Transitioning to whole milk

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By sareymac
  • 2 Post By Julka
  • 2 Post By Flukie
  • 1 Post By mBABYe

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 15th, 2012, 08:45 AM
ratladee's Avatar Madison Marie, My Sweet P
Daycare asked me today if I would like them to start transitioning her to whole milk now or when she is officially 12 months old. I told them to wait until I thought about it more because I haven't thought about it at all. I really don't know how so I thought I'd ask my trusted BTDT friends here How would you go about it?

November 15th, 2012, 08:58 AM
Loves Kate!
Katelyn is turning 1 on Monday and I had planned to start transitioning her before that but we haven't. Katelyn doesn't eat real well so I am scared to switch because I feel like she is still getting most of her nutrition from the formula. I plan on asking her doctor what we should do.

Born 11/19/11
November 15th, 2012, 09:52 AM
sareymac's Avatar Mommy to Gary & Adalyn
Im not a BTDT but I asked my sitter what she did and she started transitioning her kids during the 11th month like an ounce to 5 of formula or whatever and she said by the middle of 11 months they were over. so we started doing Gary too when he turned 11 months and as much as everyone is going to disagree with me, he is fully to milk now.
Julka, Snookums and Meg1227 like this.

November 15th, 2012, 10:08 AM
Julka
Quote:
Originally Posted by sareymac View Post
so we started doing Gary too when he turned 11 months and as much as everyone is going to disagree with me, he is fully to milk now.
Well, I am going to agree

We did the same thing. I started transitioning all my kids gradually at 11 months so by the time they are 12 months, they are fully on whole milk. With Sebastian, I just ended my last can of formula and have no intention of buying any more cans. So I can say he's fully on whole milk now too.

You start with a bottle and make about 75% formula (or breast milk? < no experience with that), and add 25% whole milk. Make the whole milk the same temperature as the formula, like Sebastian is used to drinking it at room temperature, so I warm up the whole milk for 25sec in the microwave before mixing them. After a week, if she does great, you do 50/50... then 25% formula and 75% whole milk. Then fully whole milk from then on.

Also.. Sebastian is not picky with food. He eats meat, veggies, fruit, cheese, yogurts.. So I am not concerned about the nutrition part, but every baby is different.
Snookums and mBABYe like this.
November 15th, 2012, 10:26 AM
Pea is a great eater as well so I'm not worried either. I'd LOVE to not buy formula anymore. I spent almost 80 bucks for 4 refills at target and that was with a coupon!! I have half of this refill and another refill left so maybe if I do start now I won't have to buy anymore too. So I think I will give them the go ahead on starting the transition... I will just look for adverse reactions to it. I guess? What are things I should look for to see if she's ok or not? I heard sometimes babies get ear infections from milk or start getting sick. I don't know really.

November 15th, 2012, 11:01 AM
Snookums's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I do it by ounces. Nathan drinks 6oz bottles, so I first did 5oz formula and 1oz milk, then 2 and 4. He's at 3oz formula and 3oz milk now. I don't warm up the milk, but I add so gradually I think it helps him get used to the cooler temps of the milk (1oz of milk in 5oz of formula isn't that cool, but 3oz will be a bit more colder) I have one can of formula left that I'll open tonight and I won't be buying anymore.
He also is a great eater so I'm lucky that I don't have to worry too much that way.

November 15th, 2012, 01:18 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We started transitioning Dunc about 2 weeks ago. He gets half formula and half milk at this point.

November 15th, 2012, 04:29 PM
sugarloafbaby's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was planning on introducing milk at one year, but I might extend that a little bit. Dahlia is not a very good eater, she is really picky, so I would like to keep her on breastmilk for a little longer. Even when I do introduce milk to her, I will still be breastfeeding some for a while. My older daughter started milk when she was 10.5 months old out of necessity - I was pregnant, my milk was drying up and she refused all formula and bottles. She seemed to do ok with it, but she did end up developing a sensitivity that took us a while to figure out. Today, she only gets milk occasionally and does much better. I'm hoping to try and avoid the same issue this time around by delaying it a bit longer.

Thank you .:Shortcake:. for my siggy!

November 16th, 2012, 11:31 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Robbie is 10 months old, and according to my ex they just started giving him hole milk, and he seems to be doing great on it. I was always told to wait till a yr old, but as long as they can handle it then its fine.

November 17th, 2012, 08:49 PM
Well we started her on her portions of milk mixed in with her formula. So far so good I think she's teething though, with her difficulty getting to sleep tonight and the fact she's turned into a darn beaver... I don't think there will be any crib left by the time it goes to a toddler bed... I wish I would have known about those crib guards BEFORE she ruined her crib. >.<

November 18th, 2012, 06:58 PM
Veteran
Nope, she will be getting momma's milk until she's at least 2

November 19th, 2012, 01:13 PM
Super Mommy
This has been helpful to read everyone's experience - I think we're ready to start transitioning at this point too. She already steals the bottle of my best friend's baby which is whole milk and sneaks drinks from that... Lol. I think it's time.
Julka and sareymac like this.
November 28th, 2012, 07:07 PM
mBABYe's Avatar ♥ Life with BOYS ♥
I'm a little late to the game here. Just wanted to add my $0.02

We did the exact same as Julia described except that we didn't warm the milk. When he transitioned from formula to milk he also transitioned from warm to cold. LOL. Poor kid doesn't know what's going on but he could care less. HAHA. He did great!
Snookums likes this.

Wife since 2004. ♥ Mom since 2008.

♥ TTC #1: 4 yrs, 2 months ♥ TTC #2: 1 yr, 5 months ♥ #3: Surprise twins lost at 7 & 10 weeks.

November 29th, 2012, 05:08 AM
D@mnedYankee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We did the mix too. Joe is completely on whole milk now and is doing well. What you need to look for are the obvious signs of allergies (hives, anaphylactic reactions etc) as well as digestive issues (runny poo, gas, bloating, stomach pain). If there is a digestive issue to milk but not to milk products then there is a chance for lactose intolerance.

Thanks Julia for the great siggy! <3
November 29th, 2012, 09:01 PM
So far she seems good! She's had a non stop runny nose since we started but I can't tell if it's coincidental or not.

November 30th, 2012, 04:38 AM
D@mnedYankee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This time of year I would probably assume its just a coincidence...

Thanks Julia for the great siggy! <3
November 30th, 2012, 02:40 PM
jmills1129's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I will not be transitioning at all, she will continue to breastfeed, and if we do give ger milk, it will not be cows milk...i have dairy problems, and i think she is going to as well, since when i eat yogurt she gets a reaction...

9w4d, June, 16 2013
Missing My Angel baby

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search