Thirsty babies

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 19th, 2012, 10:27 AM
mBABYe's Avatar ♥ Life with BOYS ♥
What have your kiddos had to drink? (besides formula, milk, or breastmilk)

Jason has only had water up until now. He drinks it with all his meals. (we save milk for morning and night time) I was just pouring juice for my older boy and wondered if I should give it a try. It's just apple juice. A couple months ago he drank a sippy cup full of his brother's orange juice and he got a little irritated. No rash or anything crazy like that.. just a little red and it was gone after one diaper.. but still.. it makes me slightly nervous to try again. I'm allergic to oranges so I'm thinking maybe he is too..? We'll try again in a few months. Doc said that most babies get a little red after oj-pee so not to mark him off in the "allergic" category just yet. LOL

Wife since 2004. ♥ Mom since 2008.

♥ TTC #1: 4 yrs, 2 months ♥ TTC #2: 1 yr, 5 months ♥ #3: Surprise twins lost at 7 & 10 weeks.

December 19th, 2012, 10:33 AM
ratladee's Avatar Madison Marie, My Sweet P
She only has water One time I let her have a sip of my grape juice because she grabbed my "big girl cup" and tried to drink out of it. She was chasing me all over the house trying to get my grape juice after that.

December 19th, 2012, 10:35 AM
Julka
He only gets water in his sippy cup. He LOVES water! There was one time when I put some apple juice in his sippy cup - he tasted it, then angrily threw the cup across the room. This morning, my girls were drinking orange juice and I gave him a tiny bit to try (from a spoon), he took 2 spoons of it and then turned his head away and made this disgusted expression, lol. I don't think he's into juice (yet!)
December 19th, 2012, 11:12 AM
KCMomma's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Mason has to drink some prune juice. Against my better judgment...but he has some poop issues and this seems to help. He only gets one glass at lunch the rest is water and almond milk (since he also had some issue with cow's milk)

Thank you Julka for my beautifully, perfect siggy!!

December 19th, 2012, 11:55 AM
Snookums's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So far he has milk first thing in the morning and bedtime and water rest of the day.
He's not that great with a sippy yet. I have considered trying juice in his cup to see I that 'helps' him become more proficient but I haven't yet. My dd never had juice until she was 2. I wanted to do the same with him but that is highly unlikely.
Not to mention when my dd has an apple juice box and leaves it on the table he is ALL over it! He's probably had juice squirting the darn empty box at his mouth lol

December 19th, 2012, 12:13 PM
Loves Kate!
We've only done water.

For those of you who said they do milk in the morning and night, why not all day? How much milk vs. water should they be getting?

Born 11/19/11
December 19th, 2012, 03:28 PM
jmills1129's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Just water and BM

9w4d, June, 16 2013
Missing My Angel baby
December 19th, 2012, 06:14 PM
sareymac's Avatar Mommy to Gary & Adalyn
Wellp, I am the outcast, Gary has had water, milk, apple juice with water and grape juice with water. He had prune juice when he was like 5m and wouldnt crap.lol. I he usually on normal days only has milk or sometimes water but he has had juices too.

Happily married to the love of my life, mom of two beautiful babies, Gary & Adalyn
December 19th, 2012, 06:41 PM
Julka
Quote:
Originally Posted by swild19 View Post

For those of you who said they do milk in the morning and night, why not all day? How much milk vs. water should they be getting?
I don't know what they should be getting... but Sebastian gets a 9oz bottle of whole milk first thing in the morning, and a 7-8oz bottle before bed at night. We only do 2 bottles and he doesn't like milk in his sippy cup, just water. So it's sort-of part of a routine for us.

During the day, he gets cereal (mixed with milk), yogurts, cheese, cottage or cream cheese sandwiches. I don't think he needs anymore just plain milk throughout the day.
December 19th, 2012, 07:34 PM
Mega Super Mommy
just water and milk for us
December 20th, 2012, 05:10 AM
D@mnedYankee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
just water, Joe doesnt like juices either. He does drink milk through out the day, I think it depends on the kid. One of my friends was told to make sure her son only gets 2 things of milk a day because of the calories (at his 1 year check up he was in the 50th% for height and 80th% for weight so the Dr panicked.)

Thanks Julia for the great siggy! <3
December 20th, 2012, 05:12 AM
Lorena26's Avatar ♥ Gio's Mommy ♥
He usually gets water in his sippy cup, but he's had a few sips of juice recently.

December 20th, 2012, 06:05 AM
mBABYe's Avatar ♥ Life with BOYS ♥
Quote:

My doc recommended no more than 16-20oz a day for my son (he's 95% height/70% weight) so all kids will vary I'm sure. We only do sippy cups (no bottles) so it was easy to do the change. Most days he gets one in the morning and one at night with water throughout the day. Some days I will give him a small one in the morning (maybe 4oz), then another small one after nap, & a large one (8-10oz) before bedtime. There's no right or wrong really... just do what you think is best If you think he's having too much milk all day long try making smaller cups each time..? It just may be a habit thing.

Here's what I found online...

It's important to watch out for iron deficiency after kids reaches 1 year of age. It can affect their physical, mental, and behavioral development, and also can lead to anemia.

To help prevent iron deficiency:

Limit your child's milk intake to 16-24 full ounces (480-720 milliliters) a day.
Increase iron-rich foods in your child's diet, like meat, poultry, fish, beans, and iron-fortified foods.
Continue serving iron-fortified cereal until your child is 18 to 24 months old.
Talk with your doctor if you're concerned that your child drinks a lot of cow's milk or isn't getting enough iron, or if you're thinking of giving your child a vitamin supplement.

Wife since 2004. ♥ Mom since 2008.

♥ TTC #1: 4 yrs, 2 months ♥ TTC #2: 1 yr, 5 months ♥ #3: Surprise twins lost at 7 & 10 weeks.

Last edited by mBABYe; December 20th, 2012 at 06:08 AM.
December 20th, 2012, 10:50 AM
Snookums's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
We've only done water.

For us that's all he'll drink lol, he's too busy/distracted during the day. I've tried before naps, after naps and lunch but he just throws it.
We don't want him to have too much milk anyways. Our dd has issues with constipation and too much milk exasterbates the problem so we're a little sensitive to amounts consumed.

December 20th, 2012, 07:56 PM
Thismamaisonherway's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
He drinks mainly water and no cow's milk for him. DH has some dairy allergies so we are on almond milk.

He has had apple juice mixed with water in a sippy and aloe juice the other day. I am not a fan of juices. My oldest hardly ever had juice when he was a baby and won't drink it now that he is older.
December 25th, 2012, 04:13 PM
Ali15's Avatar LovingMy3Miracles
Just water. But unlike my other two sons Grey doesn't seem to like water much (yet). My other two guzzle water all day long - and have always loved it! LOL I've considered putting a splash of juice in Grey's water to see if that helps get him going on it...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search