Nickname conundrum

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By mandy5586
  • 1 Post By AniLand
  • 1 Post By ~Rae~

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 18th, 2013, 06:07 AM
wingqueen26's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hey Ladies --- I would like some input, some BTDT advice or experience. . regarding my son's name and his nickname. When I was expecting in 2011 and we did not yet know if we were having a girl or a boy, I had names picked out for both. If I was having a boy, I would name him Adam John and call him AJ. When I learned I was having a girl, I picked Gianna. When my husband's grandmother passed away unexpectedly, we decided we would name our daughter Adele to honor his gram. Fast-forward to the 2nd pregnancy. If I were having a boy, now I was considering a family name to keep the trend going. My deceased grandfather's name is Emrys James. I told my husband we could still go with a nickname of EJ (instead of AJ). We told everyone we would name our child Emrys James but call him EJ. Then he gets here and I find myself calling him Emrys and EJ. Some people call him Emrys, some call him EJ. Its a mix but people are now asking if the little one is to be called Emrys or EJ as if I need to choose one or the other. I don't know what to do. Thoughts?

thank u quantum leap for my siggy

January 18th, 2013, 06:11 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I would just say that his name is Emrys and a little nickname for him is EJ so they can call him whichever they choose. I'd kinda make it seem like it's no big deal.

We call Brynlee and we also call her BB all the time. DH started that when she was a baby. We always called her our baby bear when I was pregnant. (A little inside thing between us from when we were dating.) So we called her baby Brynlee, baby bear...so DH decided when I was pregnant that he was going to call her BB and that NO ONE ELSE COULD...lol

Now, we both refer to her as BB and so do family members, friends, and even some of the ladies here on JM call her BB. So we call her either one.
wingqueen26 likes this.

January 18th, 2013, 06:44 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I am the same way with Will. Sometimes I call him William, and sometimes I call him Will. It's about 50-50. When people ask me what his name is, I honestly don't know which to tell them. LOL.

I think people will call him whatever they feel comfortable with. My husband has a large family, and some of them call him William, and others call him Will. He answers to both. It's funny how nick names work themselves out like that.
wingqueen26 likes this.

William Jeffery, born 8/1/11
Evan John, born 2/24/13

Visit my blogs.
http://www.anilandcontinuied.blogspot.com/
http://reverendanissa.blogspot.com/
January 18th, 2013, 06:46 AM
wingqueen26's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You guys are the best! It is so nice to have input on things like this.

thank u quantum leap for my siggy

January 18th, 2013, 07:16 AM
Platinum Supermommy
All 3 of my kids go by their names and nicknames too. It's not a big deal. Dh's family likes to do nicknames, while mine doesn't. What suits our mood is what we call the kids. However, they still get their 3 names used when they are in trouble.
January 18th, 2013, 08:16 AM
Mama.Angie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I call Alexis by Lexi sometimes. People have taken that cue and asked what I prefer them to say, I tell them to go for what they like.

I don't have too many name hang ups when it comes to my kids names. In the end they might want to be called something totally different. When they get to an age where they can say either way, I'll go with what THEY want.
January 18th, 2013, 10:14 AM
mccaroline's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I say let him decide when he gets older what he likes. For now let people call him what they want.

Both my girls have a name, a shortened version of their name and a nickname that has nothing to do with their name, and now that they're older they tell people what they want to be called. DH and I call them one thing, they have chosen what they want their teachers to call them, the let some friends call them something else.

DS has his name and 2 shortened versions of his name. DH and I call him Andrew, DH's family calls him Drew and my family calls him Andy. It makes no difference, when he gets older he'll pick the one he likes and we'll go with it.

January 18th, 2013, 10:46 AM
tricia_16_'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to tricia_16_
I agree with the above! Doesn't matter, call him both!

My aunt calls Tucker TJ and Kaylee "Kaylee K", and even calls me Trish (NEVER Tricia) and all three are totally fine by me!
January 18th, 2013, 11:19 AM
~Rae~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Since you don't mind, I think it is a good idea for him to grow up hearing both! That way once he's able to determine his preference, every single person he knows won't have to switch what they call him.
wingqueen26 likes this.

January 18th, 2013, 08:40 PM
joonzgurl's Avatar Proud mama of 2 girls
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Rae~ View Post
Since you don't mind, I think it is a good idea for him to grow up hearing both! That way once he's able to determine his preference, every single person he knows won't have to switch what they call him.
I agree with this.

Proud mama to:

Avery Elizabeth (08/27/2011) & Dawsyn Brielle (10/29/2013)
January 18th, 2013, 10:22 PM
DaniB+3's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
All of my kids have about a zillion nicknames. Madeleine is Maddie sometimes. Emma is Em and Emu (Emu was a nickname from when she was an infant). Miles gets called all sorts of things - Miles B, BB (short for Baby Burkhead, which we called him when I was pregnant), MHB (his initials but also stands for Most Handsome Boy ). Seriously, the list goes on and on. I personally think names can be pretty fluid. I don't see the "need" to pick one or another.

Thank you, *sharon*, for my siggy!

January 18th, 2013, 11:34 PM
Leogirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I wouldn't worry about picking one. He will grow up responding to both. Just tell people to call him what they like.

If it makes you feel any better I don't go by my first name. It and it's nickname just simply do not fit me. My parents tried it both ways and it just never stuck. My middle name fits like a glove though. Sure I end up having to tell people I go by Holly but it's not a big deal. It takes 2 seconds and I always know if I've signed something or not!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search