mammogram and nursing

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Dee Darling 3
  • 1 Post By Dee Darling 3

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 5th, 2013, 09:12 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Have any of you other ladies had mammograms done while you're actively nursing?

I was scheduled for one by my doctor because there is a history in my family (my mom had it once at 27 and again in her thirties). I went to it on Friday and they called me today to schedule another one plus ultrasounds. The nurse said they saw some areas they wanted to look more closely at so I'm not sure if they are actually seeing anything or if it's just from active milk duct glands? I have an appointment first thing in the morning to go in.

Thank you babydoll213 for my siggy!
February 5th, 2013, 09:20 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I just had some done on one breast two weeks ago.

My breast were very dense, so it was hard to determine areas. The u/s was also challenging to determine open ducts vs cysts (I had both).

The best part? Squirting milk onto the panels of the mammogram machine.
marieks85 likes this.
February 5th, 2013, 09:45 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Haha I know! I leaked all over when I was getting mine done. Then the pressure would come down and I'd see a stream of milk go shooting!

February 5th, 2013, 10:04 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I didn't even notice until after she was done. It was too funny - never felt it either.
marieks85 likes this.
February 5th, 2013, 10:52 AM
~Rae~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I haven't but good luck! Keep us posted.

February 5th, 2013, 11:14 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I was told not to have one until I am done nursing. Let us know what happens tomorrow.

Lew, 1, DSD Lauren, 18, and Chuck, 4
February 5th, 2013, 01:02 PM
Platinum Supermommy
After breastfeeding 2 kids, my sister developed cysts. She gets scans done every couple of years. She never had them done while breastfeeding though.

I am glad you guys mentioned that you leaked. I was curious if that squishing of the machine would do that lol. I am sure they are totally used to it.

I hope everything is fine!
February 5th, 2013, 01:23 PM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
I haven't but since I'm 40 now I need one. I'm dreading going before Keelan weans.

Keep us posted, okay?
February 5th, 2013, 01:26 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashley View Post
After breastfeeding 2 kids, my sister developed cysts. She gets scans done every couple of years. She never had them done while breastfeeding though.

I am glad you guys mentioned that you leaked. I was curious if that squishing of the machine would do that lol. I am sure they are totally used to it.

I hope everything is fine!
Luckily for me the tech didn't say much about leaking. She was already prepared for it LOL. It funny because when I get nervous or feel uncomfortable I get this weird let down feeling in my boobs so that did not help the situation

Ill definitely let you guys know what happens. It's first thing in the morning so at least I don't have to wait too long

February 6th, 2013, 11:40 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Results came back fine They just looked at my left breast (it's the only side I nurse off) and the ultrasound confirmed that everything looks normal. They want to see me in 6 months when I am done nursing but for now things look good.

My mom went with me and she was a nervous wreck lol. She kept trying to convince me that nothing was wrong (which is what I thought) as though she was trying to convince herself.

The radiologist said that she was happy I came in but wished my doctor would have had me go when I was done nusing. Evidently, its really hard to read the xrays with active milk ducts which is why they had to do the ultrasound. The only reason they went ahead with it was because my mom was 28 when she had breast cancer the first time so they wanted to be sure.

February 6th, 2013, 11:44 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm glad everything's fine.

I know my dr only sent me for an u/s, but the radiologist wanted a mammo. Looking at the u/s, it was still hard to tell cysts from the ducts because they are so dilated.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search