Black Friday

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 18th, 2012, 02:19 PM
~Rae~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Do you participate?

In what capacity (online, in-store only, camping out)?

If you don't, why not?

November 18th, 2012, 02:27 PM
MommytoaMiracle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Nope...Especially not this year because no way I'm putting my pregnant body out there for people to trample. lol

It's just not worth the sales to me..I would rather spend the extra money than deal with those mad crowds!
Ahari likes this.
November 18th, 2012, 02:34 PM
CoreenaC's Avatar Carter-Carter's Momma
I don't participate. I never have the money but hope to next year. This year we're focusing on debt and building an emergency fund.

I will probably participate online next year but may go in the afternoon to see what its all about, I've never been!
DS2-EDD 9/10/14
*Thank you so much *Kiliki* for the siggy!*
November 18th, 2012, 02:41 PM
First Time Mommy
Sometimes I buy things online, but don't go out of my way. Last year, we went to JCP on Black Friday because they had a photography deal going on and it was only on black friday.

Keeping Up With The Petrosians
November 18th, 2012, 02:45 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
We do! It's fun for us! We usually only go to 1 or 2 stores. Bring some hot coffee and enjoy our time!

November 18th, 2012, 03:20 PM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
No way, no how.
November 18th, 2012, 04:21 PM
Dixana's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We usually go every year, and by we I me. Though my mom went with me last year.
Not going this year because we're broke which kills me! I usually get our whole years supply of batteries for next to nothing. -sigh-
Oh well, next year!

Thanks to the awesome Rachel for my siggy!

November 18th, 2012, 04:34 PM
teacher.123's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Do you participate? NO, although this year I'm going out on Saturday for a new diaper bag. It's on sale all weekend.

If you don't, why not? Too many crowds. Too pregnant. We are going to cut down our Christmas tree on Black Friday.

November 18th, 2012, 06:15 PM
mccaroline's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
This, crazy as it seems, is on my bucket list. One year I'm going to cross the boarder for the whole Thanksgiving weekend and do the Black Friday thing, just for the experience.

November 18th, 2012, 07:01 PM
~*Nicole*~'s Avatar Nicole
No, never. I have worked retail and in a restaurant on black friday and DH has worked EVERY black friday since I have known him so I have seen just how awful it is for the employees. It sucks to not be able to spend that time with family or to have to cut time short in order to go to work in the middle of the night. DH's employer threatened that if they didn't make enough $$ this black friday (they open 12am on Thursday night), they would be opening @ 8pm next Thanksgiving I choose not to support these businesses that are taking moms and dads away from their children during the holidays.
MommytoaMiracle likes this.

siggy made by Meredithh90!!!

November 18th, 2012, 07:38 PM
I dont like that businessess are opening thurs night/midnight friday, etc but that just started in our area last year. In 2010 the earliest anything opened was 4am.
Friday is technically not a holiday though and a LOT of other people have to work on the actual holiday so retail workers get no pity from me. I worked every single Thankgiving, Christmas, New Years and Easter from the time I graduated until I quit working.
I will not go to the stores that open Thanksgiving day though. I think its pretty crappy.

November 18th, 2012, 08:08 PM
Ahari's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have in the past but I'm on bed rest this year and not trying to get trampled or go into labor! It can be fun though hopefully next year I'll be able to do it.

November 18th, 2012, 09:00 PM
~*Nicole*~'s Avatar Nicole
Quote:
Friday is technically not a holiday though and a LOT of other people have to work on the actual holiday so retail workers get no pity from me. I worked every single Thankgiving, Christmas, New Years and Easter from the time I graduated until I quit working.
Even after having to work those shifts, you still don't sympathize for people who work on the holidays (or the wee hours of the morning after a holiday?). It all just reminds me of that fb meme that says "Black Friday: Because only in America people trample others for sales exactly one day after being thankful for what they have" lol.

siggy made by Meredithh90!!!

November 18th, 2012, 09:22 PM
Mummy to great girls
Never heard of it

November 19th, 2012, 04:39 AM
babi_lovin11's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to babi_lovin11
I wish they had some amazing deals like that here in Canada, I would go if they did. Helps alot for us poor folk

I remember one time they had some great sales in wal-mart around Christmas time a 500 dollar tv was on sale for 200 and the crowds were INSAINE even for our small area, people would lie, shove and steal for even some 50 dollar savings lol.
November 19th, 2012, 05:31 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't do black friday just because it is so chaotic here. I know people who drive to other small towns and do their black friday shopping there with a lot less people to compete with but where I live people drive from different parts of the state just for the black friday deals. I just don't enjoy big crowds and would rather pay a little extra if it's something I want but more often then not the things on sale are not things I need anyways.

Now if there was a black friday sale for diapers thhat would be different...
MommytoaMiracle likes this.

Thank you babydoll213 for my siggy!
November 19th, 2012, 05:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Nicole*~ View Post
Even after having to work those shifts, you still don't sympathize for people who work on the holidays (or the wee hours of the morning after a holiday?)
Maybe a tiny little bit of empathy, but I look at it this way, don't want to work holidays? Better go work for the government or find an office job at a good company that's not open holidays/weekends. Are there any other people who have off Thursday and Friday? I can't think of any. I worked healthcare, customer service, manufacturing, retail and worked on holidays doing them all.

November 19th, 2012, 06:26 AM
~Rae~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yeah, I don't consider Friday after Thanksgiving a holiday. It's one of those situations where I see it as a bonus. Many people I know, including my DH work the Friday after Thanksgiving. Luckily, we don't mind. I know some people do.
I do always feel awful for people who work the actual holiday though. Oddly enough, most of the people I have talked to who work on holidays are ok with it. They always tell me they volunteered because of time and a half. I know that's not everyone though. When we go to breakfast on Christmas, we usually tip 60-80% depending on the level of service. Maybe that's why they don't mind working that day!

Anyway, no we don't do Black Friday. We tried one year, and everything was gone. There is no way I'm getting up to camp out to save a little money. You have to really be aggressive and strategic to get those excellent deals. Plus I noticed that immediately after Black Friday, prices are lower anyway or I can find it online somewhere.

November 19th, 2012, 06:54 AM
tricia_16_'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to tricia_16_
We don't have Black Friday here. I'd probably do the same kind of thing I do Boxing Day though. If there is something specific that I REALLY want, yah I would probably line up and wait for one. But otherwise, I stay the heck away from the mall until I absolutely have to go! I hate crowds! lol
November 19th, 2012, 07:19 AM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
I went last year, it was crazy. I don't want to go but my 12yr old thinks she is going.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search