Questions For church going mommies..

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By rancherandcitygal
  • 1 Post By maybethistime
  • 1 Post By SkyBaby

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 29th, 2012, 10:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I really want Lily to be happy in the nursery, but really don't want to leave her because she just screams and the nursery workers come get me anyways. I don't get a whole lot out of church spiritually speaking because I'm so busy trying to take care of her and keep her happy and entertained. There is a mothers room with the sermon piped in where I take her to play if she is being too squirmy and noisy. I still only listen with half my brain because she still wants to get into everything. I guess I suck at multitasking lol. Anyways, I want her to be happy in the nursery so I can focus on the sermon.

What I tried today during Bible study sort of worked and was certainly the most successful attempt, but she still screamed for several minutes. I don't want this being a traumatic experience for her and her to end up just hating the nursery and refusing to go as she gets into toddlerhood.

Advice please?

In loving memory of our angel baby, with us for 4 weeks. Baby went to be with God July 24th, 2009.

October 30th, 2012, 01:25 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to rancherandcitygal
I personally would just keep dropping her off. I have been a worker in nursery care before. It will get better over time!! It will also help if you could have the same worker take her each time.

October 30th, 2012, 07:56 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by rancherandcitygal View Post
I personally would just keep dropping her off. I have been a worker in nursery care before. It will get better over time!! It will also help if you could have the same worker take her each time.
There is always the same lady there every Sunday and during Bible study. When I walk in with her, the lady that works there gives us this funny look like "oh great here we go". :/ They know she just cries and freaks out. They usually give up and come get me. I will definitely keep trying though.

In loving memory of our angel baby, with us for 4 weeks. Baby went to be with God July 24th, 2009.

October 30th, 2012, 12:16 PM
nartist's Avatar baby2
it sounds like the nursery worker isnt helping the situation at all! if she is expecting it and already giving the vibe of here we go again then lilly is probably picking up on that and it def. wont help. maybe try talking to the worker and ask her if she could try a different approach when you arrive. and also, let her know that if she keeps bringing her to you that lilly knows what to do to get back to you.she knows if she cries and freaks out then she will see mommy, duh babies are smart! i would be mad at the lady. good luck!

Thanks KILIKI for my siggy!
October 30th, 2012, 12:37 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by nartist View Post
it sounds like the nursery worker isnt helping the situation at all! if she is expecting it and already giving the vibe of here we go again then lilly is probably picking up on that and it def. wont help. maybe try talking to the worker and ask her if she could try a different approach when you arrive. and also, let her know that if she keeps bringing her to you that lilly knows what to do to get back to you.she knows if she cries and freaks out then she will see mommy, duh babies are smart! i would be mad at the lady. good luck!
I am a little annoyed, but at the same time I can understand why they don't want a constantly crying baby. Lily might get the other little ones going, too. Lily is definitely a smart baby. She also has a bad case of stranger danger. We will learn though. She is getting to be more independent and wanting to play on the floor more and not be held all the time. I think she was just really super tired. It was the bad combination of being tired and being in a place that is unfamiliar to her.

October 30th, 2012, 01:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to rancherandcitygal
Yeah that lady doesn't sound like she is helping at all..... Maybe try setting up a plan of Ok I'm going to leave her for 20min, then longer as Lilly likes it more. Maybe having an end point would help the worker.... dunno a thought.

I've just always started with them really young too.....
nartist likes this.

October 30th, 2012, 01:40 PM
Veteran
I have the same problem with my Lily (and my other 3 when they were little as well). I think the main problem for me is my babies know that it upsets me to leave them so they pick up on that. Have you been at that church for a long time? I would not feel comfortable leaving my baby with someone that has the attitude you described. Our nursery lady tries whatever you are comfortable with. Lately though, there are so many babies and kids, I don't leave mine because there's not enough eyes to watch them. I've seen babies getting hit by older toddlers so I just keep my kids with me. What if you try bringing quiet toys she can sit and play with? Or scheduling naps during that time?
October 30th, 2012, 06:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by rancherandcitygal View Post
Yeah that lady doesn't sound like she is helping at all..... Maybe try setting up a plan of Ok I'm going to leave her for 20min, then longer as Lilly likes it more. Maybe having an end point would help the worker.... dunno a thought.

I've just always started with them really young too.....
That's a good idea. I may give that a try after I talk to the nursery worker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamato4andc View Post
I have the same problem with my Lily (and my other 3 when they were little as well). I think the main problem for me is my babies know that it upsets me to leave them so they pick up on that. Have you been at that church for a long time? I would not feel comfortable leaving my baby with someone that has the attitude you described. Our nursery lady tries whatever you are comfortable with. Lately though, there are so many babies and kids, I don't leave mine because there's not enough eyes to watch them. I've seen babies getting hit by older toddlers so I just keep my kids with me. What if you try bringing quiet toys she can sit and play with? Or scheduling naps during that time?
Well I'm not sure the nursery worker is annoyed.. maybe that wasnt the right word to use on my part..when she sees us coming. I think Lily's constant crying just kind of intimidates the lady maybe? At least she knows what Lily wants. She just tells me Lily wants her mommy. I think she gives up too easily with Lily. Another woman who goes to the bible study has said something similar after her seeing the nursery worker with Lily.

There are like 4-5 babies (18 months and younger) in there and about 3-4 older toddlers. About 8-9 children most days. With only two ladies there, I'm not sure that's enough adult presence to keep a good eye on each of the little ones. The nursery does appear to be well baby proofed though. Baby gates, a good sign in/out system, good safety and sanitation procedures in place for cleaning toys and other baby gear. Yeah they are pretty good in that aspect of child care.

Lily is starting to get to the point where she is wanting to be down on the floor playing and not just content to sit on my lap with a toy. I'm starting to think just taking her to the mother's room and myself staying there with her is the best option. I'm not sure it's a good idea to leave her with a woman who is clearly uncomfortable with upset babies.

October 31st, 2012, 03:59 PM
promises1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Luckily Jordan does really well going into the nursey but with DD we waited until she was over a year old to start. It was too late for us. She would get so upset that I ended up sitting in the nursery every sunday. Over time she did get better when I kept putting her in there.
Good luck!!

October 31st, 2012, 04:05 PM
Veteran
I can understand starting young but for hubby and I, we wanted them to get used to sitting quiet when they needed to be. And for the most part, since we did that, our kids can sit through the service with no problems. That usually starts at age 1 1/2-2 for our kids. I totally understand the frustration before then. Hubby has even asked me why I go when I'm not getting anything out of it. I told him right now it's about our other kids. Good luck mama!
October 31st, 2012, 08:45 PM
maybethistime's Avatar Super Mommy
My oldest got stranger anxiety bad just after his 1st birthday. And he was smart too so there was no tricking him or distracting him. What worked for me was that I started staying with him in the nursery, then I would leave for small portions of time. Then I lengthened those times and eventually he walked right in and didn't look back. I personally think that its important that a parent doesnt "sneak" away, because then the child never knows what to expect. My approach took some time, but after we got through those few months, he's never looked back and is totally comfortable being away from me. Good luck!
mamato4andc likes this.
2009/09/07 - Angel #1
2010/05/18 - Angel #2
DS born 2011
Baby #3 EDD March 3, 2014

October 31st, 2012, 10:55 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by maybethistime View Post
My oldest got stranger anxiety bad just after his 1st birthday. And he was smart too so there was no tricking him or distracting him. What worked for me was that I started staying with him in the nursery, then I would leave for small portions of time. Then I lengthened those times and eventually he walked right in and didn't look back. I personally think that its important that a parent doesnt "sneak" away, because then the child never knows what to expect. My approach took some time, but after we got through those few months, he's never looked back and is totally comfortable being away from me. Good luck!
That's a good point about not sneaking away. I think I'll try your method. Might take a while, but I'm patient.
maybethistime likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search