Speech/Talking

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 11th, 2013, 09:22 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I hate to bring this up again, but I just wanted to get some honest feedback.

I don't know if Will is what they would consider "talking" yet or not. For those of you who have kids who were late talkers, at what point should I be concerned?

He babbles constantly, and he always points to things and says something that I can't understand, so I'm not sure if he is saying actual words or if it's just baby babble still. He even has inflections at the end sometimes, as if he's asking a question. So, I know in his head he is holding a perfectly normal conversation.

I just can't tell if he's saying any words, or if it's just made up babble, or if it's cause for concern yet. Everything I've read said he should be saying like 20 words (or something like that) by the time he's 18 months old, which is next month.

What do you guys think?

William Jeffery, born 8/1/11
Evan John, born 2/24/13

Visit my blogs.
http://www.anilandcontinuied.blogspot.com/
http://reverendanissa.blogspot.com/
January 11th, 2013, 10:17 AM
MommytoaMiracle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I wouldn't be concerned but I don't know much about it, either.
I think babies do things in their own times & a LOT of kids are late talkers...Savannah is a blabber mouth & she still doesn't use 20 words, so that seems extreme to me.

If it were me, I wouldn't worry but I would bring it up to her pedi to make sure I didn't need to, either.
January 11th, 2013, 11:14 AM
~Rae~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I wouldn't worry but I would keep an eye on it. I'd definitely mention it at his 18 month visit. Does he understand you when you speak? Does he follow simple commands? Does he communicate his wants somehow? If he does, he may be one if those kids who acquire a large amount of speech in spurts rather than slow & steady. Layla was a spurt baby. Xavier is a slow & steady, gaining new words almost daily. I attribute the difference to the fact that he's the second child & he has an extra teacher in Layla & he hears much more language on a daily basis. When it was just Layla, I don't think I talked as much as I have to do now with a 3 year old & 1 year old.
irishblessing likes this.

January 11th, 2013, 11:34 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Does he understand you when you speak? Does he follow simple commands? Does he communicate his wants somehow?

Yes, yes, and yes. He understands everything, he follows commands really well, and he points and grunts/whines/babbles, when he wants something.

Evan John, born 2/24/13

Visit my blogs.
January 11th, 2013, 11:34 AM
irishblessing's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It's something I would start to watch and definitely mention at his appointment. But it's still early so I would try not to worry. I can't remember how many words Kaitlyn said by this age, it was less than Dominic has but probably still close to the recommended amount. I agree with Rae about the second child. I feel like he is exposed to so much more vocabulary on a daily basis.

Thank you Vicki for my new siggy!
January 11th, 2013, 01:08 PM
wingqueen26's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Adele is a babbler, having conversations with us that we don't understand at all. It is frustrating for both her and us especially when she's pointing to something and saying something but the item we think she's pointing to is clearly not what she's wanting. Anyway, she's not saying 20 words and she is not putting words together and I've read on here that some kids are starting to string words together. We are definitely not that far.

thank u quantum leap for my siggy

January 11th, 2013, 03:39 PM
~Rae~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Xavier strings words together, but he's older. The phrases also don't sound great. Ie "pim meee!" Is pick me up. "Der de is" is there it is etc. You'll be surprised how quickly they acquire language if they're the type to aquire in spurts. Don't be surprised if next month he goes from nothing to a 3 word phrase!

It's like Xavier & his walking. He went from refusing to walk to walking perfectly, skipping the early walking drunk walk babies do at the beginning.

January 11th, 2013, 06:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Tristan babbles all the time but doesn't really say "words". Toddlers work on different skills at different times. Even though will isn't "talking" he is probably more focused on figuring things out or working on other skills. Einstein didn't start talking until he was 3! At 18 months they are still working on their consonant sounds so even though it seems like he's not talking, babbling is his version of it.
MommytoaMiracle and Ahari like this.

Thank you babydoll213 for my siggy!
January 11th, 2013, 07:01 PM
Happy Mommy
I haven't read all replies.

when he talks about things, points at them, and says something you don't understand, it is the same or similar sound each time? they might not say "ball" clear as day, but might pick up the ball and say "ba" every time. that is considered talking and a word.
January 11th, 2013, 08:01 PM
HeatherLopez's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ari doesn't say much at all, she just whines, grunts, and babbles a lot. Aleeya was the opposite. She was a very early talker.
January 11th, 2013, 09:09 PM
joonzgurl's Avatar Proud mama of 2 girls
Avery is just like him! No real words, just lots of grunts and inflections. But she follows directions, points and communicates her needs and wants.

Also, my best friend who I see multiple times per week is a speech pathologist (who we would be sent to for assessment) tells me that she is fine. So I am not worried.
AniLand likes this.

Proud mama to:

Avery Elizabeth (08/27/2011) & Dawsyn Brielle (10/29/2013)
January 13th, 2013, 01:13 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Alex mostly babbles and stuff too.

But she's in the middle of a word explosion it seems the last few days. She went from saying very little recognizable stuff to several new things in a matter of days.

And like Ro said, maybe he's saying stuff but it doesnt quite sound like the word. Alex has a few words that I've started to notice that don't really sound like a full word. Like milk, mostly all I get out of her is the K sound but I know that's what she means.

Thanks to Bokkechick for my siggy.

January 13th, 2013, 06:39 AM
tricia_16_'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to tricia_16_
Kaylee is nowhere near 20 words either, but I'm not concerned. It's really clear that she understands, and sometimes she will repeat big words with excellent clarity. I think she is so good at getting her needs met without words she isn't really trying just yet lol
January 13th, 2013, 07:27 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We have a lot of babbling here.

When K was 18 months, the dr was looking for 4-10 words, not 20.

Like the other ladies said, things can go from babbling to many, many words in just a couple weeks.
January 13th, 2013, 12:17 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Ayla, she says a lot of words. Silas...up until about a week ago...grunted and snorted. Even now, he says things, and I can't understand him, but I am glad that he is doing something other than grunting. He says car very well (typical boy), he understands and follows commands.

My oldest started saying things around 18mths. Looking back on videos, I think she was a bit delayed, and when she went to daycare at 3, she was still a bit hard to understand.

That being said, my friend has 4yr old twin boys, and even they are hard to understand sometimes. They've been to speech therapy, even though they tested fine, and have gotten the official all clear, but are still hard to understand sometimes.

I wouldn't worry too much about it
January 14th, 2013, 11:40 AM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
Daniel was a late talker. I had him evaluated at 19 months and he qualified for services. By the time the services started, he had had a word explosion and no longer needed anything. I would honestly wait till he's two to see if he has a word explosion. Gabby was late too, but in the last few months, she's a talking fool!
January 16th, 2013, 05:32 AM
babi_lovin11's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to babi_lovin11
My first was talking VERY early, my 2nd has hearing loss and is just now starting to talk more, she is behind but in speech therapy. Now Carter is also not talking but he does understand what you are saying to him and follows commands so i'm going to wait another month or two before I bring up any concerns I may have.
January 16th, 2013, 05:47 AM
mccaroline's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
DS carries out whole conversations with people, in babble. He'll even pause and wait for you to reply. My mom says it's like talking to someone in a different language since he has the facial expressions and inflictions to go with it. It's only been in the past couple of weeks that he started adding a few words. At our last appt I was told that sounds like "uh oh" and 'bu bu" count as words long as he uses them consitantly.

January 16th, 2013, 06:30 AM
Kim
Evan has very very few words, but he babbles constantly. I think he thinks he's talking. I also think that he's just very stubborn and doesn't feel like talking, and he's going to be one of those later word explosion babies. He understands and communicates with grunts and pointing and showing me things, so I'm not worried about it just yet.

January 16th, 2013, 07:42 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccaroline View Post
DS carries out whole conversations with people, in babble. He'll even pause and wait for you to reply. My mom says it's like talking to someone in a different language since he has the facial expressions and inflictions to go with it. It's only been in the past couple of weeks that he started adding a few words. At our last appt I was told that sounds like "uh oh" and 'bu bu" count as words long as he uses them consitantly.
That's exactly wha Will does. To a T.

Evan John, born 2/24/13

Visit my blogs.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search