Do you have a hitter?

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Rachel

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 18th, 2012, 02:17 PM
~Rae~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I do. How do they pick that up? We don't spank him, yet he hits us sometimes when he gets upset. I have also seen him swat toys or other inanimate objects when they don't "obey."
I talked to the pedi about it & her theory is that they use it as an attention seeking tool. She thinks he saw our reaction to his hitting us the first time, saw he gained attention, so he continues to do so when he wants attention.
I guess that makes a little sense, but if that's the case, how do you stop it? It's not like our reaction to hitting is over the top. We tell him "no" firmly, grab his hand to keep him from swatting, & remove him from who (or what) he's hitting. Do we just ignore it so he's not feeding off reactions?
What's your theory?

November 18th, 2012, 02:30 PM
MommytoaMiracle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Savannah will hit us if she's really mad, but it's pretty rare. I just grab her hands & say "no maam, we do NOT hit Mommy!" Makes her even more mad but atleast she gets the message.
Personally, it's just persistence for us that helps. Every time she does it, we get onto her, so she knows it's bad & their are consequences every.single.time.
Although it is a phase, it's never okay to me for my 14 month to think it's acceptable to hit me.
November 18th, 2012, 02:41 PM
CoreenaC's Avatar Carter-Carter's Momma
Carter hits as well. Mostly when he's tired and wants to nurse or is hungry or really upset. He also hits toys and other objects.

We tell him "no, we don't hit mommy." If he does it again I sit him against the wall, tell him he's there for hitting mommy. He sits there, sometimes crying, sometimes quiet. When he's done he gets up, gives me a hug and then I usually try to out him to sleep.

I'm not sure where it came from, he has hit himself in the face a couple of times...
DS2-EDD 9/10/14
*Thank you so much *Kiliki* for the siggy!*
November 18th, 2012, 02:44 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Everett only does when he is attacking Kyle. They play and Everett gets him.

November 18th, 2012, 03:06 PM
tricia_16_'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to tricia_16_
I've seen Kaylee hit the dog, but she hasn't hit a person yet (to my knowledge). She throws stuff when she gets mad though; she's bad for that!
November 18th, 2012, 03:17 PM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
Keelan has hit, but I don't think he's done it in anger or frustration, yet. FWIW, I don't think it is at all related to whether or not a child is spanked or swatted in anyway. It's innate. Gabby bites, but she's never been bitten. It's just something they do.
irishblessing and ~Rae~ like this.
November 18th, 2012, 06:20 PM
mccaroline's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We don't have a hitter, we have a biter. I haven't found a good solution yet, I just keep telling him "No" every time he does it and removing him from the situation, sitting him down in an area by himself. I don't make him stay by himself, whenever he gets up and comes back to where he was playing is fine, but it discracts him for a minute.

Good luck!

November 18th, 2012, 08:22 PM
Ahari's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Finally something Zaden doesn't do but I'm sure it's a stage like biting

November 18th, 2012, 10:38 PM
First Timer!!!
i havent spanked roran ....... i have gave his thigh a tap .. but it had no force was for attention ... anyways roran always played the drums on my boobys so he is no stranger to hitting sadly i didnt think of this when he was playing the bongos ...........

either way i firmly say no and put him down ........ but he follow me and hits me astill its annoying he STILL doesnt get that i REALLY mean no ...

ive started putting him on time out .. only for one min ....... place him in his crib .............. before and after being in the crib i tell him in a few short words to describe what he did that i didnt like ..

but mostly he just goes back to what he was doing and doesnt care ... normally we go thru three time outs till he gets just so upset he cant remember what he was doing to begin with to do it again .....

either way im not sure if im doing the right thing since its so annoying for me and leaves him having to be in time fer hecka days ..... \

i dont see anyother way to do it at this point ....

seriously if anyone has suggestions pm me PLZ lol
November 19th, 2012, 04:28 AM
babi_lovin11's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to babi_lovin11
Carter hits and bites as well, I think its a phase some babies go threw. He doesn't do either very often anymore but we tell him very firmly "NO Carter, we do NOT bite/hit" Then I put him down and walk away and ignore him (which makes him REALLY mad) so after he has calmed down I take him back up and tell him that its not nice to hurt mommy. Seems to be working, he still hits when he is mad sometimes but the biting is gotten WAY better which was horrible for awhile there.
November 19th, 2012, 05:34 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Tristan hits but it's not out of anger. He usually just flings his arms around and if someone is in his way they get smacked.

Thank you babydoll213 for my siggy!
November 19th, 2012, 06:12 AM
joonzgurl's Avatar Proud mama of 2 girls
^This exactly! Avery "hits", but really it's because she having a tantrum or something or is upset and is flailing around and someone is in the way. I have decided to just ignore it.

Proud mama to:

Avery Elizabeth (08/27/2011) & Dawsyn Brielle (10/29/2013)
November 19th, 2012, 10:34 AM
irishblessing's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Dominic will hit and bite. For him it's not so much because he is mad or frustrated he does it because he knows he isn't supposed to and thinks it's funny to see people's reactions. He is getting better though.

Thank you Vicki for my new siggy!
November 21st, 2012, 06:26 AM
Mama.Angie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've never dealt with hitting, but I think you're handling it properly. Kairi is more of a shover. She shoves people out of the way when she's upset, and we pretty much do the "no, that's not how we behave" thing.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search