Orange Rhino Challenge

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 18th, 2013, 07:01 PM
mccaroline's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I know this is a little off topic, but I'm going to need support if I'm going to make this work.

Here's the deal, I'm a yeller, I yell at my kids, I yell at my husband, I yell at my neighbours, I yell at people who don't know how to drive. I just yell, always have. Anyways, it's not making for a very peaceful household and I just came across this Orange Rhino Challenge. Ultimately it's a challenge to not yell for 365 days. Starting with a 30 day challege.

Here's the link to the blog this lady did when she came up with and started the challenge. If anyone else happens to be a yeller and wants to join me feel free. I figured Family Day is a good day to start because I'm hoping I can do this and make a more peaceful family.

January | 2012 | The Orange Rhino Challenge

February 18th, 2013, 07:41 PM
r&lsmama
Tfs! Good luck with your challenge, you can do it!!!
February 18th, 2013, 08:34 PM
tobi4's Avatar Tobi
I think that's great that you recognize it and are doing something about it! It's all worth it, you can do it!

[/url
February 19th, 2013, 07:34 AM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
Interesting! Good luck!
February 19th, 2013, 10:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
Interesting! Good luck!
Interesting is right, and good luck may be what I need. DD1 didn't want to get out of bed and was trying to push my buttons this morning. DD2 responded with "NO" to everything I asked her this morning then, just as we were getting ready to leave for school she told DH to "P*ss Off". I didn't yell once.

Tonight however may be a different story, I almost always yell while getting them ready for, or in the car on the way home from Brownies.
CoreenaC likes this.

February 19th, 2013, 02:25 PM
~Rae~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You can do it!

February 19th, 2013, 03:11 PM
Well no Brownies tonight because of the weather, so I don't have to worry about that. It did take a fair bit of self control not to yell when I got a call from the school that my lovely DD1 started a fight and hit and kicked a boy. They are really going test me with this.

February 20th, 2013, 11:54 AM
~Rae~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
LOL. Sorry to laugh, but I have to. It's amazing how as soon as you resolve to avoid something, the temptations begin to roll in.
mom2more and marieks85 like this.

February 20th, 2013, 12:00 PM
I know right? It was nice to keep calm through all of it and go to bed laughing about it rather than still being upset because I yelled at the kids and had all the mommy guilt that goes with yelling at them.

I was pretty proud of myself that I made it to bedtime without yelling once. We're onto day 2.
CoreenaC likes this.

February 21st, 2013, 10:08 PM
Dixana's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ill do this with you! or.......try to anyway. my son is a beast!

Thanks to the awesome Rachel for my siggy!

February 22nd, 2013, 05:17 AM
YAY! It will be nice to have someone do it with me, it's quite the challenge. That I'm finding harder as the days go on. There's a "support group" on FB too if you're interested Kara.

February 22nd, 2013, 07:10 AM
CoreenaC's Avatar Carter-Carter's Momma
Great job mama! I'm not a yeller but DH is and it sure does disrupt the flow at home. You can do it and in a couple days and weeks and months, you'll be amazed at the difference you feel inside and in your family.
DS2-EDD 9/10/14
*Thank you so much *Kiliki* for the siggy!*
February 22nd, 2013, 07:18 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My sister is yeller so ill show this to her. She's been like that all her life and I think it will totally trip my niece out if she starts talking calmly lol! My niece is almost 3 and already a yeller LOL

Thank you babydoll213 for my siggy!
February 22nd, 2013, 07:45 AM
The lady who started this and set it all up has done a really good job, she even has it laid out with levels of using your voice and what is and isn't acceptable. If you sing up for one of the 30 day challenges she sends out emails with tips and encouragement and expects feedback each day with how you did and what your struggles were.
CoreenaC and marieks85 like this.

February 22nd, 2013, 09:43 AM
Caroline. where do i find that?
So.....does yelling up the stairs for the kids to settle down count as yelling? LOL
if i tell Dale I'm doing this ill bet my last dollar he'll laugh so hard he cries

February 22nd, 2013, 10:26 AM
Here are the details of the challenge.

Challenge Details | The Orange Rhino Challenge

Yes, you are allowed to yell to someone to get their attention, you're not allowed to yell at someone.

February 23rd, 2013, 03:02 PM
Good grief this is going to be hard. I decided to keep a tracking sheet for a few days like she recommends. I've yelled at ds 6 times already today and Katelyn once. -sigh-

February 23rd, 2013, 06:46 PM
Yeah, I reset back to day 1 starting tomorrow too. I yelled at the whole darned family after repeatedly not being listened to as I was trying to get everyone, including DH, out the door on time and not be late for once.

Its frustrating because I talk and I might as well be talking to a wall because no one responds, I resort to yelling and they finally listen but I feel guilty for yelling.

February 24th, 2013, 09:10 AM
Same deal here Caroline I ask and talk and its like I'm mute or something. I feel horrible. With my DS especially though. I wish I could go back to when he was like 12 months old knowing what I know now about parenting. A huge part of his behavior is my fault You just don't realize with the first born that discipline needs to start early. I'm afraid if I don't correct my behavior now his will continue to get worse.
His attitude and behavior is terrible. Its embarrassing and horrible to have a 5 year old who acts like a snotty teenager. My poor son has his daddy's destructive curiosity and his moms complete lack of patience. Its not a good combination

February 24th, 2013, 11:57 AM
I know the feeling Kara. Kids, especially the first, need to come with instruction manuals.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search