Inductions

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By navywifey2003
  • 1 Post By ~Rae~

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 9th, 2013, 12:18 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I am not typically one who cares AT ALL about other women's birth choices. (That has been very clear over the last 2 years here!) And I totally understand being miserable while pregnant, etc. But one of my friends from high school posted on FB that her baby will be here no later than the 25th of Feb. Well, of course that made me curious on how she knows that since this is her first baby so I assumed she is not having a repeat scheduled C-section. She posted that her due date is Feb. 18th, but that her doctor said if she doesn't have him by the 22nd then he will induce her. So, out of curiosity, I asked if she had GD or some other medical condition as to why he was going to induce 4 days after her due date. She said no, no complications. That this must just be his standard operating procedure.

I guess it just blows my mind that women just say "okay" and go with it. I mean, maybe she did do the research and go ahead and agree that his plan is fine with her. If so, then fine...she did the research and made a decision for herself. But if she didn't and she is just going along with what her doctor said...which happens a lot with first time Moms...I don't know...that is what makes me shake my head.

Yes, I was induced one week before my due date. But I had Gestational Diabetes. Doctor mentioned there could be complications at birth. I researched GD (lots) and also complications at birth. I made an educated decision that yes, I would be induced a week early. Do I want to be induced again? HELL FREAKING NO! If I have GD again, will I be induced if I don't have her on my own? Probably. It sucks though. Induction is so rough (at least it was for me).

I guess I shouldn't judge her because I DO NOT KNOW that she is just agreeing with her doc. Like I said, she may have done lots of research and decided that is best for her. But if she didn't....that's what makes me shake my head!

/end rant

January 9th, 2013, 12:26 PM
wingqueen26's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was due with Adele on August 11. I wanted her born on August 7 because that was my birthday and my wedding anniversary. I told my OBGYN and he said we could induce on that day but I told him I didn't want to induce just for that reason. That I had hoped she would come that day on her own. She didn't. She didn't want to come out at all so we induced after my due date which is standard operating procedure for advanced maternal age ladies like myself. I guess the point of my story is that my doctor would not have had any problem inducing me for a lame reason like wanting my daughter born on my birthday. I trust that doctors do so many inductions that they do not view it as a risk. Yeah, there is lots of research out there about inductions, risk, etc but OBGYNs do this stuff everyday, I think the impact of risk is lost on them. I really do. I really like my doctor though, I am sure I am just a number to him but I really liked him alot.

thank u quantum leap for my siggy

January 9th, 2013, 12:51 PM
Mama.Angie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I started writing a huge story about my own personal experience with induction, but I scrapped it, sort of went off on a tangent.

Anyhow, I think women who walk into a pregnancy and just let others tell them what they need and what to do are doing a disservice to themselves and their baby. If induction is a reality, look into it. We had quite a few women on this board, myself included, who were induced. I bet not one of our stories is the same. I made a lot of decisions in regards to my own induction. I am very happy with how mine turned out.

Would I choose it if I was having a normal pregnancy? No, likely not. Overdue? I would reassess each day over. I'm fine to go over, but I've only ever gone 2 days over. I might feel differently at 42+ weeks. I'd decide then. I wouldn't be planning with Dr's on what if's until I got there.
January 9th, 2013, 01:05 PM
Platinum Supermommy
See that's my viewpoint, too (I agree with what both of you said). I think that too many women just agree with whatever their doctor says without really looking into their options. Sure, some are just excited and want to meet their baby ASAP so they beg/agree to be induced. Sometimes they end up fine, other times they end up in emergency c-sections or a doctor forcing them to go into a c-section. When it could have been avoided. I also think that SOME doctors are just looking for the easiest way to get the L&D over with.

I just don't get her situation, but I also don't know all of the facts either so I have no room to judge....

I guess I am also just thinking about when I met with my littlest sister (she is due April 5th) and some of the conversations we had about her doctors, etc...anyway, I dunno.

January 9th, 2013, 01:12 PM
mccaroline's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Isn't Feb 18- Feeb 25 a week? That's standard proceedure around here too.

There are lots of first time moms who, myself included, just trust their doctor and go with what is recomended. I know with my first by the time my doctor told me I needed to be induced I was so scared that I just went along with whatever she wanted at that point. If I had known then what I know now I may have questioned more, but seriously if put in the same position again, I may be just as scared and do as I was told. Now, as a disclaimer when I was told I was being induced it was spur of the moment leave my doctor's office and head to the hospital because my bp was 220/140.

January 9th, 2013, 01:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccaroline View Post
Isn't Feb 18- Feeb 25 a week? That's standard proceedure around here too.

There are lots of first time moms who, myself included, just trust their doctor and go with what is recomended. I know with my first by the time my doctor told me I needed to be induced I was so scared that I just went along with whatever she wanted at that point. If I had known then what I know now I may have questioned more, but seriously if put in the same position again, I may be just as scared and do as I was told. Now, as a disclaimer when I was told I was being induced it was spur of the moment leave my doctor's office and head to the hospital because my bp was 220/140.
She said he will induce on the 22nd so that's 4 days.

But see...your high BP can be a danger to you and baby so that's totally an understandable reason for sure.

January 9th, 2013, 03:05 PM
joonzgurl's Avatar Proud mama of 2 girls
I couldn't agree more Mandy. It's one thing to make an educated choice, it's another to just do whatever your dr says. All doctors have different opinions, and NEWSFLASH, doctors are just normal people like you and me! Just because one doctor has a standard operating procedure doesn't mean it is the right thing for every individual baby and mama.

Here in Alberta it is standard to induce 10 days past your due date. It is illegal to induce for any reason other than medical (for reasons like wingqueen etc, that is not allowed to happen here).

That being said, when I reached 10 days past my doctor had no problem waiting a few extra days because she knew how important it was to me to go into labour on my own. Didn't happen that way unfortunately.

Proud mama to:

Avery Elizabeth (08/27/2011) & Dawsyn Brielle (10/29/2013)
January 9th, 2013, 03:18 PM
mccaroline's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandy5586 View Post
She said he will induce on the 22nd so that's 4 days.

But see...your high BP can be a danger to you and baby so that's totally an understandable reason for sure.
Sorry, I saw that her baby would be here by the 25th and missed they were inducing on the 22nd. That does seem awfully soon. I wonder if she knows she has choices? I know I didn't when I had my first, I thought I had to go with whatever my doctor said. I didn't know anyone else having babies and I wasn't part of a board like this with my first so I just didn't know.

January 9th, 2013, 03:33 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccaroline View Post
Sorry, I saw that her baby would be here by the 25th and missed they were inducing on the 22nd. That does seem awfully soon. I wonder if she knows she has choices? I know I didn't when I had my first, I thought I had to go with whatever my doctor said. I didn't know anyone else having babies and I wasn't part of a board like this with my first so I just didn't know.
Yeah, I had commented and said that I hope she goes into labor on her own. I told her that I was induced because of GD and it was awful for me. She sent me a PM that said if she's not making progress then she doesn't want to be induced, but that she thinks her doctor might "make" her. I think that's the norm with FTMs. A lot just don't know better than to just trust their doctors. I'd like to think that all doctors are amazing, but unfortunately they aren't. Her doctor is the same one SIL had. She was induced, too but her labor was much better than mine. (See I am not saying induction is bad. I am just saying some people...like SIL...don't do any research at all. She just wanted the baby OUT. Asked to be induced and her doctor did it.) I did have an awesome doctor and I hope to be able to have him with my 2nd. He talked to me about GD, talked about inducing, GD complications at birth, etc and then said to talk to my husband, read about it, etc and then we would discuss it at my next appointment. So that's what I did.

Anyway, I didn't post this to make anyone feel bad about being induced. It was more of a rant about moms not researching their options. I think too many moms end up with unneccessary c-sections and such.

January 9th, 2013, 03:36 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My sisters doctor (also mine) induced her in her due date when her cervix was barely soft and not dilated at all. She was in labor for 18 hours then had a c section. She had a perfect pregnancy and was only induced bc our doctor was leaving the next day for vacation (of course she doesn't say that's why... when it got close to my due date we thought my due date was off an she wanted to induce me right on my due date too when baby was measuring only 39 weeks. I said no way and ended up having Tristan on my due date naturally. After seeing what my sister went through I was not going to risk anything. Being pregnant sucks but having a baby before they're ready to come out would be worse for everyone

Thank you babydoll213 for my siggy!
January 9th, 2013, 04:01 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
This is a situation that is close to my heart because I am so passionate about birth. Our c/s rate in the u/s is out of control. Some hospitals are over 70%, I find it hard to believe that rates like those are necessary. The ACOG suggests a rate of 20% or less. A lot of this is due to inductions for non medical reasons. Which is you are favorable with a good bishops score you have uped your chance of a c/s to almost 50%. I am not one to push my birth ideas onto anyone, it's not my decision. But I am one to stand up for better practices in our hospitals. Many hospitals are beginning to take the stance that it is against policy to induce without medical reason before 40 weeks. My biggest problem is a due date really is a guess. And a week can make all the difference. Now for emergencies and different circumstances I have a different view point obviously. With so much information available now my wish is that people educate themselves on what their doctors say and make an informed choice. I always make sure to tell people that they have a choice and a voice.
irishblessing, ~Rae~ and marieks85 like this.

January 9th, 2013, 07:41 PM
~Rae~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My niece was induced last month for absolutely no reason. She went to her 38 week appointment, the nurse saw that she had gained 5 lbs since the last visit, & whipped out the calendar & scheduled an induction for the following week...around the doctor's schedule of course. I tried to talk her out of it because I was so scared she'd end up with a c-section. After my extended recovery time & possible adhesions around the uterus, I wouldn't wish one one my worst enemy. She kept saying, "Well we don't want him to get too big." She had just had an u/s the day before the induction was scheduled & he measured at a little less than 7 lbs! I told her the baby wouldn't suddenly pack on 3 lbs by her dd. She didn't listen & I think it was mainly because she just wanted the baby out, & she also couldn't stand to see the scale climb any higher. She gained 55 lbs, & to a 20 year old that is the stuff nightmares are made of.

Anyway, luckily her induction went great. 4 hours start to finish. Labor pre epidural was hell though. She says she will never do pitocin again.

I don't like her doctor's way of thinking at all. I didn't like that he was so cavalier about inducing her, & I also didn't like how he attended the birth. He walked in & immediately announced to one of the nurses that he didn't have a lot of time because he had to get back to the O.R. Tuh! She's a ftm, she could be pushing forever. He knew that of course & decided after 3-4 pushes to use the vacuum. It was just pathetic. He just snatched the baby out in like 7 minutes, no lie.

I'm not having anymore kids & if I were, I'm not going to pretend I'd be one to run off to a midwife or birth alone or anything like that, but I do believe that our entire system is broken & something needs to be done. It's not just maternity either. I have my gripes about my NICU experience. Plenty of them. I'll shut up now though because I could go on forever.
joonzgurl likes this.

Last edited by ~Rae~; January 9th, 2013 at 07:44 PM.
January 9th, 2013, 09:37 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Sadly for a developed country our maternal and fetal death rate are high. And the should not be that high. Now that's taking in tons of factors. But our system is very broken. I honestly would have never thought anything of it, if it wasnt for my unplanned natural birth and my home birth. Now home birth is not for everyone BUT the care we received during our pregnancy is care I wish for every women to receive. The fact that we could make informed decisions together about testing (everything was offered if we wanted it.) instead of feeling like I am following orders. I see a need of course for high risk doctors, ect. But let's face it for a normal routine pregnancy it should be a team effort. You should feel informed to make your own choice and not bullied into one. I never thought I would be this way. But birth is such a personal experience to have such impersonal care and delivery.

January 10th, 2013, 06:43 AM
Platinum Supermommy
While I have not had the discomfort of getting to my due date, or even close, I do remember quite clearly how uncomfortable I was at the end. I also remember practically getting on my hands and knees to beg the dr to induce me with little rose.
While I still have my doubts about whether waiting was best for her because of her health situation and how close we probably were to losing her, I agree about the early inductions for non-medical reasons.

My SIL had both her kids induced before her due date. They were healthy, but she didn't have any medical reason to induce. Her dr was fine inducing up to 2 weeks before her due date - to make it easier on her schedule (my SIL's, not the dr).

Most of DH's family go over their due dates regularly - like a week or better. Last year 3 of them gave birth were between 5 and 10 days past their due dates.
None of them were FTMs either.

Going as long as possible is definitely best as long as the health of the mom and baby isn't in jeopardy.
January 10th, 2013, 07:16 AM
MommytoaMiracle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree, inductions for no reason are ludacris in my opinion. Just asking for something to go wrong.
January 10th, 2013, 08:26 AM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
I have had to have pitocin with 3 of 4 pregnancies, Keelan included. It's like my body knows what to do till my water breaks and then nothing. Anyway, I can't imagine anyone choosing to be induced without trying on their own. I don't judge how other moms choose for their children, but *shudder* it's just so painful to use Pitocin.
January 10th, 2013, 11:15 AM
mom2more's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
With my first I was late. Went to the dr for my weekly check-up and she said they were going to induce. She felt he was going to be a big baby so it was best not to leave him in much longer. I was induced a few days later. I will say it was a much tougher delivery than my last, when I went into labor on my own.

January 10th, 2013, 11:58 AM
Veteran
I was induced at I think 4 days overdue but I still contend the docs due date was a week ahead. I know my body and I know when I ovulated. That being said he let me go past provided I got nst's. Well I had hbp and I think protein in urine so they induced. It was 41 hrs of labor. It was torture. I had cervadil, pitocin, balloon dilation- the whole 9 yards. BUT I had her vaginally. I credit that to going to a teaching hospital. Sure I could go to the burbs and get a nice fancy room but I like my doc, it's where I had my brain tumor removed and if got forbid anything happened its a level 1 trauma with one of the best children's hospitals in the country. I think if I had been anywhere else I would have been pushed into a section. I am really an advocate for the teaching hospitals!!!
January 11th, 2013, 12:24 PM
wingqueen26's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have two birth stories to compare. In one (my first) I was induced. I had a c-section. Kicked myself for allowing the induction thinking I could have had a vaginal birth if I wasn't induced. The 2nd time, I went into labor naturally, my water broke on its own and all that jazz. I never progressed passed 6 cm just like my first labor & delivery. The OBGYN said sometimes women fail to progress whether they are induced or not. I guess that proved their case and I guess it proved to me that I didn't ruin my first labor.

thank u quantum leap for my siggy

January 13th, 2013, 11:23 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Where I am, inductions don't happen much unless there is something wrong.

My friends went 11 days over, my sister went 6. My best friend had a few issues with blood pressure, and they induced her...for FIVE days (after the second day I'd be begging for a csection...she ended up having an emerg one). I was induced with the twins only because of the cholestasis....otherwise I would have had to suck it up (so happy I was though, I don't think my stomach could stretch anymore).

I get though how people would want to be. I was DONE with my first at 34 weeks. My water broke at 39+, and I still needed pitocin to kick start it. I would never opt for one though unless medically necessary.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search