Wwyd?

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By ~*Nicole*~
  • 2 Post By Dee Darling 3
  • 2 Post By CoreenaC

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 15th, 2012, 09:16 AM
~Rae~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Scenario:

My cousin and her nine year old son were at a park. Her son was playing with his soccer ball, & she was sitting on a bench watching him. Three teenagers walked up behind her, and somehow it became clear to her that they were about to relax on the grass about 15 feet behind her and smoke weed. She called over, "hey! Y'all have exactly 3 seconds to take that somewhere else. My kid is here, & other kids are here." They called back, "sorry ma'am" & appeared to leave the park. They may have just moved to a different area.

What would you do if it were you & your kids?
Have you been in a similar situation with strangers exhibiting unruly behavior around your children, ie playing loud vulgar music, using foul language, horse playing etc.? How did you handle that? Were you afraid to speak up?

October 15th, 2012, 09:23 AM
mccaroline's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yep, I speak up to kids at the park and to our young adult neighbours all the time. I'm a loud mouth and a large person so it doesn't bother me to speak up, don't mess with my kids! I was only rattled once when they were very drunk and decided to threaten me, but I always carry my phone and the police are only a phone call away.

October 15th, 2012, 09:28 AM
~*Nicole*~'s Avatar Nicole
I would have done the same thing. I don't see any reason to make a bigger deal about something like that because I have pretty strong opinions about people who smoke weed taking up too much room in our judicial system lol.

One of my pet peeves about older kids when I'm with my kids is when they use the little kid playground equipment and won't move when actual little kids want to use it. I definitely say something in those situations.
Rachel and Dixana like this.

siggy made by Meredithh90!!!

October 15th, 2012, 09:50 AM
joonzgurl's Avatar Proud mama of 2 girls
I would speak up too, in that situation anyways. But if they were horsing around, etc I wouldn't (as long as they weren't getting too close to the kids) because I don't think that is a big deal. Foul language? If there was a ton of it I might say something, but not if it was just a few things.

Proud mama to:

Avery Elizabeth (08/27/2011) & Dawsyn Brielle (10/29/2013)
October 15th, 2012, 09:54 AM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
Would have done the same. I haven't said anything to kids about weed before, but I have to kids using profanity around my kids.
October 15th, 2012, 10:26 AM
~Rae~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
She told me about it, & also posted it on fb. Some people were saying they wouldn't have said anything, they would have called the police.
I personally would have just packed my kids up & left in the case of illegal activity.

I have had to check a few preteens for foul language at a park by my sister's apartment. There is a school right by the park, & some of the kids who walk home visit the park before going home. They can get rowdy; horse playing & cursing. I have always been able to force them to move on by shouting "boys!" clapping once, & giving my teacher stare.
I have also politely asked a young person to turn down his music at the gas station. I was pumping my gas, & he pulled up next to me. The song he was playing was TERRIBLE, & he was blasting it. My kids could hear it even with the windows up. I asked could he turn the music down for a few minutes since my kids were there. He apologized, & turned it completely off.

Last edited by ~Rae~; October 15th, 2012 at 03:54 PM.
October 15th, 2012, 10:51 AM
Platinum Supermommy
In that situation, yes, I would have said something. I am not usually very shy about my opinion.

October 15th, 2012, 11:29 AM
Dixana's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I definitely would have said something. I don't have a problem with people who smoke pot, but I have a BIG problem with people who think can do it around my kids.
I have yet to encounter any problems with older kids at any of the parks we have gone to but I dont have a problem speaking up.

Thanks to the awesome Rachel for my siggy!

October 15th, 2012, 11:46 AM
Platinum Supermommy
It depends on the kids. I probably would have said something.

I just want to say those were nice kids. Most kids around here would have told you to move and f off.
Rachel and ~*Nicole*~ like this.
October 15th, 2012, 11:54 AM
Mummy to great girls
If they had just been noisy, I would have said something but I think in this case I would have packed up the kid and walked away - you never know how stoned they are and I am not that brave without DH around.......but I suddenly do seem to find my "super-mom cape" when DH is around and I would have probably chased them across town and into the police station :-)

October 15th, 2012, 03:03 PM
CoreenaC's Avatar Carter-Carter's Momma
I probably would have left. I'm non-confrontational and would rather find a better place for Carter to play then possibly make an unpredictable person mad and have them threaten or hurt my son or myself.
irishblessing and mom2more like this.
DS2-EDD 9/10/14
*Thank you so much *Kiliki* for the siggy!*
October 15th, 2012, 03:10 PM
Dixana's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Darling 3 View Post
It depends on the kids. I probably would have said something.

I just want to say those were nice kids. Most kids around here would have told you to move and f off.
Any kid telling me to f off would get to watch me call the cops. Wanna do drugs? Couldnt care less. Wanna do drugs around my kids? We have a serious problem!

Thanks to the awesome Rachel for my siggy!

October 15th, 2012, 04:39 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
I probably would have left if I was 100% sure. I have said things to kids who were being mean to David and Katelynn. I was 2 seconds away from asking where their parents were. They would not let David or Katelynn slide down the slide. They stood at the bottom. They finally stopped.

October 15th, 2012, 06:17 PM
First Timer!!!
i agree with dixana .. they can walk a ways away and do that ... if kids are in the park playing the stoners can be polite enough to find a secluded area
October 15th, 2012, 08:53 PM
mom2more's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have been at our local park and had kids swearing and acting like idiots. I chose to ignore it. My 1 year old wasn't paying attention and my 10 year old was in his own world playing with his friends. If it was causing a distraction for my kids I probably would have just left. And if there were drugs involved I probably would just have left as well.

We live in a smaller town and I have two teens. Wouldn't want those teens knowing who my teens are and harassing them because I spoke up. Or knowing where I live and doing something stupid to my cars or house.

October 16th, 2012, 06:43 AM
Mama.Angie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would say something. If I was the only one around, however, and the kids looked any kind of violent (this is such a stereotype, I'm not trying to peg anyone on looks, but I'd make some kind of assessment because that's all I'd have right?) and I wasn't close to anything where I might get help, maybe I'd not say something and instead opt to take my kids and go. It really does depend on the situation. I'd rather not make issues for myself and kids. If I was in a populated area where there were other people nearby oh yes, I'd speak up. Nothing changes if you don't speak up.
October 16th, 2012, 09:48 AM
irishblessing's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would probably just get up and leave.

Thank you Vicki for my new siggy!
October 17th, 2012, 07:09 AM
MommytoaMiracle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It really depends...I probably would just move somewhere else, because people are very unpredictable & I wouldn't want to put myself & my daughter in a dangerous situation over something I wasn't directly involved in.

But if they become unruly & started to become a problem to me or Savannah, then yes. I have ZERO problem sticking up for my daughter when needed.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search