Question for the teachers!

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree13Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 16th, 2012, 10:38 PM
mom2more's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
How frustrating!!

I would be upset that they are asking him daily if he took his meds and sending him to the office if he says no. Meds should be a parents choice, not a schools.

My sisters friend was diagnosed with ADHD when she was younger and her mom wanted to get the school off her back so she got medication for her. But, she never gave it to her. Instead she gave her a vitamin every morning and told the girl it was ADHD medication to help her. The girl did well in school. And she didn't find out till she was a teen that she never really was on medication.

ADHD is so difficult. As a parent I have struggled with the idea of medicating my son with ADHD. I watched my stepdaughter who was wrongly diagnosed with ADHD before I met my husband be medicated and experience side effects, when in reality she had an undiagnosed learning disability. Because she couldn't understand what the class was doing she daydreamed, tapped, talked out of turn, and hummed. Because her parents were going through a divorce she acted out a little. That got her diagnosed with ADHD.

As a teacher I saw some kids who really needed the meds and I saw others that I really felt didn't. I saw kids who had awful side effects and others who medication made all the difference in the world for them and helped them succeed. Medicating is such a personal choice.

I guess you have to think about what you want to do. Do you want to medicate or not medicate? What made you medicate in the first place? Did you see a positive difference at home and school when he is on medication? Is it significant? And I think the others had some good ideas about finding out via video taping or observations how your son's days go at school.

I also wanted to add that when I was teaching we had cases where parents just said that they had tried ADHD medication and their child had bad side effects and they were not interested in doing it again. There are things the school can do to help kids with ADHD (though it may be a fight to get it going-for me I had to bring an advocate with me) Some kids with ADHD get 504 plans that give them some accommodations. Others have IEP's that are more involved than a 504. My son is unmedicated and has an IEP. His school has been a PITA about following the IEP though. The school I worked in was much better about that stuff.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search