I think I'm Crazy - potty training

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By CoreenaC
  • 1 Post By Dee Darling 3

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 6th, 2013, 06:55 PM
irishblessing's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Should I try with Dominic?

I've been noticing more and more signs of readiness. The last week he tells me "poop" right after going, and will tell me "wet!" "Pee" etc when he is wet. Yesterday I asked him in the bathtub if he needed to poop, he said "yeah" but I did nothing and he went in the bath LOL. He has a good vocabulary, and understands directions very well.

The biggest concerns I have is I don't know how still he will be able to stay for very long on the potty. He is extremely active. And I also have my doubts that he would be able to tell he has to go ahead of time. Although today he kept saying "wet" to me and wanting his diaper off. When I checked he wasn't and then he peed a bunch right after? So maybe he is telling me?

I know he HATES to be wet, so I know if he was in underwear he wouldn't like peeing in them at all.

But really, I think it's a huge waste of time to try too early and 18 months is too early the majority of the time in my opinion. I didn't even try until DD was almost 2.5 years old. So, is it too early to bother? Or do you think he sounds like it might be worth a try?

DH seems to think it's worth trying because he has done lots of other stuff on the earlier side, but I don't know. I don't want to make things more confusing, but then ignoring his ques of not wanting to go in his diaper would probably be confusing too wouldn't it LOL

Thank you Vicki for my new siggy!
February 6th, 2013, 06:59 PM
CoreenaC's Avatar Carter-Carter's Momma
I would probably try, just offer him the potty when he indicates he has too. He may be ready, they all grow and mature on their own time line!
mom2more likes this.
DS2-EDD 9/10/14
*Thank you so much *Kiliki* for the siggy!*
February 6th, 2013, 07:20 PM
mccaroline's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My doctor asked me at DS's 18 month appt if we had started yet, so no I don't think you're crazy.

DS is fansinated with the bathroom right now, so we pop him on the potty every once in a while, usually right after nap time or before bathtime. We're not seriously training, but rather fostering the interest he already has at this point.

February 7th, 2013, 04:48 AM
~Rae~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Just give it a whirl & see what happens. I wouldn't persist beyond a pack of underwear & a day or two. If its a disaster, pack the undies away & try again in 6-12 months.

Xavier has forced me to put him on the potty several times because he wants to do everything Layla does. He also tells me when he peed by hollering "PENIS!" and that he pooped by saying " I stink (I kink)" or "I poo poo. I kinky!"

February 7th, 2013, 06:08 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Rae~ View Post
He also tells me when he peed by hollering "PENIS!" and that he pooped by saying " I stink (I kink)" or "I poo poo. I kinky!"
Oh, this must be fun when you're out in public.

I'd also give it a try with Dominic. Some kids are potty trained by 2. Maybe you'll be one of the lucky parents.
mom2more likes this.
February 7th, 2013, 06:14 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I agree with the others. I would consider giving it a shot, but don't stress out about it. He may be ready or he may be almost to the start line!

I am just doing little things for Brynlee to get used to the potty because she is similar to Dominic. When she poops, she tells me..."I pooped" or "poo poo" and she comes and stands in front of me with her butt to me for me to check. A few times, she told me "i poo poo" and then 2 seconds later made her poop face. But telling me beforehand is not consistent. The only time she tells me that she peed is if she peed a lot. Then she tries to take her diaper off. When I go to the bathroom, she comes in too and pulls her pants down (diaper still on) and sits on her potty. Sometimes she tries to take her diaper off and sometimes she doesn't.

Then when she is "done" pretend going to the bathroom, she wants to wash her hands. lol

Sometimes I ask her, do you need to go potty? And when she says yeah or yesh then I take her in there, she pulls her pants down, and sits down. But I am too nervous to take her diaper off, LOL

February 7th, 2013, 07:06 AM
Good advice. We are trying a bit, but nothing is really happening yet.
February 7th, 2013, 07:13 AM
sweetgirl51305's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'd try. We are started trying with Lilli. However, I don't think she's ready for full on potty training. She did pee and poop in the potty, but we'd always not catch it and she started refusing to go. We let her read books, do a puzzle, read our magazines, play with her belts, etc. She is very active too. Singing also helps.

~*Visit my ETSY shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/SillyWillyLilli*~
February 7th, 2013, 08:36 AM
Mama.Angie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'd try if the signs were there. I think not having any grand ideas that it will take right away will help you keep your sanity about it.

We've decided to start putting Alexis on the toilet before and after bath time and see how she likes it. It's much earlier than I expected especially with what we went through with Kairi.

Good luck!
February 7th, 2013, 10:03 AM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
Go for it. If he doesn't get the hang, don't stress and try again later.
February 7th, 2013, 04:39 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I have apotty in my living room. Ayla doesn't seem to like it, but Silas will sit on it (and mostly play with his wiener). He has yet to pee on it, but I always have it out as an option. I did it with my oldest as well. She reverted back to not wanting anything to do with it, but fully trained over a weekend at 2.5.
February 10th, 2013, 07:24 PM
DaniB+3's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Give it a try. We're going to buy a potty this week and simply put it out for him to use (or not use) at his own pace. He has such a huge interest in everyone's peeing & pooping habits in the bathroom right now that it'd be foolish not to take advantage of his curiosity and desire to mimic. Miles has definite warning signs of needing to go poop so it'd be nice if we could get him to go on the potty. My girls were somewhat early PTers. They were fully trained before the age of 2.

Thank you, *sharon*, for my siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search