unusual reactions to news

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 17th, 2012, 07:40 PM
Field Mouse's Avatar nom nom
So I am 15 weeks pregnant and I announced at work. Here are a few reactions "didn't you just have a kid??" and "was this planned?"

N and the new baby will be 20 months apart but seriously, I didn't know people would actually say stuff like that out loud.
October 17th, 2012, 07:46 PM
~*Nicole*~'s Avatar Nicole
People say dumb things a lot. Don't let them get to you

siggy made by Meredithh90!!!

October 17th, 2012, 07:49 PM
I just am really shocked by the lack of censoring of what they are thinking. Think it, sure, but seriously, don't ask me point blank.
October 17th, 2012, 07:57 PM
Dixana's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
People can be so rude.

I guess I can't really talk...my nieces are like 11 months apart and we tease my brother all the time that he could have at least waited until the doctor got out of the way to knock my SIL up again.

But then again, they're family. And your babies will be almost 2 years apart!
Rachel, ~Rae~ and mom2more like this.

Thanks to the awesome Rachel for my siggy!

October 17th, 2012, 07:58 PM
Platinum Supermommy
People are insane. I think all of the pregnant women here are crazy lol but I'd never say those things to people!

October 17th, 2012, 08:03 PM
~*Nicole*~'s Avatar Nicole
I don't understand why people say the DUMBEST things to pregnant women. They're already hormonal and emotional and the tiniest thing can push them over the edge I remember when I was pregnant with #2 and I got HUGE. I waited tables until the day before I gave birth and I probably had 4 or 5 people a day comment on how fat I was or ask me "are you sure there's only one in there?" I cried a lot because of hormones and dumb things people said. Would someone say these things to a woman who wasn't pregnant? Lol

siggy made by Meredithh90!!!

October 17th, 2012, 08:04 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I've been known to say crazy things to people, but never serious.

I will admit I was unusually outspoken with a newer co-worker. I found out he has a 4 yr old, 3 yr old, a 10 month old and is expecting their 4th in January. He's younger, maybe 26. I actually told him that I needed to introduce him to condoms.

Ok, I did congratulate him, and let him know I was joking and told him that his wife must be a saint.
w292737 likes this.
October 17th, 2012, 08:37 PM
mom2more's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixana View Post
People can be so rude.

my nieces are like 11 months apart and we tease my brother all the time that he could have at least waited until the doctor got out of the way to knock my SIL up again.
I totally just laughed out loud at this!

October 17th, 2012, 08:38 PM
~Rae~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yeah, I think it just shocks people & things jump out of their mouths before they can think.
When I was pregnant with Xavier, my sister was annoyed because she said Layla was still a baby & we should have waited. She was 16 months, & had Xavier been full term, they would have been 25 months apart. Pissed me right off. She and I are 23 months apart, so I didn't expect that reaction. I guess when it's not your babies, people find it odd to have a baby & be working on another one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixana View Post
People can be so rude.

I guess I can't really talk...my nieces are like 11 months apart and we tease my brother all the time that he could have at least waited until the doctor got out of the way to knock my SIL up again.

But then again, they're family. And your babies will be almost 2 years apart!
My cousin's girls are 8 months apart because the second was premature, & her bf brother texted him asking if he had gotten her pregnant again yet.

October 17th, 2012, 08:46 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Darling 3 View Post
I've been known to say crazy things to people, but never serious.

I will admit I was unusually outspoken with a newer co-worker. I found out he has a 4 yr old, 3 yr old, a 10 month old and is expecting their 4th in January. He's younger, maybe 26. I actually told him that I needed to introduce him to condoms.

Ok, I did congratulate him, and let him know I was joking and told him that his wife must be a saint.
We have a 5 year old, 4 year old, 14 month old, and one on the way my husband is 25 The only one that was planned completely was Everett. We used condoms and we still got pregnant sometimes it just happens.

I am terrified of that exact reaction. I do not even want to tell anyone honestly. And I think its part of my issues. (SOTS)

October 17th, 2012, 11:16 PM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
Try having 6 babies on some kind of birth control. As if I need to explain to stupid people how things work, or fail.
UGH!
It's hard not to let it bother you. It really isn't anyone else's business though. Tell them to go stick their nose where it's wanted.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
October 17th, 2012, 11:55 PM
irishblessing's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
People should really learn to just keep their mouths closed with stuff like that!

Thank you Vicki for my new siggy!
October 18th, 2012, 05:09 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by navywifey2003 View Post
We have a 5 year old, 4 year old, 14 month old, and one on the way my husband is 25 The only one that was planned completely was Everett. We used condoms and we still got pregnant sometimes it just happens.

I am terrified of that exact reaction. I do not even want to tell anyone honestly. And I think its part of my issues. (SOTS)
I wasn't judging him and I've been there with getting pregnant while using condoms (one of my miscarriages). I am really happy for him, and actually jealous.

I would love to have more kids, but I have had my own pregnancy issues and such. I'm also amazed and impressed by those that can afford the kids at such a young age.
October 18th, 2012, 05:22 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I think people are rude to women in general. I am heavy in the middle section, but nowhere else. I have been asked a million times if I am pregnant, when I am due, blah blah blah. It actually hasn't happened since I've had Brynlee, but it has happened plenty of times since college. It's hard being a woman.

Since we're buying a house, I said something about when we have another and FIL about flipped out. He was telling us that it's too soon, blah. I said that we don't even plan to try until at least next August. Brynlee will be 2 years old by then. Even if we got pregnant right away, she'd be almost 3 by the time the baby was born. DH is 29, his brother is 27, and his sister is turning 26 in two months. So his Dad has no room to talk about closely spaced siblings and I don't think 2-3 years is THAT "closely spaced".

*rolls eyes* Sorry to hijack that. I just get frustrated with people who say dumb comments.
~Rae~ likes this.

October 18th, 2012, 06:04 AM
Mama.Angie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yeah, RUDE. I don't see how anyone's personal family plans are anyone but your own personal family's business.
October 18th, 2012, 07:18 AM
Happy Mommy
it probably jsut came out before they had a chance to stop it. I know a co-worker who is a friend of mine, found out she was expecting when her baby was around 3-4 months old. I was the only one ot smile and say 'YAY a new baby congrats!!' everyone else was just 'wow'
October 18th, 2012, 07:45 AM
MommytoaMiracle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ignore people! You have a right to enjoy your pregnancy, regardless of your 1st childs age!

People are so ignorant! lol
October 18th, 2012, 08:14 AM
mccaroline's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well I for one am jealous of all you with kids who are 18-24 months apart. That's what we had wanted for our family, instead they are 3.5-4 years apart.

It isn't any better by the way, we would comments like "aren't you ever going to have any more?" and "you're not going to have an only child are you?", then when I was pregnant again we got "well it's about time" and "you finally figured out how it works". People are just rude.

October 18th, 2012, 08:24 AM
tricia_16_'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to tricia_16_
I'm sorry people are so stupid and inconsiderate, and that it has you down.

This pregnancy TOTALLY wasn't planned, so I was the one making all these jokes to people when we told them lol

The only comment I ever got that bothered me was from my one friend who said, "You know if you don't want to have another baby you don't HAVE to have it." I know she was just trying to be supportive and let me know my choices, but it still irked me.

I agree with the other ladies though - don't let it keep you down. It is YOUR choice to have this baby and anybody who doesn't agree with it can stuff it!
October 18th, 2012, 01:35 PM
I'm not really that down, but it reinforces why I didn't want to tell anyone at work until I was 9 months pregnant. haha. I sometimes forget how rude and stupid people can be and then it takes me by surprise when they say things like this.

You all are so nice, reading this makes me feel better. I am just a bit overwhelmed with this pregnancy because it took us 2 years to conceive N and only 2 months to conceive new baby. We were trying but honestly, I thought we would have to do the infertility stuff again. I am happy that it happened naturally without all the stress and expense.

I'm glad people are happy for me! yay JM!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search