Grocery shopping questions

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 9th, 2012, 06:42 AM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
Do you try to shop alone or with kids?
Do you make a list or can you remember what you need in your head?
If you make a list, is it based on a meal plan?
What are your biggest impulse buys?
November 9th, 2012, 06:45 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Do you try to shop alone or with kids? We usually shop together on the weekend so it's usually the 3 of us. If I go after school, I always pick Brynlee up and take her with me because I don't want to drive back across town to her daycare. She's never a problem in stores though.
Do you make a list or can you remember what you need in your head? If it's just a few things, I just remember what I need. If I am buying specific things for meals for the whole week then I make a list.
If you make a list, is it based on a meal plan? Usually. I decide what we're having all week and then I buy what we need.
What are your biggest impulse buys? Um. To be honest...toddler clothes! I am bad about browsing through the cute clothes at Wal-Mart, especially the mix 'n match outfits and holiday outfits, and cute little pjs!

November 9th, 2012, 07:03 AM
Mama.Angie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Do you try to shop alone or with kids? I try to go alone. TRY. Doesn't always happen.

Do you make a list or can you remember what you need in your head? Lately I write a list.

If you make a list, is it based on a meal plan? Really loose meal plans.

What are your biggest impulse buys? Chocolate.
November 9th, 2012, 07:03 AM
Happy Mommy
Do you try to shop alone or with kids?
both, big trips I try to do alone, but I do small trips with them

Do you make a list or can you remember what you need in your head?
both as well. I make a list for things I need to stock up on, then I always seem to remeber more once I"m there

If you make a list, is it based on a meal plan?
sort of... I have some ideas of what I want to make, butnothing written in stone

What are your biggest impulse buys?

pumpkin pie
November 9th, 2012, 07:14 AM
tricia_16_'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to tricia_16_
Do you try to shop alone or with kids? We usually go as a family, so the three of us. If I can't go, DH goes and takes Kaylee. When the new baby comes... we will see lol
Do you make a list or can you remember what you need in your head? If I am there we don't need a list. If DH goes with Kaylee, I will text him a list so he doesn't forget the staples
If you make a list, is it based on a meal plan? We just make sure we buy enough meat to do us the week. Not specific things, but just enough meals.
What are your biggest impulse buys? Snacks for Kaylee. I always worry she gets the same things over and over, so I try to buy new things to see if she likes them so we can mix it up a little bit. There are also these Crispy Crunch milkshakes that I LOVE, and when they go on sale I will buy 10 of them So that is sometimes $10 we spend on groceries without ever knowing it's coming when we walk into the store haha
November 9th, 2012, 08:13 AM
MommytoaMiracle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Do you try to shop alone or with kids? I usually take her with me, which ends up being a pain, so with Bryce coming soon & her hating the store, I hope to start leaving them with DH & going alone on the weekends.

Do you make a list or can you remember what you need in your head? I make a list. I usually do a big shopping trip that lasts us two weeks, so I need a list so I don't forget anything.

If you make a list, is it based on a meal plan? For the most part, yes. I get all our staples (Cereal, oatmeal, lunch meat, bread, eggs, snacks, etc) & I also get extra meat so if we change our mind on meals, we don't have to go to the store.

What are your biggest impulse buys? The kid section & the frozen section.
November 9th, 2012, 09:06 AM
Dixana's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Do you try to shop alone or with kids? Shop alone? yeah freakin right

Do you make a list or can you remember what you need in your head? I have a list that is kept on the fridge of things we run out of and another list I make of sales/coupons/admatch deals so we can get the best prices

If you make a list, is it based on a meal plan? No I make my meal plans (most of the time anyway) based on what's on sale or what I can get the best deal on. Meat prices are obscene.

What are your biggest impulse buys? It depends on the day and if I am hungry....usually junk food

Thanks to the awesome Rachel for my siggy!

November 9th, 2012, 09:29 AM
mccaroline's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Do you try to shop alone or with kids? Generally with the kids and occationally a daycare kid too. I'd love to shop alone what a treat that would be!

Do you make a list or can you remember what you need in your head? List, always a list, when I think I can run to the store and just grab what I need without a list I always forget half of it.

If you make a list, is it based on a meal plan? I write down all the essentials first then add what I need for specific meals I'm making.

What are your biggest impulse buys? Clearance meat for the freeze. Anything that is on sale and I can bring home and freeze for a late meal always seems to make its way into my cart and is never on the list.

November 9th, 2012, 10:19 AM
~Rae~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Do you try to shop alone or with kids? Alone

Do you make a list or can you remember what you need in your head? No list. I go down all aisles & pull what I need.

If you make a list, is it based on a meal plan? I don't make a list but I plan meals based on materials on hand. I try not to let anything go bad, so we use almost everything very week. Monday is my shopping day & by them, the pantry & refrigerator are almost completely empty.
What are your biggest impulse buys? Snacks. Toys for the kids. Hair bows.

November 9th, 2012, 05:46 PM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
I try to shop alone, but sometimes, as a treat, I'll take a couple. I try to avoid it though.

I make lists, I rarely remember to bring them. Usually I can remember what I need.

I do meal plans, but it's easy because I make the same basic things over and over. If I make something new, then I have to have a list.

Impulse buys are usually things that are on sale and I just can't live without. That's why grocery shopping at Wal-mart is a bad idea for me.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
November 9th, 2012, 06:49 PM
~*Nicole*~'s Avatar Nicole
I almost always have at least 2 kids with me when I shop.

I make a list according to where I'll be shopping, going from aisle to aisle otherwise I end up forgetting half of what I need.

I would meal plan, but even when I do I don't follow it, so I just buy what I know we'll eat

My impulse buys depend on where I am, but a big one for me is mascara! And kids clothes

siggy made by Meredithh90!!!

November 9th, 2012, 10:16 PM
Do you try to shop alone or with kids?] If it's our big shopping trip we all go, but if we need only a few items one of us goes alone or with one kid.

Do you make a list or can you remember what you need in your head? Sometimes I try to make a list and other times we just wing it.

If you make a list, is it based on a meal plan? Usually yes.

What are your biggest impulse buys? Snacks and make-up.
November 9th, 2012, 10:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Do you try to shop alone or with kids? I usually go when Chuck is in school on Friday mornings and take Lew with me.
Do you make a list or can you remember what you need in your head? LIST
If you make a list, is it based on a meal plan? I go through the flyers for 3 different grocery stores and match up with my coupons. Then I go to all three stores. Thankfully they are all in a row not too far from where I live.
What are your biggest impulse buys? The only impulse buys I make are alcohol.

Lew, 1, DSD Lauren, 18, and Chuck, 4
November 10th, 2012, 05:43 PM
wingqueen26's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Do you try to shop alone or with kids? Alone!
Do you make a list or can you remember what you need in your head? I make a list, otherwise I will forget one or two things (sleep deprived these days)
If you make a list, is it based on a meal plan? yes
What are your biggest impulse buys? Anything for Adele is usually impulse especially seasonal plastic dinner plates. I am a huge sucker for these.

thank u quantum leap for my siggy

November 10th, 2012, 08:09 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've been shopping alone, usually while the kids are in preschool and kindergarten and Joey is at home with the sitter. I make a list in notes on the iphone during the week and run off that. I don't do a meal plan and my biggest impulse buys are at Costco for kids' xmas gifts
November 12th, 2012, 05:52 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Do you try to shop alone or with kids? I try to go alone but don't mind having Tristan. He's a pretty good shopper

Do you make a list or can you remember what you need in your head? I just try to remember in my head but if it's something I know I'll forget then I write it down

What are your biggest impulse buys? I would say anything baby. I always have to look in the baby section even when I don't need anything and always end up buying either clothes or shoes or something he probably didn't need.

Thank you babydoll213 for my siggy!
November 12th, 2012, 05:11 PM
irishblessing's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Do you try to shop alone or with kids? Usually with the kids
Do you make a list or can you remember what you need in your head? I can usually remember but if there are things that aren't on our usual list then I write them down.
If you make a list, is it based on a meal plan? Yes
What are your biggest impulse buys? Kids clothes, and apple pie.

Thank you Vicki for my new siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search