OT: Professional/Job Advice (way long)

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Karen+Zoe
  • 1 Post By Dee Darling 3

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 14th, 2013, 12:42 PM
Platinum Supermommy
This is geared more toward our professionals in education out there, but I guess anyone could weigh in! I just need some advice, please!

Here's the situation:
We are moving 2 hours away over Spring Break (March 11-16). I want to use my 2 weeks notice so that my "last 2 weeks" are the week of Spring Break and then the week of March 18-22. But I plan to use my remaining days of personal leave during the last week. (I am not actually sure how many days I will have because they give us the leave time at the beginning of the year based on how many contract days we work. I work through mid July. So I don't know how many actual days I have earned thus far. And of course I have used some through the year.) And so my last actual work day would be March 8th. This will also make sure that I get paid for the month of March (we are salary and get paid on the 25th of each month.) Anyway, I need to let my boss know that we are moving over Spring Break. I have been in this job for 4 years and I definitely want my boss to give me an awesome reference. So I want to give her plenty of notice, but not TOO MUCH notice.

We have a meeting on January 23rd in the afternoon. So I am thinking about telling her after the meeting when my other 4 co-workers leave. If I told her that day, that is basically a 5 week heads up before I put in my official, written 2 week notice. Like I said, I may have to adjust when I use my personal days depending on how many I have left/have earned...if I have to use any this or next month. Hopefully I will not have to use anymore this month or next month. I plan to call HR and find out how it all works as far as days worked/days earned so that I can get a ballmark figure.

So I need to know if that is too much or too little time? If it's too little time, I suppose I could tell her this week but I'd rather just wait until I am over at her office next week because I want to do it in person. If it's too much time, what is a good amount of time? My friend/co-worker said that she wouldn't tell her any later than the first week of February. So that she has at least 1 month notice that I am moving.

The deal with my job is that there's 5 of us (in my job plus 5 that do the after school programs) and we are all based on a different campus. Then our 3 bosses are based in our central office. So if I leave then there is no one to run my program. So the reason I want to give my boss plenty of notice is so that they can at least plan to interview/hire someone else (not that that should be any of my concern or worry), but I can't help it. I have built a good, solid program here and am worried about leaving the kids without me (or someone) to go to for their needs...I am worried about the kids that I send food home with every Friday. I am worried about the kids that come and talk to me all the time about their home problems. I am worried about the kids that need me. I really wanted to wait until the end of the school year to move, but DH was very set on moving at the beginning of January so we compromised. So I said Spring Break since that's a week I already have built in and we could move, put things in storage, etc.

Sorry this got so long...I am just really torn about everything and I am very emotionally connected to my students! :/

January 14th, 2013, 01:54 PM
Mummy to great girls
Ah Mandy, I have no advice but just wanted to say ...what a kind soul you are!!! I would have given my 2 weeks contraced notice only. Sounds like you guys have some solid plans now and I wish you all the very best with your move. Keep us posted on the job front and FX!!
marieks85 likes this.

January 14th, 2013, 02:26 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Mandy,
I don't know how the job market is there, but I think 5-6 week notice is ample time, especially if they want to hire someone and have them shadow you for a week.
tobi4 likes this.
January 14th, 2013, 03:34 PM
joonzgurl's Avatar Proud mama of 2 girls
I agree that 5-6 weeks is a good amount of time. But she might not be able to advertise and hire for your job until you have given notice in writing.

Proud mama to:

Avery Elizabeth (08/27/2011) & Dawsyn Brielle (10/29/2013)
January 14th, 2013, 03:45 PM
Platinum Supermommy
When my co-worker for my after school program left at the beginning of last school year, they said that they could not hire anyone until she finished her last day. She gave two weeks notice (effective immediately) and then took 10 days of personal time. They were LIVID because it was at the beginning of the school year (I was on maternity leave) and they had just done training. So they not only had no one in my spot and no one in the after school spot, but they also couldn't train or hire anyone until she finished her 10 days of leave. It was such a hassle.

Dee--It would be awesome if they hired a new person or at least interviewed someone and had him/her shadow me. I would love that. It would at least give me the chance to introduce the person to the kids and school staff and then show them the main ropes of how my program works. I am just getting upset thinking about leaving the kids mid year. Some of the 8th graders have been in my program since 6th grade. So I'm really connected to them.

January 14th, 2013, 05:16 PM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
I think 5-6 weeks is plenty of time. Not too much and not too little.
January 14th, 2013, 05:29 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree with the other ladies. Sounds like enough time for sure. I can't imagine how tough it must be for you to leave but I know how much you love those kids even though they drive everyone bonkers. 5-6 weeks is plenty of time to get people interviewed an narrowed down. I'm sure most people are not even courteous enough to give that much notice!

Thank you babydoll213 for my siggy!
January 15th, 2013, 06:18 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Mandy, I would be worried to about those students. I hate leaving my job just because of the students. Rarely do I not want to leave because of others (there are always some I'll miss), but mainly it's the kids that you work with day in and out that make it tough to leave.
January 15th, 2013, 11:14 AM
tobi4's Avatar Tobi
I agree with 5-6 weeks but I think I've missed something? You're moving? What's up with that?

[/url
January 15th, 2013, 11:16 AM
Mama.Angie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It sounds good to me, but I got nothing on the advice front. Huge hugs though! Those kids have been so lucky to have you. I hope they can figure something out as far as a replacement goes for their sakes.
January 18th, 2013, 11:57 AM
mom2more's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think you are doing the right thing with 5-6 weeks notice.

I would imagine with the job market the way it is now that they will have a good selection of candidates for your job. So many people are out of work.

January 18th, 2013, 12:10 PM
~Rae~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
5-6 weeks sounds great to me!
I know it's hard leaving your students. I'd have a hard time doing that too.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search