Delaying shots.

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 8th, 2012, 06:38 PM
tobi4's Avatar Tobi
Does anyone have dr sears book on vacc schedule? I'm curious about his suggestions. We have been modifying the schedule on our own. If you aren't immunizing on schedule what are you planning?

[/url
December 8th, 2012, 07:20 PM
HeatherLopez's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just skipped mmr and dtap. I'll probably hold off on those until she is 3.
December 8th, 2012, 07:32 PM
joonzgurl's Avatar Proud mama of 2 girls
We did her on schedule for 2,4 and 6 months (Pneumococca, Men C and Dtap) but have decided to forgo them for now. We will consider it more seriously when she is approaching school age.

Proud mama to:

Avery Elizabeth (08/27/2011) & Dawsyn Brielle (10/29/2013)
December 8th, 2012, 08:42 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Sorry I'm no help. I feel strongly about vaxing on schedule. I hope you get the info you're looking for!
Field Mouse likes this.

December 8th, 2012, 08:55 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
We are on a delayed schedule. But they do eventually get caught up by age 5. We just don't want so many at one time.

December 9th, 2012, 06:18 AM
joonzgurl's Avatar Proud mama of 2 girls
^That was a big part of what dr sears wrote about in his book. He feels that they are given too many at one time, especially the live vaccines. could you get it out from your library Tobi? That is what I did, but of course that means I don't have it now to refer to it for you...

ETA: I have a hard time with the vaccine schedule, because it varies so much by province and with the states too. So babies in the USA need Hep B at birth, yet babies where I live don't need it until 6th grade? I have a hard time believing the infection rates are that much different. I kind of think that the "regular" vaccine schedule has a lot more to do with corporate profits and politics than it does with actual scientific research.

Proud mama to:

Avery Elizabeth (08/27/2011) & Dawsyn Brielle (10/29/2013)

Last edited by joonzgurl; December 9th, 2012 at 06:23 AM.
December 9th, 2012, 07:40 AM
tobi4's Avatar Tobi
Great idea Rachel, I'll check our library for it! I agree with you. How can I trust what my Dr says when he profits from it? I checked out the vax boards and am even more terrified than I was before! Lol

[/url
December 9th, 2012, 09:52 AM
irishblessing's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have not read that book (it was on my list but didn't get to it). I have read a few others, as well as plenty of info on line, from our health department about each disease and the degree of seriousness of them in today's health care system.

We delay. Kaitlyn has had the 2, 4, and 6 months shots but we started the series at around 3 years old, as well as the meningitis. I'm researching the MMR at the moment and the more I do the more I'm hesitant. We don't do flu shots at all, and I'm on the fence about the chicken poxs one.

Dominic has had none to date, but I do plan to do the first series (2, 4, and 6 month ones) when he is a bit older, at least 2. I'm considering doing the meningitis one soon.

I know by then a lot of those diseases are no longer much of a concern. Meningitis is always a bad one though so I like to do that earlier. I mostly wanted the first sets for the tetanus (because I think they are at higher risk for that once they are out and about outside around DH's car stuff, guinea pig cages, dog kennels etc) and the whooping cough). So he will have those after age 2 and after that I'm still weighing the positives vs negatives of the other vaccines.
tobi4 likes this.

Thank you Vicki for my new siggy!
December 9th, 2012, 11:23 AM
mom2more's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am on the fence about this one. With my older son we pretty much vaccinated on time. Sometimes depending on my work/school schedule he got a few months behind and then would catch up later.

Both my boys have gotten the actual chicken pox so we haven't done that vaccine. My pediatrician says that they will eventually need to get the booster for that vaccine.

With my little guy the last shots we did were the 6 month ones. Then a girl I was teaching with told me about her grandson. He went in for his 6 month shots a happy, healthy baby. Soon after the shots he began having infantile seizures. He has since been diagnosed with Autism. Conicidence? Maybe, but it is enough to scare me.

My guy hasn't gotten any shots since. Partially because we have just had too much going around. Around 12 months he was teething a lot and I didn't want to take him in for any shots when he was already running a little warm and fussy and full of boogars. And since then every time I think about it someone in my house is sick and I don't want him getting any shots when his immune system may be compromised. I might be a little paranoid....but I figure it doesn't matter if he gets the shots late, as long as he eventually gets them. I plan on bringing him in after he gets over this cold he has, but I think I will have them break up the shots so he doesn't get a bunch at once.

Anyone have any links to delayed shot schedules you use??
tobi4 likes this.

December 9th, 2012, 07:06 PM
tobi4's Avatar Tobi
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandy5586 View Post
Sorry I'm no help. I feel strongly about vaxing on schedule. I hope you get the info you're looking for!
I'm curious to understand this side as well Mandy. Why do you feel strongly in favourite of vaxing?

[/url
December 9th, 2012, 07:50 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobi4 View Post
I'm curious to understand this side as well Mandy. Why do you feel strongly in favourite of vaxing?
I think this topic always turns into a battle of "who researches more" and a lot of times someone ends up being accused of not being as educated as someone else so I will just stick to that I have done my own research, as well as talking to our pediatrician, and I still choose to vax on schedule.

December 10th, 2012, 05:53 AM
Dixana's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Katelyn has a slight delay with her shots. I refused hep b at birth (I mean REALLY?) and don't feel 4 needle sticks at a time is necessary.
She will be caught up by the time she's....either 2 1/2 or 3 I cant remember for sure.
I am with Mandy though and am VERY pro vax. Delaying shots a couple months or a year is one thing, not giving them at all? .........
We had a whooping cough outbreak at AJs school last year and there have been several confirmed measles cases in the county for the first time in decades. Deadly diseases are preventable (.)

Thanks to the awesome Rachel for my siggy!

December 10th, 2012, 09:45 AM
tobi4's Avatar Tobi
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandy5586 View Post
I think this topic always turns into a battle of "who researches more" and a lot of times someone ends up being accused of not being as educated as someone else so I will just stick to that I have done my own research, as well as talking to our pediatrician, and I still choose to vax on schedule.
No argument from me Mandy. I was wondering if there was a personal reason. Sorry if my sincerity didn't come across but I was interested. I have no interest in fighting with anyone here
irishblessing and joonzgurl like this.

[/url
December 10th, 2012, 11:15 AM
Mama.Angie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We vax, though are delayed for most, and my Dr. doesn't give 4 shots at a time or anything simply because her own opinion is that it is too much. Only one time did we go in and get 2. It just seems like so much on their little bodies. Then if there is a reaction you have to figure out which vax it was for etc.
December 10th, 2012, 11:26 AM
tricia_16_'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to tricia_16_
We vaccinate on schedule. I have no reason why other than I trust our doctor and go with what she says!
December 10th, 2012, 05:55 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobi4 View Post
No argument from me Mandy. I was wondering if there was a personal reason. Sorry if my sincerity didn't come across but I was interested. I have no interest in fighting with anyone here
I didn't think you were being insincere at all I just think this is one of those "hot button" parenting issues and I didn't want to say my side and then someone come back at me with an insult of some sort. I've seen it happen to many times. I don't necessarily have a personal reason, but just research-based opinions on it. I am one of those people who reads, reads, reads and DH hates it. I am not against delaying them, but I am against delaying them until a child enters school. I think they are given before then for a reason. I do not think Autism or anything similar have anything to do with vaccinations. But also, Brynlee has never had more than two sticks at a wellness check so I am confused on why some posted about 4 needle pokes, etc. I guess I didn't realize that some doctor's offices do that. It would make me so sad to see a baby get that many needle pokes at once. So maybe if that were the case here, I would feel differently about spreading the shots out. Just my two cents

December 10th, 2012, 07:47 PM
Here its 3 needles/sometimes 4 and an oral vax. When we go to a military hospital they use a bioinjector which is awful Ive had one and let me say they are not fun! So one at a time for my kiddos and they are caught up before they enter school.

December 10th, 2012, 07:51 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by navywifey2003 View Post
Here its 3 needles/sometimes 4 and an oral vax. When we go to a military hospital they use a bioinjector which is awful Ive had one and let me say they are not fun! So one at a time for my kiddos and they are caught up before they enter school.
Bioinjector? What's that?
Alex has just gotten regular ol' shots so far at the military hospital here.

Thanks to Bokkechick for my siggy.

December 10th, 2012, 08:55 PM
It's an air gun. There is no needle just a vile put into a gun that is under so much pressure it can shoot the vaccine through the skin. It's suppose to be safer I guess.

December 10th, 2012, 09:09 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by navywifey2003 View Post
It's an air gun. There is no needle just a vile put into a gun that is under so much pressure it can shoot the vaccine through the skin. It's suppose to be safer I guess.
That sounds awful. Glad they don't use that here.

Thanks to Bokkechick for my siggy.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search