Flu Shots

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 8th, 2013, 07:23 PM
~Rae~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Are you or anyone in your family getting one? We never have and never considered it before, but the hype on the news has me scared now. A 6 year old died from it this week.
They're also talking about how many people are hospitalized each year because of it.
I'm not worried about myself, but now I'm scared that one of my kids will catch it & I'll regret not getting them the shot.

January 8th, 2013, 07:37 PM
Happy Mommy
not this year. usually every other year it seems
January 8th, 2013, 08:12 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We all did ours in October, flu hit early and hard this winter up here
January 8th, 2013, 08:27 PM
joonzgurl's Avatar Proud mama of 2 girls
I don't get flu shots. They push it really hard up here, but I just choose not to. I am not comfortable getting it for Avery even though it is on the routine immunization schedule.

Proud mama to:

Avery Elizabeth (08/27/2011) & Dawsyn Brielle (10/29/2013)
January 8th, 2013, 09:10 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I have only ever gotten one, when I was pregnant. They really pushed for one for Alex at her 15 month but she'd already gotten 4 sticks that day and I felt that was enough. Especially since we are so rarely around people who could make us sick. Still thinking about it for her 18 month appt.

Thanks to Bokkechick for my siggy.

January 9th, 2013, 04:28 AM
mccaroline's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Our family doesn't get it either. They also push it really hard, but I've always refused for me and for my kids.

January 9th, 2013, 06:06 AM
Platinum Supermommy
My doctor's office hasn't pushed it, but she has an appt at the end of this month and I am sure they will bring it up then.

DH and I never get the flu shot and neither of us ever get the flu. *knocks on wood* Sure, we get sick. But not the flu.

I do think about getting Brynlee the flu shot since she is in daycare and there's 2 kids that are seriously constantly sick and sick looking. I'm not sure though. I doubt we will do it.

January 9th, 2013, 07:18 AM
Mama.Angie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We don't get them.
January 9th, 2013, 08:37 AM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
We decline flu shots as well.
January 9th, 2013, 12:32 PM
wingqueen26's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Absolutely yes. Everyone has had the shot in our house except the newborn.

thank u quantum leap for my siggy

January 9th, 2013, 02:13 PM
irishblessing's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm in healthcare and I still decline them. I'm not prone to the flu, and my family doesn't seem to be either. I know the whole thing about taking it to protect others etc. But honestly I seriously doubt it's effectiveness, and am not interested in taking it myself or having my kids take it. It's funny too, people at my work have been really sick this year including lots of people that have the flu shot. I've heard plenty of stories about people getting longer lasting sickness after having it. Of course, I do take precautions if I'm working with sick people and co-workers, such as wearing my mask and washing my hands a lot.

Thank you Vicki for my new siggy!
January 10th, 2013, 07:37 AM
MommytoaMiracle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I got it while I was pregnant (I don't normally) but I doubt I will give it to Savannah. She will either get the flu or she won't, is the way I see it because plenty of people still get the flu even WITH the shot, so it seems pointless to me.
January 10th, 2013, 08:23 AM
Super Mommy
Where I work as a nurse it's mandatory for us to get the flu shot or we'd get fired. However, I'd get one anyways. This year, we've had 3 people in their 30s with influenza that have been critically ill, thankfully all have survived. At Jacob's 15 month appointment, he got the flu shot and at his 18 month appointment he'll get the 2nd one. Plus, I make sure my husband and in-laws get their flu shots as well since they're around Jacob all the time.
January 10th, 2013, 10:38 AM
mom2more's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We don't get them. I got it one year and that year I had the worst flus I have ever had! Plus I got sick right after getting the shot. Maybe it was a coincidence, but I don't know. We don't get the flu every year and from what I understand the flu shot only protects you from some strains of the flu.

The only time I ever got the kids flu shots was when H1N1 was a big deal a few years ago. I got my kids that shot because I heard H1N1 was very dangerous for people with respiratory issues and two of our kids are asthmatic.

To be hones I can't even tell you the last time one of my kids had the flu?

January 10th, 2013, 11:09 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We get them. It seems like they make everyone sick but Tristan and I handle tem fine. I used to get sick once or twice a year and after getting the shot I've been sick maybe once (in 2 years). We have ha a pretty bad flu season. Last Saturday an otherwise healthy 2 year old boy died from complications from influenza and the week before an 80 year old woman. It's scary how some people get it so critically and others dont

Thank you babydoll213 for my siggy!
January 11th, 2013, 06:38 AM
sweetgirl51305's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Dh got his, and Lilli got the 1st round. I have chosen not to get mine. I know I probably should, but the dr's here are saying the flu shot will probably not be affective on the strand that's going around. So, since we are tight on $ I'm not going to do it.

~*Visit my ETSY shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/SillyWillyLilli*~
January 11th, 2013, 08:35 AM
Platinum Supermommy
K and little rose got them in december at their dr appts. little rose only needed the booster since she had the flu shot in March. M hasn't been in yet to the dr to get hers, but I need to get on that.

I do them because of the kids having been in daycare for most of their lives. Too many others around that could give them something.

Dh and I haven't gotten them, even though DH could get his for free from work.
January 13th, 2013, 09:57 PM
.stargirl.'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We don't get them.
January 15th, 2013, 01:24 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We don't get them.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search