us posted!

October 10th, 2012, 05:11 AM
BeccaM's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to BeccaM
That is just ridiculas!! Cole's daycare there is a 4:1 ratio for the younger kids. I get calls immediatly from them if he just falls and bumps his head or any lil scratch. I thought it was overkill with the calling but compared to your daycare Im glad now they call for every little thing.

I would find something else as well. Dosent sound like a very good daycare for Brynlee. Is the daycare an individually owned daycare or a big chain? I would even go above the director since you are getting nowhere with them.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search