Teachers...or anyone else who wants to weigh in.

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 17th, 2012, 09:48 AM
~Rae~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I know this is long, but I need advice. I have to make the decision pretty soon here too.
I've decided to go back to work part-time, and have been looking for the perfect part-time job for about a month. I currently have three jobs lined up, but none feel perfect to me. I want something around 3 hours a day, low pressure, and student centered.
I finally decided to look for TA positions. It just made sense. That job completely fits my criteria, and has the bonus of a paycheck in the summer! I looked on my former district's website, and they had 4 listings for pt pre-k TA positions, one being on my former campus. I applied for all except the one on my former campus because I used to work with the current pre-k teacher on the kindergarten team. She is a wonderful person personally, but she is a horrible teacher. She loves her kids, is genuinely there for them, but she just can't teach. She's everything you never want to see in a teacher; no classroom management skills, no common sense, no ability to establish order whatsoever. When we taught on the kindergarten team, administration tried everything to get her up to speed including hiring a sub for me so that I could work in her classroom for a day or two to establish order. It worked, but she eventually slipped back into chaos. She, of course, won't be fired. They just shift her around to different grade levels, hoping to find a fit. And just in case you're wondering, no, she's not a new teacher. I think she has 15 years total.

Long story short, I just didn't think working with her would be ideal. I figured I would turn into the teacher, and she into the aide, yet she'd be making twice as much as I would. I decided not to apply.

Well, when you apply for one school, other schools have the ability to see it. My former principal saw it, and she called me wanting to know why I didn't want to come back to her campus. I went up there to explain in person, and she assured me the teacher had changed since going to pre-k. She took me to her classroom, and OMG, it looked like a well run classroom. Everything was in order. The kids were engaged in their lesson. Everything was in place. I also learned I would be one of two aides. The district has extra money and is adding an extra aide to every pre-k classroom with more than 21 kids.

So now I'm wondering if I should take the job. Would you do it if it were you? I called my mentor, and she said she would find it difficult to take a lower position in a school she previously worked for. That doesn't bother me because at this point in my life, I WANT a lower position. Lower position is less stress and less responsibility, and taking care of my kids and being able to volunteer at Layla's school is top priority for me. I could walk out of there at 11 am, and leave it all behind.
So my questions are: would you work with a teacher like the one I described?
Would you find it odd to work in a lower position on a campus you previously worked at?

October 17th, 2012, 10:20 AM
MommytoaMiracle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would take the job! If the principal, knowing how she is, says she's changed then I would take her word for it...Sounds like a great opportunity for you!! Like, the perfect job! And at the end of the day, if you get in there & HATE it, you can always find something else.

JMO

good luck!!!!
October 17th, 2012, 10:32 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I kind of agree with the above. I totally get your hesitation, and I would question it too. Normally I would say "Trust your instincts". But in this case the principal seemed confident that things were improved, and you even saw it with your own eyes. I guess I want to ask you - do you think the principal is being honest, or is she BSing you so you'll come back?

William Jeffery, born 8/1/11
Evan John, born 2/24/13

Visit my blogs.
http://www.anilandcontinuied.blogspot.com/
http://reverendanissa.blogspot.com/
October 17th, 2012, 10:35 AM
CoreenaC's Avatar Carter-Carter's Momma
I would take it too! Except for your fears about the teacher, it sounds like the perfect job and someone you know and trust told and showed you she has changed. I'd take the principles word for it and take it!
DS2-EDD 9/10/14
*Thank you so much *Kiliki* for the siggy!*
October 17th, 2012, 11:31 AM
Happy Mommy
I'd take it. in no way would I find it weird if I knew that is what I wanted, and anyone who knows you would know that is what you were going for, and if they find it off or make comments then forget them any how.
October 17th, 2012, 11:36 AM
tricia_16_'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to tricia_16_
I'd take it too! You can always try for another job somewhere else if you do take this one and absolutely HATE it, right?
October 17th, 2012, 11:53 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I wouldn't care about the "lesser" position if that's what you want. Wouldn't bother me at all.

I completely understand your hesitation, but seeing the room would help ease it. I would take the job, especially if you trust the principal. Maybe something changed in the teacher's life to better enable her to be a better teacher.
October 17th, 2012, 05:08 PM
mom2more's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So my questions are: would you work with a teacher like the one I described? If she has changed I would. And if you start there and she hasn't changed don't let yourself be given her responsibilities.

Would you find it odd to work in a lower position on a campus you previously worked at? not at all...you didn't get demoted, you wanted less responsibilities. Plus I am sure you will enjoy running into all your old colleagues

October 17th, 2012, 05:11 PM
irishblessing's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would give it a try. The lesser position wouldn't bother me in the least. You are at a different stage in you're life!

Thank you Vicki for my new siggy!
October 18th, 2012, 09:21 PM
~Rae~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks everybody! Y'all really helped me make my decision. I was so nervous that I'd make the wrong choice, but I decided to go back! I called my principal today & told her I would take the job.
So yay! I have a job now! I'll be working 8-11 which is light enough for me to still do the things I like to do with my kids.
I'm going shopping tomorrow & getting my hair done. I havent worked in over three years, so I need to update my wardrobe. I hope it all works out. If it does, I can see me doing this for the next 2 years or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AniLand View Post
I kind of agree with the above. I totally get your hesitation, and I would question it too. Normally I would say "Trust your instincts". But in this case the principal seemed confident that things were improved, and you even saw it with your own eyes. I guess I want to ask you - do you think the principal is being honest, or is she BSing you so you'll come back?
I was afraid that things only appeared to be better, & she only thought the teacher had improved. And yes, I was also a little afraid that she just wanted me back on campus. She tried to talk me into a full time teaching position while I was there. One of the teachers is retiring due to health reasons, and she said she'd really love it if I took over her room. This was after we talked about the part time position though.

October 19th, 2012, 07:02 AM
joonzgurl's Avatar Proud mama of 2 girls
Good choice rae! Yay for updating your wardrobe!

Proud mama to:

Avery Elizabeth (08/27/2011) & Dawsyn Brielle (10/29/2013)
October 19th, 2012, 10:04 AM
~*Nicole*~'s Avatar Nicole
You have always come across to me as super confident and not one to care what other people think, so I don't think anyone would think twice about you choosing a lower position. I think it's great that you found a job that you can enjoy! And what could make for a better first day than already knowing most of the people you work with? That takes away a lot of stress Good luck!

siggy made by Meredithh90!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search