Forward Facing Carseat...

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By KCMomma

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 13th, 2012, 07:50 AM
ratladee's Avatar Madison Marie, My Sweet P
We were going to buy a new car but opted out of it since I'll be getting out of the army and our 2010 Mazda 3 is almost paid off. Well we tried out rear facing convertable seats and even though it's convertable it's still just as awkward and big as an infant carrier, so if it's on the driver side we can't drive right... Especially since it's a stick shift. I wanna keep this new hippo in the infant carrier behind the passenger seat. So Pea will have to be behind the driver seat. My question is if I buy a convertable carseat is it ok for her to ride forward facing at 14 months? That seems to be the only way all of us will fit in the car. :-/

October 13th, 2012, 08:17 AM
jojow
Hmmm. That is really too young/small to be forward facing. I know there are convertible car seats that are smaller but they are pricey. Here's one.. Sunshine Kids RadianXTSL Convertible Car Seat - Eclipse - Sunshine Kids - Babies "R" Us At 14 months she shouldn't need the full recline anymore, so it might fit.
October 13th, 2012, 08:50 AM
Dang that's pricey, but a lot let pricey than a 20,000 dollar car lol. Just wondering I know bbrus have sales all the time. We still have some time to shop around.

October 13th, 2012, 02:33 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to rancherandcitygal
Is the middle seat an option? Ours fits rear facing if it's wedged between the seats but that puts baby on the outside.

October 13th, 2012, 09:44 PM
Our Mazda 3 is like a midsize sedan... There is nothing to buckle in the middle seat so that wouldn't work. :-/ I don't even think I would consider that middle seat a seat, thats like a seat for a singular butt cheek, and who has just one of those.
Here's a pic I pulled off the internet. I tried the eddie bauer one thats specific for small cars and that was way huge. It sucks because I don't even think our car is that small!

October 14th, 2012, 07:05 PM
Loves Kate!
I've heard that this one is good for small cars-

Amazon.com: Combi Cocorro Lightweight Convertible Car Seat, Keylime: Baby

Born 11/19/11
October 15th, 2012, 06:45 AM
KCMomma's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think that 14 months is a bit too young to be forward facing. I believe the law says that at one year they can technically be forward facing, but the American Pedriatrics recommends to AT LEAST two years old. I would check out the car seat safety board on here. Those girls are VERY knowledgable and could give you good advice on how to get a seat in your vehicle. Or you could go to your local fire department. I believe they all have car seat safety certified people that would be able to help you. Hope it works out!
Snookums, ~Momma*2011~ and mBABYe like this.

Thank you Julka for my beautifully, perfect siggy!!

October 15th, 2012, 08:06 AM
I forgot that JM had one of those! Will def post there too thanks for remindin' me!

October 15th, 2012, 05:59 PM
Snookums's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'd research and see if you can find a smaller size seat that would work for you if you want to keep her rear-facing. Good luck! Finding carseats can be so hard!

October 15th, 2012, 06:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Ditto to what the others have said. I think the recommendation for rear facing is until a minimum of 2 years. I do have the Sunshine Kids Radian that I use for my almost 3 year old (forward facing). It's a nice seat, definitely smaller in design but pricey. Even in a mid-size car, car seats just take up a lot of room. I have 2 car seats in my Accord and it's pretty tight!
October 15th, 2012, 07:33 PM
jmills1129's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have a mazda 3 as well, 2010, anywho we use the latch system to put her in the middle, but even then the driver seat has to be pretty far forward, and we have a britax marathon 70. But i moved her back to the passenger side so i can have leg room lol

9w4d, June, 16 2013
Missing My Angel baby
October 15th, 2012, 09:39 PM
Weeeeei-rrrd!

October 16th, 2012, 09:09 AM
mBABYe's Avatar ♥ Life with BOYS ♥
In the state of Florida the law is rear-face until 12mo AND 20lbs+. Of course you can do it as long as you want. ..just sayin you wouldn't be against the law or anything if you flipped at 14mo.

However I would check out the carseat mamas on JM and see if they have any suggestions for a smaller seat maybe. As for the center seat in the back, there should be the latch system hook in the seat even if there are no seatbelts. You'll have to dig your hand in there to check it out.

Wife since 2004. ♥ Mom since 2008.

♥ TTC #1: 4 yrs, 2 months ♥ TTC #2: 1 yr, 5 months ♥ #3: Surprise twins lost at 7 & 10 weeks.

October 16th, 2012, 12:25 PM
Julka
Quote:
Originally Posted by mBABYe View Post
In the state of Florida the law is rear-face until 12mo AND 20lbs+. Of course you can do it as long as you want. ..just sayin you wouldn't be against the law or anything if you flipped at 14mo.
I think that's the law in most places (1 year, 20lbs), the 2 year rear-facing thing is a recommendation only. I don't really know what we'll do, but most likely forward-facing from 12 months. He's already over 20lbs. We only use rental cars and only a couple times a month, and it's ya-never-know-whatcha-gonna-get type of a deal and you can't "plan" with rental cars. I hope Natasha can hit 40lbs already and move to a booster in the next 2-3 months so Sebastian can get her car seat.
October 17th, 2012, 02:07 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I drive a Chevy Aveo. It is tiny as crap. We have a Graco Comfort sport rear facing behind the driver and it fits just fine. It is a pretty cheap seat too, under $100. There are tons of seats out there that would never fit rear facing in my car, but there are a few that will you just have to look around. They reccomend that you keep a child RF until 2, but the law here is 1 year/20 lbs. Personally I would not have my 14 month old FF.

October 18th, 2012, 04:33 AM
D@mnedYankee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My ped told me to go by the weight limits on our seat since Joe is such a big guy. So he will be forward facing at 35lbs regardless of age (he is already 24.5lbs so I dont see him making it much past a year rear facing).
IDK if the PX has the same stock as the NEX but we bought a convertible there (the NEX) for $50 thats small enough to go in our Honda Fit, its still tight in front of it but we have a bit more leg room, its from Cosco

Thanks Julia for the great siggy! <3

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search