Walking vs. Running

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By mandy5586
  • 1 Post By HeatherLopez
  • 1 Post By andi2284

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 4th, 2013, 01:40 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I've gained slightly more weight with this pregnancy than I did with my first. 35 pounds and counting. And it's freaking me out a little because I have always been a size 0/2. So to see myself with actual pockets of fat is weird.

I've been thinking about weight loss after the baby is born. I used to be a long distance runner. It was nothing for me to run 10 miles after work each night. I was lean and healthy. After I had Will, I didn't have that kind of time or luxury, but I was still able to build up my mileage to 6 miles on the weekends while he napped. My weight came off and I was back into my normal clothes when I returned to work after 12 weeks. I was satisfied with that.

However, with this one, I will have two babies. Will is going to be a year and 8 months, and of course I'll have the newborn. My husband works long hours, so I won't be able to leave them with him. I am thinking I won't have any time to run or exercise. Like, AT ALL. So honestly, I'm worried. Not only was it a great way to stay lean, but it was very meditative for me.

So I was just going to ask, for those of you who have any information... do you know if walking burns the same amount of calories as running?

I'm thinking, if I can get out and walk for 10-15 minutes a day with the stroller, it would be better than nothing. And I won't have to get all geared up like I do for running (running bras, running shoes, etc). So it would be a little more convenient to walk than run. I could just wait until they are both fed, put them in the stroller, and walk as long as they will let me.

Can anybody offer any info?

William Jeffery, born 8/1/11
Evan John, born 2/24/13

Visit my blogs.
http://www.anilandcontinuied.blogspot.com/
http://reverendanissa.blogspot.com/
February 4th, 2013, 01:47 PM
tricia_16_'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to tricia_16_
I don't know anything, but good luck
February 4th, 2013, 01:51 PM
irishblessing's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
No walking does not burn as many calories as running, but yes it would still be better than nothing

Thank you Vicki for my new siggy!
February 4th, 2013, 02:33 PM
Platinum Supermommy
What about a double jogging stroller? I would rather work out alone, but sometimes I can't and Brynlee likes being in the stroller. My regular stroller is not good for jogging so I got a jogging stroller and I like it!

I know treadmills suck (I haaaate them) but could you get a treadmill? You could still get runs in.
Just_Marie likes this.

February 4th, 2013, 03:08 PM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandy5586 View Post
What about a double jogging stroller? I would rather work out alone, but sometimes I can't and Brynlee likes being in the stroller. My regular stroller is not good for jogging so I got a jogging stroller and I like it!

I know treadmills suck (I haaaate them) but could you get a treadmill? You could still get runs in.
I was going to suggest a jogging stroller too.
February 4th, 2013, 05:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I have a jogging stroller and love it. You burn probably twice as many calories running as you do walking because you're elevating your heart rate and covering more distance. However, like others said walking is better than nothing. They make pretty sweet double strollers these days and you could probably find a cheapish one on Craigslist.

Thank you babydoll213 for my siggy!
February 4th, 2013, 06:51 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had a BOB Duallie Revolution-wicked great for walk/run. I also have a great treadmill-both of those would help you achieve your goals of exercise and sanity
February 4th, 2013, 08:23 PM
HeatherLopez's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Running burns more calories, but walking is better than nothing. Remember that it's just as much about what you eat as it is about the exercise.

Honestly though, try not to worry about the weight so much the first few months. Give yourself time to adjust.
mandy5586 likes this.
February 5th, 2013, 06:56 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks everybody. I know it sounds ridiculous to start worrying about it already, but seeing myself gaining so much makes me want to have a plan in place.

William Jeffery, born 8/1/11
Evan John, born 2/24/13

Visit my blogs.
http://www.anilandcontinuied.blogspot.com/
http://reverendanissa.blogspot.com/
February 5th, 2013, 02:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Definitely agree with what everyone said.

Walking is better than nothing if you can find the time and strength to do it.
February 5th, 2013, 02:25 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I walked with my oldest in the stroller and after about 2-3 months I was able to drop the extra 10lbs of baby weight with that alone. So it does work, just a little slower.

Another suggestion, if you have a treadmill, I use a big flexible gate around it. I think it's the Superyard XT, and it allows me to have the kids down there while i workout without worrying that they can get hurt.
marieks85 likes this.

Expecting baby #4!

February 5th, 2013, 04:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by andi2284 View Post
I walked with my oldest in the stroller and after about 2-3 months I was able to drop the extra 10lbs of baby weight with that alone. So it does work, just a little slower.

Another suggestion, if you have a treadmill, I use a big flexible gate around it. I think it's the Superyard XT, and it allows me to have the kids down there while i workout without worrying that they can get hurt.
That's a great idea!

Thank you babydoll213 for my siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search