Holidays

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Julka

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 15th, 2012, 04:59 AM
sareymac's Avatar Mommy to Gary & Adalyn
What do you do for the holidays?
Where do you celebrate?
Will you take LO to see Santa this year?
Have you bought any Christmas presents yet(if you celebrate)?
Any special traditions you started or will start?

November 15th, 2012, 05:05 AM
Julka
We celebrate Christmas both in the traditional and religious way. We do Santa, presents, tree, etc. but we also go to Church and teach our kids about the true meaning of Christmas.

Where do you celebrate?
Christmas eve with DH's family, it's a traditional Polish dinner and we bring gifts for all the little cousins and exchange them. Christmas morning we do at home where the kids open presents that Santa left them overnight. We go to Church on Christmas day, too.

We'll see. Kinda skipped it last year. Maybe!

Yes, I bought some presents. Probably about 50% done shopping.

Well, we were doing the 'open new pj's on Christmas eve' deal, but this year I kinda bought them the matching pj's early (my siggy) to do the Christmas card, so I kinda messed that up. They definitely will leave cookies & milk for Santa and carrots for the reindeer, though.
sareymac likes this.
November 15th, 2012, 05:42 AM
sareymac's Avatar Mommy to Gary & Adalyn
We also do Christmas

Where do you celebrate?
Christmas Eve usually is with my side of the family but the way things are now probably wont be. Thats okay. Christmas day we have brunch at our house, with the inlaws only. And then we spend Christmas day with them.

Yes we are def planning on it!

Yup we are dangerously close to done yay!

My aunt drops off pajamas (from santas elf?) on the porch lol and he gets to wear them Christmas eve. . . Other than that we are just starting our family so we are working on it!

November 15th, 2012, 10:35 AM
ratladee's Avatar Madison Marie, My Sweet P
What do you do for the holidays? Well until I was married I flew to Arizona to be with my mom and brothers and we did Christmas there. Last year when Pea was 2 weeks old we drove to San Antonio and did Christmas with his family. That was a little stressful for me if you remember. We will be driving to San Antonio on the 22nd and staying a week
Where do you celebrate? With Hubby's family. It's only 800 miles away versus my family is 1200 miles away so we drive to hubby's because we'd have to fly to AZ.
Will you take LO to see Santa this year?For sure!
Have you bought any Christmas presents yet(if you celebrate)? I think I have just bought birthday presents because we won't even be here for Christmas so I may as well just buy a few in Texas and then let the rest of the family spoil Pea. (If they even remember her. :-/)
Any special traditions you started or will start? I like the idea about pjs! I never knew that one. When I was little I was allowed to open one present on Christmas Eve. I want to go to a church thing too so Pea knows what Christmas is about. We aren't big at church here, mainly because we can't find something that works for us.

November 15th, 2012, 11:13 AM
Snookums's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Traditional Santa, tree, etc.

Where do you celebrate?
Well we usually do Christmas morning at home, breakfast at in-laws, lunch at my parents, home for nap and then alternate dinners (this year is supposed to be dinner at my inlaws). I'm trying to switch my family over to Boxing Day so it's not so rushed...

Will you take LO to see Santa this year? He saw Santa at my work kids Christmas party on Sunday (he did great!) not sure that we'll do more than that - my 3yo was terrified of him!

Have you bought any Christmas presents yet(if you celebrate)? Yes! I have to make a list but I will finish the kids to tomorrow and then just have adults to do (so about 50% done - which is AWESOME for us!)

Any special traditions you started or will start? We do a Christmas Eve box. Inside is Christmas Eve Jammie's, a new Christmas movie to watch or Christmas story to read.
Got the idea from a friend, she also includes stuff for breakfast - specialty coffee for the parents, sugary cereal for the kids, etc.)
This will be the first year that we'll do cookies for Santa too

November 15th, 2012, 01:35 PM
Platinum Supermommy
What do you do for the holidays? We do nothing with DH's family so we split the holidays between my mom and my dad's families. Thanksgiving with one, Christmas eve at the other. This year we will be at my dad's family on Christmas eve. Christmas late morning we will go to my parent's house for brunch and "big ***** shrimp". (We eat shrimp cocktail and have cocktails all afternoon and random family pops in.)

Where do you celebrate? Oh, see above! lol

Will you take LO to see Santa this year? We probably will. We did not last year because Stella is terrified of him, but she wants to give it a shot this year, so we will take both kiddos.

Have you bought any Christmas presents yet(if you celebrate)? I have bought ornaments for the kids. We are getting them a trip and a museum membership so we do not have a lot to buy. We have started buying wipes since there was a good sale and Duncan will be getting diapers and wipes from Santa.

Any special traditions you started or will start? On Christmas Eve we give the kids new jammies and an ornament that they can hang on the tree. We will keep that going.

November 19th, 2012, 01:20 PM
Super Mommy
What do you do for the holidays? We'll probably eat some traditional food for Chanukah on the 8th, but not light the menorah. My husband doesn't really embrace the Jewish part of his family's religious background... We'll be going to my family on Christmas day and then, a few days later, we'll celebrate what my MIL calls "Clergy Christmas" - as a minister, she spends most of Christmas Eve and Christmas at church, so she doesn't like to celebrate that day. Works great for us!
Where do you celebrate? Christmas is at my Aunt's house each year, and we're going to invite my MIL and FIL to us this year afterwards.
Will you take LO to see Santa this year? Definitely!
Have you bought any Christmas presents yet(if you celebrate)? We are pretty much done shopping for Anna - lots of toys at some great consignment sales that look brand-new. We still have some giftcards to buy for family members though.
Any special traditions you started or will start? We haven't really thought about that yet. I am eager to read everyone else's!
November 20th, 2012, 06:57 PM
Lorena26's Avatar ♥ Gio's Mommy ♥
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julka View Post
Well, we were doing the 'open new pj's on Christmas eve' deal...
I totally stole this idea from you

What do you do for the holidays? Decorate outside, put up a tree, stockings, etc.
Where do you celebrate? Well this is our 2nd year in the house here in FL but last year we didn't do anything cuz Gio was 5 days old, but normally we'd go to my aunts house, the in-laws and my dad's when were in NY...but this year we'll have family over our house
Will you take LO to see Santa this year? Yes!!! I'm planning on going soon!!!
Have you bought any Christmas presents yet(if you celebrate)? HAHAH no, DH said he wanted to see what the black friday deals are first.
Any special traditions you started or will start? I'm going to do the Christmas PJ's in the stocking with other small things that will be opened on christmas eve, cookies for santa (that we'll make on christmas eve), and we'll continue what i grew up with, which is santa drops off a sack of presents on christmas eve with 1 present per person and that's all i can think of at the moment

November 28th, 2012, 07:58 PM
mBABYe's Avatar ♥ Life with BOYS ♥
What do you do for the holidays? Party, open presents, see family & friends, travel... etc...

Where do you celebrate? Christmas Eve w hubs family. Christmas morning at home. Christmas day at my Dads. & the weekend after Christmas at my brothers in DC till New Years

Will you take LO to see Santa this year? Maaaaybee. We saw him at Sea World in the "North Pole" last week but the line was soooooo long. I told the elf to tell my son (4) that he would meet him at the mall. hahahaa. Worked like a charm!

Have you bought any Christmas presents yet? Not a one. LOL! I've been waayyyy too busy planning this party and buying a bajillion things for it that Christmas will have to wait till next week.

Any special traditions you started or will start? No pjs here. LOL. Odd man out it seems. No elf on the shelf either. We do just the baked cookies on Christmas Eve & a carrot for the reindeer. One gift that night. Everything else is the next day. Oh.. & the kiddo and I put up the ornaments together in Santa hats and really loud Christmas music we put funny socks on this year so we could slide around and dance on the hardwood while we hung ornaments. Good times. ♥

Wife since 2004. ♥ Mom since 2008.

♥ TTC #1: 4 yrs, 2 months ♥ TTC #2: 1 yr, 5 months ♥ #3: Surprise twins lost at 7 & 10 weeks.

November 29th, 2012, 05:02 AM
D@mnedYankee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We're in a transition period right now religiously in our home so as far as the sacred aspect of the Holidays we're figuring that one out as we go. As for the secular aspect of it we do the whole santa, tree, stockings and way too much glitter thing

Where do you celebrate?

Home, Christmas eve I may take DD to Midnight Mass (if we can find one near us) and Christmas day will be spent around the house. I cook a big dinner and we invite our friends and "strays" from DH's command (Strays=single guys or newly married couples with out kids who can't go to their parents for the holidays and have the day off. No one should be alone on a holiday )

Yup, he is coming to our Church's big pre holiday thing next week (as long as I can find someone to wear the suit!!!)

yup I just have the stockings to buy

We have always done the new PJs on Christmas Eve thing with DD so we'll keep up with that. I want to start incorporating some Yule traditions into our Christmas season but IDK what yet and I want to start doing Festa dei sette pesci (Feast of the 7 fishes, its a traditional Italian Christmas Eve seafood dinner) but DH isnt into it his favorite seafood dish is fish sticks :/

Thanks Julia for the great siggy! <3

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search