Measuring success

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By *Sharon*

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 12th, 2012, 07:29 PM
*Rosie*'s Avatar Blessed
I was thinking about how I'd like my children to be successful.... but what exactly is success? Contentment? A glowing career? Academic achievement? Sports awards?

I'm a SAHM - is that success?

I personally believe that if you are doing something that is valuable to you, then you are successful. My family is very important to me, and I'm happy to be up to my eyes in pee, poop, vomit, etc as long as my family and I are happy.

I would love my children to find something that they deem as valuable, and work at that.

As a side note, I'm sure we all know people that boast about their children... e.g. my aunt tells everyone that her daughter earns so much money that she only needs to work part-time. I don't want to be like that.

How do you measure success?
Do you think you'll guide your children into careers that have high reputations? e.g. doctor, dentist, etc

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

November 13th, 2012, 05:07 AM
*Sharon*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hmmm.....I want my children to go up to be well-functioning, happy adults. I do encourage a college-degree pretty heavily. But if they didn't get one, but could still support themselves and their family I think that is fine as well.

I have a college degree and do not feel I am wasting it whatsoever to be a SAHM. Children are only small for such a short period of time I'm glad to be home with them. Plus we homeschool.

I actively talk to my children about capitalism and wanting more/trying to keep up with the Joneses. I do not want my children to be materialistic now or when they are older. We talk about what really matters. Family, happiness, being happy with what you have, being thankful, and a love of life long learning. And looking for qualities in people...not so much what they have and what they look like.

Being a "good" person has absolutely nothing to do with money/possesions. And I de-emphasis material things purposefully. We still dress nicely and have plenty of things....but I do not be our focus on that. I don't want to teach my children that is the instrument by which we measure ourselves or others.
michelle_m likes this.

Sharon, wife to Noah; mom to Belle (12.5), Ryllan (10), Finn (6), and Zane (3).

November 13th, 2012, 04:53 PM
ReaganorDean's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I could piggyback almost entirely off what Sharon just said. I'm not a SAHM. I work full-time, and everyday I wish I only worked part-time...but such is life. My biggest thing is that Reagan and any other children I may have are self sufficient and happy. If Reagan chooses to be a SAHM by choice, or not go to college, I'm fine with that, as long as she makes a career somehow for herself...trade school, or whatnot...I want her to have options, as many of them as possible, so she can make an informed decision about her future and what will make her happy.

I also discourage materialistic tendencies.

I think self-sufficiency is the biggest gift parents can give their children....I've seen way too many adults being entirely dependent on their parents WAY too long. It makes me wonder what happens in the unfortunate circumstance when the parents eventually pass away...I also intend on making it a point to not treat the oldest and youngest child differently when it comes to this....Just a personal beef of mine.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search