She won't eat dinner!

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Aenyx
  • 2 Post By joonzgurl
  • 1 Post By ~Rae~

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 10th, 2012, 10:21 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I've been having this issue for awhile now and I need some advice. Mya hardly ever eats dinner now. She eats fine with the sitter during the day and she has her last snack around 3 or 3:30. I pick her up by 5:30 and most days we make it home around 6 or 7 depending on if I made stops on the way home. The first thing I do when we get home is heat up our dinner and most of the time she eats whatever I've cooked for the week. I put her in her high chair at the table and I sit down in front of her. She takes maybe two spoonfuls and then she's done. She starts screaming and crying and smacks the food out of my hand when I try to feed her. I have to literally hold her hands and stuff food in her mouth in order for her to eat. She'll eat it when I do that the first few times and then she's spitting the rest out. I've even tried giving her one of her toddler meals and the same thing happened yesterday.

Is anyone else having this issue? If so, how are you getting babe to eat? Her weight is ok, at her last appt she was barely 22lbs. I'm just worried she's not eating enough.
October 10th, 2012, 10:34 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Babies won't starve themselves so i don't think you really have to worry. Maybe she's just eating enough throughout the day and she's not super hungry.
Is she drinking much juice? I think that will fill them up with empty calories.
Do you give her finger foods? When we're eating, i give her little bits of stuff. She hates to be spoonfed now. Sometimes she plays with it, but eventually at least some of it ends up in her.
AniLand and Dixana like this.

Thanks to Bokkechick for my siggy.

October 10th, 2012, 10:53 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I try not to give her much juice before she eats but as soon as she has a little bit of food she's ready for her cup. I'll let her take a few sips and then sit it on the kitchen table. When she starts waving her hands around to try to knock her spoon out of my hands I put a few spoonfuls on her tray and she'll take very tiny pieces of that (and I'm talking single pieces of rice. lol). She's so stubborn. Eventually I just give up because I'm tired of holding her hands and forcing food in her mouth only for her to spit it out and throw it on the floor. I'm hoping this is just a phase...

Last edited by CouponClipper; October 10th, 2012 at 11:17 AM.
October 10th, 2012, 11:07 AM
joonzgurl's Avatar Proud mama of 2 girls
Trust your baby- she knows when she wants to eat. I wouldn't worry about it. I read somewhere that is one of the hardest parts of parenting- letting your children take the lead when it comes to food. But allowing them to self-regulate and not trying to force them to eat if they are not hungry will allow them to continue that into their adult life and (hopefully) maintain healthy weights.

ETA: I am having a really hard time as well. My little one doesn't want to eat any fruits or veggies!
Rachel and Dixana like this.

Proud mama to:

Avery Elizabeth (08/27/2011) & Dawsyn Brielle (10/29/2013)

Last edited by joonzgurl; October 10th, 2012 at 11:47 AM.
October 10th, 2012, 11:39 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I wouldn't worry. Maybe she eats often enough throughout the day, especially if she's eating lunch and a snack in the afternoons.
October 10th, 2012, 01:14 PM
tricia_16_'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to tricia_16_
At this age, all we really control when it comes to food is what foods we choose to offer them, and when the baby eats. Right now, baby has control of how much he will eat and what he enjoys/dislikes. I don't think it's our job to force feed our babies I agree with the others that maybe she is just not hungry. If you're really concerned, try halfing her 3:30 snack (our dd doesn't get snacks) or cutting it out all together!

I read recently in paper work from the hospital that a baby sized serving at this point is anywhere from half to a full serving of what we're eating. Half of what I eat is not that much, so she may actually be getting closer to what she needs than it seems!

When it comes to fruit and veggies (which my dd doesn't eat a lot of either) we have had success tricking her with the "veggie cheesies" which have vegetable servings in them, as well as the "apple sauce" you can get with veggies mixed in. She eats a cranberry carrot one like it's going out of style because you can't taste the veggies!! She also loves the "fruit to go" sticks that are mostly dehydrated fruit/veggies. Try throwing some fruit in yogurt or in oatmeal and that kind of thing too! Mix it in with other foods so they don't know they're getting it!
October 10th, 2012, 02:39 PM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
I agree with Rachel! Kids go through these phases, but follow her lead. It's hard, but she'll let you know when she wants to eat.
October 10th, 2012, 03:48 PM
mom2more's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My little guy is going through the same thing right now. Sometimes he eats great and other times he takes a few bites and starts spitting it out and pushing it off his tray.

It might be a phase or that he just isn't hungry.

October 11th, 2012, 06:14 AM
~Rae~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Layla was and is still that way. Some days she eats, some days she won't. Just keep offering good foods.
CouponClipper likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search