OT - Selling Dog

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Leogirl

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 7th, 2013, 08:27 AM
tricia_16_'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to tricia_16_
I feel like now with Tucker we literally have NO time for our dog. He is not well behaved to begin with, and a big part of me is thinking he causes us a lot more stress than he gives us any happiness.

Main problem is barking. We've tried every type of bark collar on the market (costing us hundreds of dollars), a "pet corrector" spray, and obedience classes, and he still just barks at EVERYTHING. Other problem with him is taking food from Kaylee. I get if she is walking past him he might take it... but last night she was sitting on my lap and he came right up to her in front of me and took her cookie right out of her hand! Not okay!!!

So my question is... did any of you ever get rid of a pet? How did you feel afterwards? I'm afraid to miss him and regret it as soon as he's gone, and that maybe I will feel differently once we don't have two small kids that need constant attention, but there is really no way of knowing how I will feel until he's gone...

Any advice?
January 7th, 2013, 09:57 AM
mccaroline's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You have no idea how many times I've thought about getting rid of our dog. We got her when DD1 was only 1 and we had all the time in the world for a dog and a big yard for her. Now we're in a townhouse with no yard, have 3 kids and are hardly ever home, our dog is great but it's so unfair to her when we are gone every weekend.

Here's what we did, if you can afford it send your dog to a kennel or a friends house or some other place where you won't have contact with the dog for a week or longer and see how your family reacts and how you feel.

After not having her around we realized that we really missed her during the week, so now we just find new arrangements for her when we are away, she visits my parents on the farm or we have my SIL come check in on her if it's just for a day to make her weekends a little better when we're away.

I had to give away a kitty when we had DD1, found out the cat hated babies, I cryed for a week. Thats why I'd try a temporary thing first just so you don't do something you'd regret.

January 7th, 2013, 10:11 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We had to give away a dog a few years before we had Alex. We had moved, and i had gone back to work and he was just awful and destructive and tearing my parents' (who we were living with) house apart. So we took him back with us on a trip to my in laws and he stayed with my inlaws. He loves it here, he's so mich happier. It was sad when we gave him to the inlaws but i still get to see him when we visit occasionally and it's nice to see hpw happy he is.

Maybe if you decide to give him away, you can find a friend or family member and can still get to visit with him from time to time?

Thanks to Bokkechick for my siggy.

January 7th, 2013, 10:21 AM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
No advice, but wanted to offer some ((hugs)) ! Getting rid of a pet is no easy decision!
January 7th, 2013, 11:35 AM
BeccaM's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to BeccaM
We had to get rid of our dog Chewy after Cole was born. We tried everything but Chewy would growl and snap at Cole. We could not take the chance of Cole getting hurt. Plus we just didnt have the time to give Chewy the attention he also deserved. Chewy was older so we went with a local rescue group. The owner took him in until she was able to find a good home for him. It was hard but we know it was the best decision.
January 8th, 2013, 10:25 AM
Leogirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would try something tempoary first to see how things are then if you still want to re-home the dog look at friends and family first. If you don't know anyone who wants him then you can try to find one your self or look into a breed rescue. Please use the animal shelter as a very last resort. In most shelters dogs are given 3 to 7 days before being put down.
AniLand and marieks85 like this.

January 8th, 2013, 10:46 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I had to rehome a dog a couple years ago. It was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. My pets are my family members. In my opinion, the barking, chewing, and all other "bad" habits are something you sign up for when you take in a pet. So, I worked with her through everything, and some of it was more successful than others but I accepted the good with the bad. However, she became aggressive and started fighting with my other dogs. That's the only way I would ever give up a pet - if they were causing harm to the other pets (or people) in my family. This was about 3 years ago, and I still miss her.

Once I decided she was harmful to the other pets, I dedicated myself to finding her the perfect home. It took several months, but I didn't settle for just anybody. I found an older couple who loved animals like I do. They wanted a dog who they could take hiking (she was a high energy dog and needed the exercise), and they had a big, safe back yard for her to enjoy. When I brought her over there to meet them, they were cooking her a small turkey to mix in with her dog food. It was such a good feeling. That was my only saving grace - was knowing that she would be treated like a part of their family.

William Jeffery, born 8/1/11
Evan John, born 2/24/13

Visit my blogs.
http://www.anilandcontinuied.blogspot.com/
http://reverendanissa.blogspot.com/
January 8th, 2013, 11:05 AM
Mama.Angie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
No dog experience, but I hope you figure something out that works for you and your dog!
January 8th, 2013, 11:05 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I agree with trying something temporary. I also agree with Ani. When you get animals, you sign up for the normal things that animals do. My DH is totally annoyed when our two huge dogs bark...at other dogs, at birds, at people going through the alley...but that is totally normal. Now if they were to attempt to hurt Brynlee then we would definitely have to re-home him or her. I do think that people often get animals and do not think long term how they may affect their lives. DH complains when we go out of town and we have to ask his Dad to come over (uh right down the street) and feed them. We're never gone more than 2 days though. Yet DH wanted those dogs. DH got me a kitten when I didn't even ask for one and now I have been stuck with her for almost 4 years, lol.

Anyway, yes if you can start with a temporary home...try that. See how your family feels with the dog gone and then if ya'll think that is fine then start finding a new home. It is hard no matter what though!

In college, I was stupid and found a litter of puppies. I found homes for 3 of them, but kept one...it was so dumb. I lived in a one bedroom apartment and was a full time student, full time waitress. So I ended up finding a new home for her. The first person BROUGHT HER BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!! The second family...BROUGHT HER BACK!!!! The 3rd one was a nice young man who was in the ranching/farming community. He kept her. He sent me a picture of her many months later, but I accidentally deleted his email while cleaning out my inbox. But it sure was nice to get an email showing how happy she was to be running free on a ranch!!

January 8th, 2013, 02:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I love the ideas these ladies have. I do have to say though that I would try an stay in contact a little with the person (like a picture of the dog at Christmas) and let them know they can bring the dog back for any reason anytime. I worked in a shelter and I can't tell you how many people brought adult dogs to us right after they got them from other people. They did not have an attachment to the dog so it didn't bother them that by the end of the weekend the dog would be euthanized. We were able to encourage people to contact the owners and 9/10 times the owner took the dog back and found another home. Animals are tough especially with babies around so I understand yor situation! Hope you can find a good home for him!

Thank you babydoll213 for my siggy!
January 8th, 2013, 03:56 PM
irishblessing's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It definitely can be a challenge to make time for animals while raising kids. It does get easier as they get older though. So if you think you will end up wanting another pet in a few years when the kids really can enjoy one and help out with it as well, then I would say try to work on the issues and keep him.

Our situation is a bit different because I train/show and once in a while breed dogs professionally so dogs do come and go from time to time. Most of the time it doesn't bother me very much if I have to place one as long as I know it's the right home for it and it adjusts well. Some dogs adjust very well to a new home and some do not. I have some that I could never ever get rid of and some that I am less bonded too so it does depend on how much you really like your dog.

What I would consider most is the age of the dog. What about your dog would make him a good addition to a new family? Because a lot of people do see them as somewhat disposable. If he isn't behaving very well to begin with I would recommend making sure the new family knows all his issues. Because if you pair a dog with some unknown bad habits, put him in a new environment where he might act up and have trouble adjusting, it can make everything appear worse than he would normally be. He could also do fine, it's hard to know.

Thank you Vicki for my new siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search